Welcome to American Weather
  • Announcements

• Wow

BOARD UPGRADE   07/13/2016

As you have noticed, the board has been given a major upgrade.  There are still currently a lot of processes running in the background to complete the upgrade so expect some slow periods.  If you come across any errors, please feel free to post in the Forum Info forum to let us know.  IMPORTANT: YOU MUST LOGIN WITH YOUR DISPLAY NAME.  LOGIN NAMES ARE NO LONGER USED TO LOGIN. Thanks for your patience today!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NEG NAO

March 2- 4 Snowstorm Potential

1,722 posts in this topic

The weather is usually a lot more boring over coastal Long Island than over NJ or inland-it goes with the territory.

Believe me i know. Yank said it perfectly for summer storms " LI is like florida its where the storms go to die" :LOL:

The weather is usually a lot more boring over coastal Long Island than over NJ or inland-it goes with the territory.

We get stronger winds, coastal flooding and possible tropical landfalls. They get more snow, river flooding, more severe thunderstorms, warmer temps in the summer and more freezing rain. We live in a pretty active area where everyone sees something interesting.

*plus we have the beach!!

The PV remains more in tact instead of phasing in. The end result is endless waves of over running snow, sleet, freezing rain and rain depending on your location.

This will change every run untill Sunday!

Across the central and eastern parts of the country, there is going to be a nice area of heavy snow and ice, stretching for thousands of miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As the hours go on the main bands of precipitation continue to get forced further and further south.

Can you explain how that effects
C NJ away from the coast?

Snowing moderately still well after dark on Monday night for almost all areas. Surface is a little warm for Northern Central NJ and Eastern LI but 850's look cold. Ice for Philly area and southern PA extending eastward towards Sandy Hook. GSP from about exit 117 south looks like plain rain.

Good improvements with the GFS over last night and early this morning. If this trends any colder, dare I say PD 2 redux? Rest of the 12z suite just got mighty interesting. If they trend colder too, then I'll start getting excited.

This looks like a monstrous QPF producer and an ultra long duration event (days). Snow begins Sunday @ 7am and precip does not end until late Tuesday night. That duration is increadible (of course with lulls in between, but never completely shuts off). 

Verbatim the 6z GFS was 4-8" of snow, then sleet/ice, then eventually rain with the main low, but still would be a formidable winter storm even as currently depicted. And if it were to trend colder....look out.

ok Zel - I changed the title of this thread to March 2 - 4 ............