SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The January 25/26 Storm (Part 2)

Wow

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, it's so far away, I'm just going to withhold judgment. it's nice to see the consolidated system and models agree on that. But mostly what I'm seeing is it's just too warm for NC (save mountains/n foothills); mostly a rainstorm for MBY. I keep hearing March 93, well that seems to be about right because the piedmont didn't get much snow from that I don't think, that was a mountains storm for NC. Anyway I'm going to keep listening and tracking but right now I haven't seen anything to really get me excited yet. We need a colder trend, keep the track on the coast, maybe a little off the coast.

This has a lot of potential- but unless I were in far western North Carolina, far north GA and eastern TN this is anything but a slam dunk. Check out the 12Z GFS ensembles, still a lot of solutions:

post-357-0-59819300-1295631432.gif

For the ATL metro, I think the chance of a huge snow storm is pretty small, but if the second wave really digs strongly and the 500mb vort max comes right overhead than we cold get a few inches. For now I am taking a cautious approach.

I don't know, it's so far away, I'm just going to withhold judgment. it's nice to see the consolidated system and models agree on that. But mostly what I'm seeing is it's just too warm for NC (save mountains/n foothills); mostly a rainstorm for MBY. I keep hearing March 93, well that seems to be about right because the piedmont didn't get much snow from that I don't think, that was a mountains storm for NC. Anyway I'm going to keep listening and tracking but right now I haven't seen anything to really get me excited yet. We need a colder trend, keep the track on the coast, maybe a little off the coast.

I underlined part of your quote that is spot on advise for everyone. Also It's January and not March. I want a coastl hugger 1st because naturally I want all snow, but secondly because I know it's highly likely there wont be rain, but instead freezing rain. The CAD up here in NC will be locked and loaded. That 93 storm as is common with alot of storms mid FEB on are usually snow/rain for various climo reasons. This is a whole different animal surface temp wise.

It's pretty crazy to see so much cliff diving already after 1 model run of the GFS and we are still 4+ days away. People need to calm down.

yes it is - the last few years the general pattern/set up has repeated. it appears that way this year as well. the last few storms were on the models, off, on, off and then just before the event the precip really increases and temps decrease. anyone expecting the bullseye this far out might as well throw darts. anyone expecting a historic snow, you will probably not be overjoyed.

for se peeps who want a winter storm, just hang in there while the models sort things out. until/unless a majority start trending away from se winter precip big time i am not worried at this point. if we are a day out, and none of the models really show any qpf we might just end up with a light event. but hey, anything at this point is a bonus (and hopefully we will have several more bonuses before the end of winter)

GGEM is throwing the upper low down into Oklahoma. Strong CAD, but warm air pouring in aloft

as long as we can hold in the cad i could handle it. we havent really had a cad winter storm in a while so it would be fun to track (at least until the power goes out lol)

This has a lot of potential- but unless I were in far western North Carolina, far north GA and eastern TN this is anything but a slam dunk. Check out the 12Z GFS ensembles, still a lot of solutions:

For the ATL metro, I think the chance of a huge snow storm is pretty small, but if the second wave really digs strongly and the 500mb vort max comes right overhead than we cold get a few inches. For now I am taking a cautious approach.

granted a couple of inches/several inches of snow isnt a huge storm, but for n ga thats still a pretty darn decent snowfall. esp with all the snow we have had so far. from what i gather, the last storm was the biggest since the 93 one in this county, so thats almost 20 years. i would probably have a heart attack to get 2 twenty-year storms within a few weeks of each other

at 120, a closed low at 5H right over CLT, th surface low is 996 over RDU, and all of western half of Carolinas is in snow, and northern half of GA and eastern TN western VA. By 126, all of VA is slammed west of the low over the Delmarva. Still snowing in most of NC with wraparound. The APPs are going to get snowed in big time with this track and its good snows for the Upstate and GA and the wraparound with the quickly intensityfing low. What a Windy blizzard type of day thats going to be if it plays out.

This is going to be a drought buster, hopefully. I'm much more optimistic about severe weather than severe winter weather outside of the mountains/foothills.

On another note, the GFS maintains the cold and PNA and brings back a -NAO. As long as that's in place, there will be more chances.

Archived