joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
01/02/14 to 01/03/14 Snow Storm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that Todt Hill effect is very real. It has happened numerous times that eastern and southern parts of Staten Island do better in these "cold" storms. Northern and western parts tend to avoid changeovers and have better ratios in close call storms or storms with mixing lines.

When I drove to work on the east shore of SI from the west shore I would often see the lower snow totals during marginal temp events.

8.5 at EWR, 7.9 at JFK, 7.9 at LGA... What did the snow band just jump over Central Park? Unlikely. The 7.8 by a trained spotter on the UWS is likely much closer to the truth. 

it sounds like they just went with a 10/1 water content number...something went screwy again...

You know, I recall making that same mistakes the morning after the 3/2/2009 event...thinking there *must* be 15 or 16 inches out there and gravely disappointed to find only 11 or 12...I wrote that off at the time to having not seen significant snow in so long a time...Feb 2006, I guess it was...that I had lost the ability to adequately gauge or guesstimate depth...

you forget that when you measure you have to measure at various times in storm since snow compacts along the way. More true in February 2006 (more snow) than this storm.

Guest Pamela

you forget that when you measure you have to measure at various times in storm since snow compacts along the way. More true in February 2006 (more snow) than this storm.

No, I  am well aware of the so-called "proper" way to measure snow...the "wipe the snowboard clean" every six hours to account for settling...though, according to NOAA...some new changes to the method may have been incorporated during the off season.  However, since I am not serving in an official government capacity as a cooperative observer and I do not designate myself as a trained spotter when I submit snowfall totals to NWS OKX, I do not feel overly constrained by those regulations.  My reasons for ignoring them are because I think such a method tends to yield a final snowfall total not really representative of the amount that fell.  Some may consider that a personal bias on my part and I guess it could be construed as such.  Because of my recalcitrance, I do have a tendency to report slightly lower snowfall totals than many other people in the surrounding area.  However, in exceptional events...those in which it is apparent that *serious* compacting is taking place...like when the sun angle is high or temps are near the freezing point...I will make an exception and apply a method more in line with official guidelines.  It goes without saying that I am very careful to make sure that if there ever is a change to liquid precipitation or the temp goes above freezing, I am quick to note snow depth and record it...and carefully observe for any change back to snow or accumulating sleet.     

8.5 at EWR, 7.9 at JFK, 7.9 at LGA... What did the snow band just jump over Central Park? Unlikely. The 7.8 by a trained spotter on the UWS is likely much closer to the truth.

I remember seeing Knyc reporting a few hours of heavy snow while JFK and LGA weren't , but otherwise this storm definitely hit the southern parts of the city harder then the north, so anything possible we had closer to 10 in here in Bensonhurst .

Archived