joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Autumn in NNE

tamarack

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was fringed here ... barely rained. I suspected looking at radar that Gorham and Westbrook would get into the heavy heavies and that Portland might get brushed. Oh well, the season of lame severe continues for me.

I have a cell over us here as its been raining for over 45 min with some thunder and lightning but nothing severe....yet

Looks like bobbutts can take a page from moneypitmike's handbook and get started on '12/'13 firewood.

Yeah, this is exciting for firewood potential, usually when I lose trees they are at the bottom of a little ravine which makes recovery for firewood not worth it. This thing can be chopped and stacked pretty much where it falls.

Gets me thinking how much of a beating my yard has taken in the last 5 years. Based on the condition of the forest when I moved in vs. now there were no storms matching the severity of the '08 ice or '10 wind storm for a long time before that. This is only the 2nd time something in my actual yard and not in the woods that I own has been damaged though.

I am sure he would rather have the firewood then losing his davis weather station, That won't burn so well....... :(

I have a "The Weather Channel" station someone gave to me. It's a big step down from the Davis and most of the sensors have died. I actually picked a working davis vantage pro 2 up at a yard sale this year, but sold it on ebay instead of installing it. Can't get a good read on wind here and only care to measure snow, not rain so I decided it wasn't worth it.

I have a "The Weather Channel" station someone gave to me. It's a big step down from the Davis and most of the sensors have died. I actually picked a working davis vantage pro 2 up at a yard sale this year, but sold it on ebay instead of installing it. Can't get a good read on wind here and only care to measure snow, not rain so I decided it wasn't worth it.

I have an Oregon scientific, It is ok, But the anemometer sucks on it and right now its down for like the 3rd time, Will be upgrading to a Davis at some point but can't justify the $$$ right now

Very noisy TS in AUG, though the best/worst is just finishing up. A few minutes of very hvy RA (1/4 mile vis) then 10 min and counting of ordinary +RA. Many close CG strikes, including one nearly instantaneous behind my building, probably river's edge. Two vertical strikes at 2 seconds (0.4 mile), almost the same place in the arboretum across the street, then another at 3/4 mile on the same sightline. Several others within a mile or less - overall, the most sub-mile strikes I've heard in about 5 years. Radar suggests some +RA at home, but nothing like what's gone thru here. No hail noted, though there were 55 dbz echoes.

Looks like one of those strikes was a hit on a tree in my back yard

Does anyone have a guess as to how damaged that tree is? Does it need to be removed or will it recover?

If the leaves don't wilt in the next week or so, I'd guess it will recover, given the damage visible in that (excellent) pic. However, sometimes the charge goes down along the roots and fries the root-hairs, in which case the tree is toast - no ability to draw water, thus the quick wilt. I've even seen that effect spread 50-75' from the tree that got nailed, producing a 1/4 acre patch of dead spruce and fir.

Cool, raw day... 53F out there with fog/mist/light rain.

I just got a new laptop (my last one bite the dust hard) and was wondering if anyone could post that link to the NNE temperature map (I think its Eek's map?) as well as that SNE one?

Here is NNE's, I don't have SNE's on my favorites here at work.

http://www.weirsonline.com/mesomap.htm

This is a good link as well, Just pick the region you want to view.

http://mesowest.utah...=BOX&rawsflag=3

Another solid link... thanks! This has made me think that AmericanWX forums should make a listing of all the best weather bookmarks... or ones related to the New England sub-forum. I bet we could make a darn good list of resources.

Another solid link... thanks! This has made me think that AmericanWX forums should make a listing of all the best weather bookmarks... or ones related to the New England sub-forum. I bet we could make a darn good list of resources.

Yeah, Thats a good idea, If we could get a mod to pin a topic and everyone that has links that would be useful to everyone could go there add them and book mark ones that they don't have...

Given the upcoming cold shot, this is worth posting... historical data related to the first 32F reading of the season at the BTV climo sites. It looks like the average for here at the Morrisville-Stowe ASOS is September 27th. If MVL hits 32F or lower here in the next couple of days (which is forecast), this will be quite early for the 30-year data. Earliest 32F in last 30 years is September 11th, 1995... we obviously missed that date but we'll be between the 10th and 25th percentile which is noteworthy. Its interesting that the MVL and MPV data are almost identical, but somehow MPV's average first 32F is 3 days after MVL. The other percentiles are just about the same.

cwa_fa.png

So nice to see these cold temps showing up on the point 'n clicks.... I was pretty sure they'd modify as we got closer (compared to earlier forecasts this week) but nope, it looks like we may be scraping the windshield off on a couple mornings.

Mansfield 3,000ft grid point on top, 800ft Stowe village grid-point on the bottom. I'm loving the lows in the low 20s on Saturday Night on the mountain, haha. Tomorrow will be the first high temp in the 30s on the upper mountain this season. Does MWN crack freezing tomorrow?

Okay what was the story with July 2 1992???????? 32 at W. Burke and Lake Placid???? Is that right, if so what's the story behind that?

Given the upcoming cold shot, this is worth posting... historical data related to the first 32F reading of the season at the BTV climo sites. It looks like the average for here at the Morrisville-Stowe ASOS is September 27th. If MVL hits 32F or lower here in the next couple of days (which is forecast), this will be quite early for the 30-year data. Earliest 32F in last 30 years is September 11th, 1995... we obviously missed that date but we'll be between the 10th and 25th percentile which is noteworthy. Its interesting that the MVL and MPV data are almost identical, but somehow MPV's average first 32F is 3 days after MVL. The other percentiles are just about the same.

cwa_fa.png

Okay what was the story with July 2 1992???????? 32 at W. Burke and Lake Placid???? Is that right, if so what's the story behind that?

I was thinking that too, haha. I wonder if they got below 32F or just hit it... that must've been some cold, cold H85 air overhead for early July. Especially given that the amount of time at night for radiational cooling is severely limited thanks to the very long daylight hours that time of year.

Chilly morning. On 7/31/1978 my Ft. Kent pumpkins got singed and my neighbor's green beans toasted by a 32 morning. More surprising to me is Farmington's 32 on 7/8/1969, and 29 on 8/30/82.

Mansfield down to 37F at 4pm... wind NW 18G30. Maybe some upslope flurries up there tonight?

Certainly going to be some rime across the peaks tonight if BTV is right on orographic clouds hanging on throughout the night. Incredibly impressive if those areas in the Adirondacks see lows of 29-32F with clouds and stiff NW wind continuing. That's a freeze warning for CAA and not radiational cooling!

SKIES WILL PARTIALLY CLEAR THIS EVENING...BUT MODELS INDICATE DEVELOPMENT OF UPSLOPE CLOUDINESS ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF THE NRN ADIRONDACKS AND CENTRAL/ERN VERMONT DURING THE PRE-DAWN HOURS. AIR MASS ADVECTING IN IS UNSEASONABLY COOL AND VERY DRY. AT 19Z...WAS ALREADY DOWN TO 34F ON WHITEFACE MTN. GENERALLY LOOKING FOR STRONG LOW-LEVEL CAA TO CONTINUE OVERNIGHT. THE ADVECTION WILL BE STRONG ENOUGH THAT A FEW SPOTS IN THE ADIRONDACKS WILL SEE MORNING LOWS 29-32F GIVEN ELEVATION OF THAT REGION. THAT SAID...FROST FORMATION WILL BE LIMITED BY WIND AND POTENTIAL OROGRAPHIC CLOUDS. GIVEN TEMPS...HAVE ISSUED A FREEZE WARNING FOR PORTIONS OF THE NRN ADIRONDACKS...BUT SOMEWHAT MARGINAL CONDITIONS OVERALL -- AND BETTER THREAT OF ACTUAL FROST FORMATION OCCURS SATURDAY MORNING. SHOULD SEE A FEW LOWS IN THE MID 30S FOR THE NORTHEAST KINGDOM OF VERMONT...AND AROUND 41F AT BTV.

Mansfield down to 37F at 4pm... wind NW 18G30. Maybe some upslope flurries up there tonight?

Certainly going to be some rime across the peaks tonight if BTV is right on orographic clouds hanging on throughout the night. Incredibly impressive if those areas in the Adirondacks see lows of 29-32F with clouds and stiff NW wind continuing. That's a freeze warning for CAA and not radiational cooling!

SKIES WILL PARTIALLY CLEAR THIS EVENING...BUT MODELS INDICATE DEVELOPMENT OF UPSLOPE CLOUDINESS ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF THE NRN ADIRONDACKS AND CENTRAL/ERN VERMONT DURING THE PRE-DAWN HOURS. AIR MASS ADVECTING IN IS UNSEASONABLY COOL AND VERY DRY. AT 19Z...WAS ALREADY DOWN TO 34F ON WHITEFACE MTN. GENERALLY LOOKING FOR STRONG LOW-LEVEL CAA TO CONTINUE OVERNIGHT. THE ADVECTION WILL BE STRONG ENOUGH THAT A FEW SPOTS IN THE ADIRONDACKS WILL SEE MORNING LOWS 29-32F GIVEN ELEVATION OF THAT REGION. THAT SAID...FROST FORMATION WILL BE LIMITED BY WIND AND POTENTIAL OROGRAPHIC CLOUDS. GIVEN TEMPS...HAVE ISSUED A FREEZE WARNING FOR PORTIONS OF THE NRN ADIRONDACKS...BUT SOMEWHAT MARGINAL CONDITIONS OVERALL -- AND BETTER THREAT OF ACTUAL FROST FORMATION OCCURS SATURDAY MORNING. SHOULD SEE A FEW LOWS IN THE MID 30S FOR THE NORTHEAST KINGDOM OF VERMONT...AND AROUND 41F AT BTV.

I wish the temp at WF was public, doesn't make sense that its not. The mountain is owned by New York State.....unless the weather station is privately owned?

I was thinking that too, haha. I wonder if they got below 32F or just hit it... that must've been some cold, cold H85 air overhead for early July. Especially given that the amount of time at night for radiational cooling is severely limited thanks to the very long daylight hours that time of year.

I remember late July 2001 being really cold in NNE with some freezes.

7/27/2001

HIE 32F

SLK 32F

BML 35F

7/28/2001

HIE 31F

SLK 32F

BML 35F

Pinatubo's eruption had some serious effects on the atmosphere. 1992 was a very cold summer in the US:

post-475-0-89382900-1316122257.png

I wish the temp at WF was public, doesn't make sense that its not. The mountain is owned by New York State.....unless the weather station is privately owned?

Yeah they really need to make that public. It always shows up on the NWS lists of max/min temps as well as during certain events, so they obviously have real-time access to it. I'm really surprised its not listed on any of the meso-networks.

It is cold and raw out there... now 47.5F here with NW winds. Broken low clouds, thick stratus mid-level deck. Looks like an autumn sky. The 2,000 foot elevation stations at Bolton and Starksboro, VT have fallen into the lower 40s now. Brrrr. Hard to imagine just a few days ago we were excited about radiational cooling down to 39-40F. Tonight we are going to hit that level with CAA still occurring.

I remember late July 2001 being really cold in NNE with some freezes.

7/27/2001

HIE 32F

SLK 32F

BML 35F

7/28/2001

HIE 31F

SLK 32F

BML 35F

Yeah that's mighty cold. I remember that vaguely as I think my family took a vacation to the Whites during that. I remember MWN below freezing during the day or something like that when we went up on the auto road.

But 32F or lower on July 2nd... that's freezing temperatures a week away from the summer solstice. The sun's only down for like 7 hours that time of year.

Yeah that's mighty cold. I remember that vaguely as I think my family took a vacation to the Whites during that. I remember MWN below freezing during the day or something like that when we went up on the auto road.

But 32F or lower on July 2nd... that's freezing temperatures a week away from the summer solstice. The sun's only down for like 7 hours that time of year.

Yeah, but most sites peak with their warmth about 3 weeks into July. I had a high of 56F on 6/24 this year in one of those dreary drizzlefests. CON has mid 30s for record lows all around the summer solstice whereas the 30s records are fewer and far between in July.

Yeah, but most sites peak with their warmth about 3 weeks into July. I had a high of 56F on 6/24 this year in one of those dreary drizzlefests. CON has mid 30s for record lows all around the summer solstice whereas the 30s records are fewer and far between in July.

Ahh good call, dude. I totally forgot about that lag time. I was too focused on daylight hours, haha. End of July is more impressive when you look at it relative to normals.

Whoa, I’m riding the bus on I-89 through the Richmond/Jonesville area right now and some of the mountainsides to the north of the Winooski Valley are exploding with fall colors – it seemed like that happened literally overnight. Traveling a bit farther east I can see that the extent of change in that area was somewhat localized, but it was really stunning with some late day rays of sun catching it. It wasn’t quite peak, but I have to imagine if there’s one area that has progressed that far there are more around the state. I hadn’t seen too much color change up to this point, but it looks like things are really going to start moving in the foliage department now.

Archived