joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/5/2015 Ice/Snow Event

Coach McGuirk

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

packbacker, I hope that you will report on the EPS for us.  I'm wondering if it continues the theme of the day of colder, and more moisture further south after the front passes.

EDIT...and hopefully someone will tell us what the UKMET has on the detailed maps.

Where's superjames?????  I guess he's still all out.

Well, NWS in Raleigh is not impressed:

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...
AS OF 300 PM TUESDAY...

THURSDAY AND THURSDAY NIGHT: BY 12Z ON THURSDAY...PRECIPIATION
ASSOCIATED WITH THE APPROACHING COLD FRONT WILL HAVE WORKED INTO
NORTHERN SECTIONS OF THE CWA. AT THIS TIME ALL MODELS ARE HINTING AT
THE FORMATION OF A SMALL MESO-LOW FORMING OVER UPSTATE SOUTH
CAROLINA. THIS COULD ACT TO TEMPORARILY INCREASE PRECIPITATION OVER
CENTRAL NC DURING THE DAYTIME HOURS AS FLOW BECOMES MORE
SOUTHEASTERLY AND LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE INCREASES. THIS FEATURE WILL
QUICKLY ADVECT AWAY BY THURSDAY NIGHT. THE MAIN COLD FRONT HOWEVER
WILL LINGER OVER THE AREA WITH A SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST ORIENTATION
AS THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH REALLY LAGS BACK OVER THE CENTRAL PLAINS
ON THURSDAY AND THE REAL DRIVING FORCE PUSHING IT THROUGH WILL BE A
SURFACE HIGH BACK ACROSS THE TENNESSEE VALLEY. THE EXTREMELY WARM
TEMPERATURES FROM WEDNESDAY WILL QUICKLY COME CRASHING BACK TO
REALITY AS TEMPERATURES DROP THROUGH THE DAY IN THE NORTH AND ONLY
RISE BRIEFLY IN THE SOUTH BEFORE THE FRONT PASSES AND TEMPERATURES
EVENTUALLY DROP BACK BELOW FREEZING THURSDAY NIGHT.

THE COLD AIRMASS WILL BE CHASING THE PRECIPITATION AND AT LEAST IN
SECTION NORTH OF HIGHWAY 64 THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE FOR A WINTRY MIX
OF PRECIPITATION AT THE END OF THE EVENT THURSDAY NIGHT. PRIMARY
TIMING WOULD BE BETWEEN 00Z AND 06Z WITH SLEET THE MOST LIKELY
FROZEN PRECIPITATION TYPE. NORTHEASTERN COUNTIES MAY ALSO SEE A
BRIEF PERIOD OF FREEZING RAIN AT THE INITIAL TRANSITION AROUND 00Z
BUT THEN ALSO CHANGING OVER TO SLEET. FORECAST SOUNDINGS SUPPORT
THIS WITH A VERY WARM NOSE INITIALLY AS TEMPERATURES AT THE SURFACE
DROP BELOW FREEZING AT THE SURFACE. THIS WARM NOSE WILL ERODE RATHER
QUICKLY AND JUST BELOW THAT AN EQUALLY STRONG COLD NOSE
DEVELOPS...SUGGESTING THAT ANY REMAINING PRECIPITATION WILL REFREEZE
PRIOR TO HITTING THE SURFACE. THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT MOST SREF
MEMBERS POINTING TO THE VAST MAJORITY OF PRECIPITATION ENDING PRIOR
TO THE CHANGEOVER TO FREEZING P-TYPES. AS A RESULT NO ICE
ACCUMULATION AND VERY LITTLE SLEET ACCUMULATION IS
EXPECTED...ESPECIALLY WHEN FACTORING IN VERY WARM GROUND
TEMPERATURES FROM WEDNESDAY. MOST PRECIPITATION SHOULD WORK ITS WAY
OUT OF THE AREA AROUND OR JUST AFTER 6Z.

packbacker, I hope that you will report on the EPS for us.  I'm wondering if it continues the theme of the day of colder, and more moisture further south after the front passes.

EDIT...and hopefully someone will tell us what the UKMET has on the detailed maps.

Where's superjames?????  I guess he's still all out.

Mean matches up with the OP,  has Wake Co from 2-3" and GSO in the 2-3" range too with 4" getting down to the NC/VA border.   The control run is big  for a lot of folks...see below.  I didn't look at the 0z run so not sure what it had, but all in all supports the Op.  Will see if this can trickle 25-50 miles further south the next 48+ hours.  

Edit:  Also, keep in mind this is probably mostly ice (sleet), so .25-.3" of sleet would be a big deal.  But any shift north takes this to a non-event.

post-2311-0-46462300-1425414066_thumb.pn

Interesting that they are hugging the SREFS, but the SREFS have trended wetter and MORE FROZEN for RDU on the tail-end of that system..   a couple runs ago, it was mostly rain...

SREF's are a cop out at 48-60 hours out, useless at that range.  12z runs tomorrow the short range models will be much more telling.

RAH is probably going with their experience with these situations too. In fact, if we don't see any more trends and we get exactly what is shown by the guidance today, I'd give what they wrote about a 95% chance of verifying almost exactly (with the exception that sleet makes it south of HWY 64). Not a big event at all. That said, things can change.

I can attest to that. I always thought ice storms were out of the equation after Febuary this far south until I had no power for almost three days after March 7 of last year. Fortunately it looks like there will not be prolonged precipitation when temps are below freezing during this event..hopefully.

RAH is probably going with their experience with these situations too. In fact, if we don't see any more trends and we get exactly what is shown by the guidance today, I'd give what they wrote about a 95% chance of verifying almost exactly (with the exception that sleet makes it south of HWY 64). Not a big event at all. That said, things can change.

Yes, just have to keep watching and see what the models do the rest of today and tomorrow. Just a little more precip and/or colder temps could make a big difference.

Guessing the NAM looks like monkey butt?

I definteily don't think this will be anwhere close to the Feb 16th event, but something a tad more impacting than this past Sunday's freezing rain event is on the table.

NAM at 48+ hours...but tick tick tick...keep in mind the 6z NAM had virtually nothing frozen in NC.

post-2311-0-29679200-1425415815_thumb.pn

I definteily don't think this will be anwhere close to the Feb 16th event, but something a tad more impacting than this past Sunday's freezing rain event is on the table.

NAM at 48+ hours...but tick tick tick...keep in mind the 6z NAM had virtually nothing frozen in NC.

Sweet! I am now in the .5" range.

Sweet! I am now in the .5" range.

Snow maps are decieving I think...18z 4km NAM sounding looks like mostly rain maybe a bit of IP/ZR at the end for RDU...definitely not something exciting.

Snow maps are decieving I think...18z 4km NAM sounding looks like mostly rain maybe a bit of IP/ZR at the end for RDU...definitely not something exciting.

Yeah, that's why I think RAH is pretty spot on at this juncture. Doesn't mean it can't trend better...or worse. :)

That would be nasty ice storm as temps are plummeting...

UKie QPF output for after 12z Thursday...only a small amount of this frozen but it was big move south with the QPF...

Of coarse we get that kind of moisture output when there isn't any cold air around.  Thursday my high started out a couple of days ago being like 29 and now its up to 43.  go figure.

Archived