• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Season to Date Totals and Relation to Normal

Zelocita Weather

CONGRATS NYC; despite AWFUL DEC and MOST OF JAN,,, AND "Without" BLOCKING and -NAO and yada yada...etc...still another 40+ winter ...

Yep, over the past several years, this is how NYC defied the odds:

2010-2011: Bittercasters: "We need an El Nino to get a great winter because we have a raging La Nina"

Actual result = 61" of snow because of the -NAO and -AO bailing us out.

2013-2014: Bittercasters: "We need a -NAO to get a great winter because we have no El Nino, and a raging +NAO and -PNA.

Actual result = 57" of snow because of the -EPO and -AO bailing us out.

2014-2015: Bittercasters: "We need an -AO to get a great winter because of the raging +AO and +NAO."

Actual result so far = 42"+ of snow because of the -EPO, +PDO and +PNA bailing us out.

What will be the next salvaging index for the next winter?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

I wonder how much my town really averages...I could guess...but that would probably be all it is...an educated guess. 

Guest Pamela

57" for the season now. After looking at some data, it appears that only 5 years come close to this season (or did better) at my location for snowfall. Those are 1966-67, 1977-78, 1993-94, 1995-96, and 2004-05.

I realize it is 10 miles or so to your west; but just for general reference...

Upton's Snowiest Winters / In Inches

Suffolk County Snow Since 1947-48

Records Kept at Brookhaven National Laboratory

1/ 1995-96: 90.8"

2/ 2004-05: 78.5"

3/ 1966-67: 74.9"

4/ 2009-10: 67.8"

5/ 1947-48: 66.5"

6/ 1977-78: 62.4"

7/ 2002-03: 62.1"

8/ 2010-11: 61.5"

9/ 1957-58: 61.1"

10/ 2003-04: 60.2"

11/ 2013-14: 57.5"

12/ 1960-61: 57.5"

13/ 1993-94: 55.0"

14/ 1948-49: 54.9"

15/ 2014-15: 52.5"

16/ 2012-13: 51.8"

17/ 2000-01: 51.2"

18/ 1963-64: 47.6"

19/ 2008-09: 43.0"

20/ 1955-56: 42.9"

http://www.bnl.gov/w...hlySnowfall.htm

Guest Pamela

57" for the season now. After looking at some data, it appears that only 5 years come close to this season (or did better) at my location for snowfall. Those are 1966-67, 1977-78, 1993-94, 1995-96, and 2004-05.

Are you utilizing the date from NWS co-op known as "Riverhead Research Farm"?

Guest Pamela

I was just going off of this, although you might have something better perhaps?

attachicon.gifRiverhead_s.PNG

Yep...that's Riverhead Research Farm... its not a bad record overall...there are a few gaps here & there and some missing data here & there...but for a station over 3/4ths of a century old...its a pretty fair & valuable record...sort of like the amazing record kept by the gentleman who has been keeping records at the Bridgehampton co-op since the 1930's. 

Yep...that's Riverhead Research Farm... its not a bad record overall...there are a few gaps here & there and some missing date here & there...but for a station over 3/4 of a century old...its a pretty fair & valuable record...sort of like the amazing record kept by the gentleman who has been keeping records at the Bridgehampton co-op since the 1930's. 

Ok great, you saying that actually makes me feel much better about that chart. Thanks

Guest Pamela

Ok great, you saying that actually makes me feel much better about that chart. Thanks

Here is Riverhead Research Farm's daily climate report including snowfall:

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/COOP/cat.phtml?station=RRHN6&network=NY_COOP

If you go to the link...you will see that what I mentioned...some missing data...was a problem even during the current winter.  That is one of the reasons that it appears that they have only had a few snowier winters than the present one. 

Here is Riverhead Research Farm's daily climate report including snowfall:

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/COOP/cat.phtml?station=RRHN6&network=NY_COOP

If you go to the link...you will see that what I mentioned...some missing data...was a problem even during the current winter.  That is one of the reasons that it appears that they have only had a few snowier winters than the present one. 

Yes, I see what you mean. That's interesting. I'm going to skim through that some more when I get a little more time, I could spend hours looking through something like that  :lol:

Guest Pamela

Yes, I see what you mean. That's interesting. I'm going to skim through that some more when I get a little more time, I could spend hours looking through something like that  :lol:

There is no end to climate data...I ordered (by mail) tons of the National Climatic Data Center's publications by mail years ago...I recall how excited I would be when I found them in the mailbox (they usually came on a monthly basis)  It was by reading those datasets (along with general observations) that I first familiarized myself with the climate of this region upon moving here. 

Guest Pamela

There is no end to climate data...I ordered (by mail) tons of the National Climatic Data Center's publications by mail years ago...I recall how excited I would be when I found them in the mailbox (they usually came on a monthly basis)  It was by reading those datasets (along with general observations) that I first familiarized myself with the climate of this region upon moving here. 

David Ludlum's books were also incredible repositories of climate information and I still treasure them...he even sent me some autographed copies of his most important books after I purchased them from him.  Also, Joseph Brumbach's The Climate of Connecticut is an amazing book...Mr. Brumbach was once the state climatologist.  Lastly, Jerome Thaler's The Westchester Weather Book is an excellent source of information concerning weather and climate impacting our friends just north of the Bronx. 

Guest Pamela

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2015/03/us_snow_totals_for_winter_who_has_the_most_snow_search_any_state.html#incart_river

Only stations with nearly complete data were included.  One listing in New Jersey should look vaguely familiar ;) (checking it reveals they don't have all the March data yet).

256 inches on the Tug Hill Plateau really nothing out of the ordinary; a rather pedestrian amount to be leading the nation, IMO. The cold winter has probably hurt them more than helped; snow wise...as Lake Ontario likely had far greater ice coverage than usual; diminishing lake effect considerably. 

Guest Pamela

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2015/03/us_snow_totals_for_winter_who_has_the_most_snow_search_any_state.html#incart_river

Only stations with nearly complete data were included.  One listing in New Jersey should look vaguely familiar ;) (checking it reveals they don't have all the March data yet).

It is pretty much unheard of for a station in the east to have the most snow; that almost always comes out of the west...and almost always out of the Cascades. 

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously not official since I haven't been in Long Beach since Jan 15th when winter essentially started, but pretty sure they crossed 50" tonight for the winter. Lots of "nickel/dimes"- 5" today (probably more with snow showers since 8pm when the measurement was taken, might make it to 6" with the activity expected overnight), 6-7" with the previous storm, 6" at least with various early January clippers, about 15" from the big late January storm that some buffoons call Juno, and here and there gets to that level. 

Archived