joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early ice (mainly NW) to rain (heavy east) obs, Sunday 1/18/2015

famartin

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got up around 7:45 am and as I was getting dressed to play in our weekly soccer match, I looked outside and it looked like it might be a little icy, so I went out around 8 am to check and nearly fell on the sheet of ice that is on my driveway - and sidewalks and side streets - even the moderately traveled street we live on was icy on the shoulders, but passable in the center (it's one of those 25 mph local 2-lane streets, but does get some traffic).  Way worse than it looked from the window, lol.  Main roads and treated roads should be fine given enough traffic.  

Just went outside again and it's still pretty bad - right at 32F (reportedly up to 34F in NB), but the ground is frozen - the local street in front of my house is starting to improve a bit, presumably from traffic (and some insolation now that the sun is up).  I know it's dangerous, but it's also a little fun - took a running start and was able to slide about 30 feet on the street in front of my house (there was no traffic at that moment - I'm not that dumb, lol).  Can't imagine driving on this anywhere it's not melting yet.  

1 person dead in massive pile up on Schuylkill and 2 dead on Blue Route :(

http://6abc.com/traffic/1-dead-in-schuylkill-expressway-pileup-bridges-

closed-due-to-icy-conditions/479747/

Just awful.

Really feel bad. As of bed time last night. Expect rain. Lives were lost as result of the weather forecast.

Only can imagine the pain.

I can't believe the number of dip****s driving on 413 right now!!!!

30.7 mod ZR

Looks like a skating rink out there

I've occasionally gotten the impression that many average folks don't understand the concept of freezing rain.  I.E., rain that falls liquid then freezes after it hits the ground. 

If you pretty much fall on your arse getting to your car, you don't need a weather forecast to tell you to it's icey.

At the very minimum, there should be a report on what occurred.

Rumors circulatiing penn dot did not even have trucks out on the roads due to the forecast of rain.

Lives were lost and it should not have occurred.

Insurance companies heavily impacted.

100 car pile up on I 76 reported.

4 deaths as of now

Best

I've occasionally gotten the impression that many average folks don't understand the concept of freezing rain. I.E., rain that falls liquid then freezes after it hits the ground.

Ray, you are absolutely correct! The concept seems to be missed by sooo many people. I saw numerous cars flyig down the road like it was a typically mod rain event, while others were well under speed limit with their hazards on. This is why people die in these situations.

The Conchihacen curve has taken its toll on many occasion, it's a dangerous section of road.

The Schuylkill Expressway was poorly designed from inception.  Its amazing its still mostly 2 lanes each way still.  That road in NJ would be 3-4 lanes each way.  Ever notice most roads get narrower as they enter PA from NJ?

going to work this morning I was going 25mph the whole way. Some DOPE actually passed me in a double yellow and proceeded to fishtail and spin out. I just kept on going 25mph and gave him a wave and and a smile as I passed his car pointing the wrong direction.

309 bypass exit from Quakertown 2 winters ago some dolt around the curve decided to pass me in left lane only after riding my arse into the sharp curve. He shook hands with the bridge.

Archived