Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha thanks. I just looked Plymouth up on NWS and they have at least 9" forecasted and have some rain thrown in the mix too but I can't buy into that all too much. I think the column stays cool enough for all snow. Just need that precip to pass through without getting wretched apart. Wanna bet on this one? lol

By the way NAM has been looking better as of late so this signature may be in jeopardy. I don't expect the NAM to stay this course for long though. Although who the hell knows at this point it's just a model.

Haha, yeah I hear you. After sunset Plymouth is all set...but downtown Plymouth is in trouble until then. I think my 6-8" is good, but higher elevations should deff see 8-12".

Finally getting crushed up here.  Most beautiful snowfall of the year by far.

Just a true pasting.

3" at the base of the ski resort and nearing 5" at the summit.

1,550ft snow board as of 1:45pm...

post-352-0-46366800-1361993200.jpg

Woods at 1,500ft are just beautiful...

post-352-0-11956300-1361993189.jpg

post-352-0-02966200-1361993203.jpg

post-352-0-66300500-1361993204.jpg

post-352-0-74045800-1361993195.jpg

Roads above 1,000ft are pretty rugged in this wet, greasy stuff.

post-352-0-94337300-1361993205.jpg

After a slow start, I'm now satisfied, haha.

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.01” L.E.

We picked up a couple tenths of an inch of snow this morning, but that’s all there’s been so far.  I’ve been occasionally checking on the precipitation at the house via web cam, and it’s been all snow as far as I can tell, but it’s not really accumulating with the combination of temperature and snowfall intensity.  My wife called and said that the temperature as of ~3:00 P.M. was 34 F, so the snow is probably accumulating not too far off the valley floor.

I haven’t seen much change in the BTV advisories map for Vermont, but the latest accumulations map looks like it generally drops the expected totals by a couple of inches:

27FEB13A.jpg

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.4 F

Sky: Moderate Snow (3-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

.5" is the total so far...looks like this could be everyone FTL up here. I told people 6" and I figured I would only bust if we get 8-10"...wrong. We may get 1-2" :lol:

Yeah that's not what I want to hear. It's good for driving purposes tomorrow but definitely a huge bust, and probably one of my biggest personally for a given area. Even the NWS is susceptible for a big bust if they can't even get 2". Can't win them all. We all had our reasoning so there's nothing you can do when it verifies otherwise. The joys of forecasting. Keep me updated Ryan if possible so I know whether or not to drive up there with a bullet proof vest tomorrow.

Yeah that's not what I want to hear. It's good for driving purposes tomorrow but definitely a huge bust, and probably one of my biggest personally for a given area. Even the NWS is susceptible for a big bust if they can't even get 2". Can't win them all. We all had our reasoning so there's nothing you can do when it verifies otherwise. The joys of forecasting. Keep me updated Ryan if possible so I know whether or not to drive up there with a bullet proof vest tomorrow.

I already have to walk around like that. :lol:

About 1" so far. Maybe 1.5" or so on old snow but we have less then .2" liquid so no more than that.

Event totals: 0.6” Snow/0.34” L.E.

There was a very slushy 0.3” of snow on the snowboard when I checked it at 6:00 P.M. today – the snow contained 0.13” of liquid, and there was plenty of additional snow that fully melted because 0.33” of liquid was the total in the rain gauge.  Since that point though, the snow has started to accumulate much quicker since the intensity has picked up and the temperature has dropped.  There’s currently another 0.7” on the board and it’s coming down fast and furious in the form of flakes up to 1” in diameter.  It’s not stacking up overly fast because the snow is still wet, but there’s a lot of liquid equivalent falling out of the sky right now.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.13 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.3

Snow Density: 43.3% H2O

Temperature: 33.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (3-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.5 inches

Well, this is kind of disheartening...

http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/news-app/story.79

I take those models with a grain of salt.  I've spoken with a climo guy who runs a climate research group- his models say something very different- almost opposite that model.  go figure.

My experience with climo research I've been involved with- models make waaay too many assumptions- the climate is so intensely dynamic, the models just can't project things that well with even advanced modeling and processing power.

The climatology field is hot these days in academia,  and there's a bubble in funding, driving a race of sorts in regards to impact- as in getting press/published/funding.  Caveat lector.

Event totals: 2.4” Snow/0.56” L.E.

There was 1.9” of additional snow overnight at the house; it’s certainly dense snow at close to 12% H2O, but it’s substantially drier than the slush that was on the board yesterday evening.  Similar to what other NNEers have observed, our graphical forecast for the next several days looks quite nice if you are into snow and things of that sort:

28FEB13A.jpg

New Snow: 1.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.22 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.6

Snow Density: 11.6% H2O

Temperature: 32.4 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 8.0 inches

Event totals: 2.4” Snow/0.56” L.E.

There was 1.9” of additional snow overnight at the house; it’s certainly dense snow at close to 12% H2O, but it’s substantially drier than the slush that was on the board yesterday evening.  Similar to what other NNEers have observed, our graphical forecast for the next several days looks quite nice if you are into snow and things of that sort:

28FEB13A.jpg

New Snow: 1.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.22 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.6

Snow Density: 11.6% H2O

Temperature: 32.4 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 8.0 inches

Ehhh, who around here is that into snow. :lmao:

Archived