• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January 26-27 Storm Threat

Baroclinic Zone

Maybe I should be liking these 0Z runs. The last Noreaster at this stage I think most models were out to sea and trended west the last few days. A trend west this time could finally get a good event out here. I'm afraid the central and western NY people are finished though....after a few days of thinking this was their storm.

I like the fact that the ensembles of every model have been clustered near the BM seemingly since PD I, though.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I should be liking these 0Z runs. The last Noreaster at this stage I think most models were out to sea and trended west the last few days. A trend west this time could finally get a good event out here. I'm afraid the central and western NY people are finished though....after a few days of thinking this was their storm.

Rick...you get about an inch qpf on this Euro run.

I mentioned it before, but don't forget that this arctic episode is going to knock the marine layer on it's azz well out into the atl, so that is going buy the immediate coastline a bit more time than they normally would expect.

This is a good point actually. The modification rate might not compensate this type of air mass as would be otherwise typical.

Obviously, but why doesn't the GFS is the question....

The GFS has trouble doing this as we've seen time and again. The final run or 2 before the event it ends up better but it appears to be one of the issues. Use it for general guidance but the Euro and the other mesos can be used for finer details is what I've learned this year.

The GFS has trouble doing this as we've seen time and again. The final run or 2 before the event it ends up better but it appears to be one of the issues. Use it for general guidance but the Euro and the other mesos can be used for finer details is what I've learned this year.

Yea, I didn't saying I'm buying it, but it gives me a little pause....

Because the euro has less confluence to the north. The 500 height lines are allowed to make that classic "s" shape. This allows for moisture to wrap way back to the west. The Euro is more like 50-60 miles nw,

I thought by the time it crossed near the BM, the difference was closer to 20 but my eyes could be wrong....

This is a good point actually. The modification rate might not compensate this type of air mass as would be otherwise typical.

If you remember the NJersey bomb, HPC kept mentioning the destabilization of the Gstream air due to Arctic air flowing over it for days making it a breeding ground for copious moisture to be advected, guess what.

Doesn't hurt that we have inlets freezing, either.

OT ... But if anyone gets a chance, arctic sea smoke is an awesome spectacle. Tomorrow and particularly Monday morning will probably be fantastic!!

I recall once living in Rockport as many as 20 steam dogs at once dancing across the sea sfc during a 0F morning, cut through by corpuscular rays.

Archived