joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early discussion Winter 2014/15

SACRUS

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2/11/1983 storm was better & more exciting than the 1/7/1996 storm, IMO.  Snow came in like a wall that Friday afternoon with thunder & lightning & 3 to 4 inches per hour.  It was over 18 hours after it started...but between the wind, the 18 degree cold, and everything else...one of the best storms in a long time. I had it rated as the best on Long Island since the '78 storm...but I was forced to supplant it with the 2/8/13 storm which topped 30 inches in a few spots out here.  Its weird how that 12/18/09 event, which put down up to 27 inches has been almost completely forgotten...I attribute it to the fact that it happened on a weekend overnight and there had been soo many more snow events around that time then there were 25 years earlier that it did not seem so out of the ordinary. 

That was a great storm back in Brooklyn in '83 . They let us out of school around noon and then it was game on . 

I can't wait until the first snowstorm shows up at hour 384 on the gfs.

I know that because you will likely be the first person to post one for us heading into the winter season. During our first legit threat of big snowstorm they're will also be the blizzard of 96' comparison's as well like clockwork, after that someone saying R/S line is too close with the storm 180hrs+ out and so on :lol: at that point you will know winter is upon us!

I would love to see a blizzard of 96' redux just to see how this weather board would react. Just think of the insanity that would ensue with the approaching storm and  all the models agreeing on 2 to 3 feet areawide! My dream scenario though would be an 1888 type setup with the storm riding up the coast, merging with a strong clipper diving out of the great lakes, then stalling out over us. With a 965 mb low along with a 1045 mb high to the north, a general 3 to 4 feet from DC to Boston! :weenie:

I would love to see a blizzard of 96' redux just to see how this weather board would react. Just think of the insanity that would ensue with the approaching storm and  all the models agreeing on 2 to 3 feet areawide! My dream scenario though would be an 1888 type setup with the storm riding up the coast, merging with a strong clipper diving out of the great lakes, then stalling out over us. With a 965 mb low along with a 1045 mb high to the north, a general 3 to 4 feet from DC to Boston! :weenie:

I would LOVE an 1888 redux with widespread 2-3 ft snows BUT we wont be on here though. we will be enduring many server crashes due to the insane traffic that will be in here when a EURO model comes out and all the eyes glued to the computer screen. the tsunami of "OMG verbatim that's like 25-35" of snow IMBY" "blizzard warnings posted soon by NWS" "this storm is going to rival 96' 88"etc. with some actual model analysis sprinkled in there if you dig deep enough  :lol:

One storm I'm glad I don't remember is the 3/31-4/1/1997 storm. The precip over most of our area (east of I-287) was either very light or mixed when the temps became cold enough while SNE and areas west of I-287 were buried. There would've been lots of 5-postings, temporary bans and deleted rant posts if the board was around then.

2/1 was a fairly severe ice storm where I am. But it was really too bad everything turned to crap after that.

What was the most incredible occurrence last winter was suppressed storms during february and march that turned the snow off for us from that point forward. The -EPO actually hurt us in the end

One storm I'm glad I don't remember is the 3/31-4/1/1997 storm. The precip over most of our area (east of I-287) was either very light or mixed when the temps became cold enough while SNE and areas west of I-287 were buried. There would've been lots of 5-postings, temporary bans and deleted rant posts if the board was around then.

LOL-I remember that. Calls were for 1-2 feet here, but most of the heavy precip was wasted on rain throughout the day-we turned to snow, but like you said, it was light to maybe moderate and there was 3-4 inches of slop on the grass....it was really a big bust given the forecasts calling for "near blizzard conditions" that night.

What was the most incredible occurrence last winter was suppressed storms during february and march that turned the snow off for us from that point forward. The -EPO actually hurt us in the end

almost the same was the -NAO screwed especially the northern parts of the forum in 09-10...too much of a good thing is not always good.

I was looking over some analogs for the next winter that are neutral again...Last year would be an analog...1946-47 and 1948-49...Both had a blizzard and at least 30" of snowfall...If we get half as much snow as last year it will be a normal snow season...Warm waters still exist in the Gulf of Alaska...There is still a chance for an el nino or neutral positive winter...If so there are some great analogs and some not so good analogs...

• 2 weeks later...

I am hoping we can start talking about fall/winter instead of a hot period. To me the GFS looks a little better and Euro weeklies have been off before. We could use a weak Niño and aren't strong Ninos usually trouble, just like strong Ninas?

All depends on the other indexes. A strong west based niño with -AO -NAO would feature very good conditions for several KU event snowfalls just like 2009 2010. All depends on how strong of blocking and who gets blasted vs who gets verga. Generally east based niño's especially strong ones would be quite warm but even these can produce a KU event hence Feb 1983.

Archived