ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
October 2014

Rtd208

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is probably our only chance at a frost or freeze until November looking at the model data.

At LGA...their first freeze sometimes holds off until December...very long growing season there...probably pushing 240 days...similar to the Tidewater of Virginia, I suppose. 

At LGA...their first freeze sometimes holds off until December...very long growing season there...probably pushing 240 days...similar to the Tidewater of Virginia, I suppose. 

Yes often their first snow event is their first freeze but it looks like many places are going to fall behind on their average first frost and freeze if tonight doesn't deliver even further inland and into most of NJ away from the coast. 

Also while today is cool and breezy it's still a far cry from how chilly it could be sometimes in mid October. I remember a few years back of mid 40 highs for multiple days in mid and latter October and we already had a day similar to today this month. 

Most of the city will struggle to drop below 40 tonight I think

I mean, I haven't even looked at a weather map to see where the anticyclone is...but I see Chicago / O'Hare...which is a pretty cold station well outside the UHI...only fell to 33 F this morning...so, at first glance...does not seem to be a terribly anomalously cold air mass.

I mean, I haven't even looked at a weather map to see where the anticyclone is...but I see Chicago / O'Hare...which is a pretty cold station well outside the UHI...only fell to 33 F this morning...so, at first glance...does not seem to be a terribly anomalously cold air mass.

The core of the coldest 850mb temps are well to their NE over the Lakes/Northeast -- they had an 850mb temp around +5c this morning. Would expect colder lows overall in the Northeast given generally 0c or lower 850mb temps heading into this evening.

The core of the coldest 850mb temps are well to their NE over the Lakes/Northeast -- they had an 850mb temp around +5c this morning. Would expect colder lows overall in the Northeast given generally 0c or lower 850mb temps heading into this evening.

Yeah...I just looked at the 6z GFS simulation...in its attempt to depict reality...which, as I once said of George C Scott, made a better Patton than Patton.  Anyway...the high was centered over  the Show Me State @ 12z this morning...but the core of the cold, was, as you said, over the NE & Great Lakes.

Why does interior central nj have frost advisories and se nj is in a frz warning?

Rhetorical questions need no reply...

Archived