Newest Member
    Toothache
January 19-21 MW/GL/OV Storm Observation Thread

Guru Of Reason

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dilly84-

NAM had us between 8-10 and GFS had us right at 10. The models for about 24 hours leading up to the start of the storm really had the right idea all along. Not something you see happen all the time. ;) Also, temps were around 11 when the snow was falling, so we had ratios around 15-1

So in reality it is underperforming per what models showed for you.

LOL I KNEW i Should have bought that webcam before i moved to Charleston last weekend...

Need to update your location in your profile so people don't get confused. :P Good luck with the system.

Most of what falls here will be from the northern energy/lake enhanced stuff. GRR going with 2 here which seems reasonable. Could be more or less as you never know with this stuff off the lake here. Areas by the lake shore have a advisory for 3-6 which seems fine except i disagree with the heaviest being in the NW part of the area as the flow looks to only go very briefly wsw/sw ( if that )and that is thanks to the southern system which should hold the flow more westerly till the front arrives and sends it wnw.

Need to update your location in your profile so people don't get confused. :P Good luck with the system.

Most of what falls here will be from the northern energy/lake enhanced stuff. GRR going with 2 here which seems reasonable. Could be more or less as you never know with this stuff off the lake here. Areas by the lake shore have a advisory for 3-6 which seems fine except i disagree with the heaviest being in the NW part of the area as the flow looks to only go very briefly wsw/sw ( if that )and that is thanks to the southern system which should hold the flow more westerly till the front arrives and sends it wnw.

Both 6z NAM and GFS now bring the 0.10" line into extreme SE MI. Wonder if we will get in a little on both the storm AND cold front.

And congrats on STL for FINALLY getting a 6"+ snowstorm!

Both 6z NAM and GFS now bring the 0.10" line into extreme SE MI. Wonder if we will get in a little on both the storm AND cold front.

I think that most of what falls up this way is a result of the northern energy which may get some help from the lake.

Basically boils down to where the bands set up etc before the flow goes wnw and the artic air arrives. This is a flake killing artic airmass and thus why i am not so hyped with the lake stuff despite the wnw flow down this way and northerly flow top side of the lake.

Probably one of those sporadic 1-3 inch type deals away from the lake to Detroit.

This storm has definitely overperformed. I haven't went outside yet as it is still early, but STL is reporting about 9 inches of snow, with 2 more inches expected.

:snowman::snowman::snowman:

METAR KSTL 200951Z 36006KT 3/4SM R30R/4500V6000FT -SN BR OVC005 M06/M08 A3018 RMK AO2 SLP234 SNINCR 1/9 P0005 T10611078 $

Holy crap, I was just checking some LSR's from the LSX CWA...simply outstanding. :thumbsup:

0643 AM HEAVY SNOW WOOD RIVER 38.86N 90.08W

01/20/2011 M9.2 INCH MADISON IL TRAINED SPOTTER

0625 AM HEAVY SNOW 3 E COLUMBIA 38.95N 92.27W

01/20/2011 M9.0 INCH BOONE MO CO-OP OBSERVER

0615 AM HEAVY SNOW ST. CHARLES 38.79N 90.52W

01/20/2011 M8.5 INCH ST. CHARLES MO TRAINED SPOTTER

0619 AM HEAVY SNOW COLLINSVILLE 38.68N 90.00W

01/20/2011 M12.0 INCH MADISON IL TRAINED SPOTTER

0615 AM SNOW ST. PETERS 38.78N 90.61W

01/20/2011 M8.5 INCH ST. CHARLES MO NWS EMPLOYEE

I am so happy. Now, I have to drive to work in it. But I'm one of those few people that actually like driving in the snow.

hr06 looks juicier all the way to you and hoosier as well. Also looks like returns brightnening in IN on radar

IND looks to be getting some good stuff soon.

As for us, the central IL radar looks to have diminishing returns to our west. We'll be fortunate to get an inch, 1.5". It's cool though, not our storm. Good luck to you guys out east.

Archived