joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weather and TV

famartin

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha I forgot I even "started" this thread. Yeah I guess I'll put Bolaris on next, then 6abc at 5:50. I get pounded by questions, so I need to know what the public is being fed so I know how to react.

6abc has the heaviest amounts -- about 6-10" -- centered on the I-95 corridor... from about DE to NYC. Then lesser amounts on each side of that.

Lee Goldberg on channel 7 is calling for 3-6" for NYC metro, most of central and northern New Jersey and Long Island with 6-9" for most of Connecticut. I think he is way too low with those amounts considering the latest 12z and 18z model runs. Moreover, he is predicting a rainstorm next week with temperatures near 50* F.

Glenn is top notch.. And one of the few mets to actually say he got a forecast wrong, and admit to it. Only one worth watching at WPVI is Adam Joseph, he will strays lots of times from the spoon feeding of Accu Weather, and go out on his own. On the other hand, David Murphy was on WPVI Sunday, pretty much guaranteeing a rainstorm for the area. He is the worst, and his on air persona is that of a funeral director.

Glenn is top notch.. And one of the few mets to actually say he got a forecast wrong, and admit to it. Only one worth watching at WPVI is Adam Joseph, he will strays lots of times from the spoon feeding of Accu Weather, and go out on his own. On the other hand, David Murphy was on WPVI Sunday, pretty much guaranteeing a rainstorm for the area. He is the worst, and his on air persona is that of a funeral director.

I'll put your funeral director (David Murphy) up against my bowl of oatmeal (Bill Henley) any day!

Glenn is the only tv forecaster I can trust, let alone watch. Even if you don't agree with him, you can't dispute his knowledge and experience, and can't claim he is just hugging models. The fact that he not only reads this site but posts here as well is telling.

He's a really nice guy, too. I ran into him at the Costco in King of Prussia last spring during a Tornado Watch, and we were both looking at radar on our phones and thinking that it was about time to cancel the watch. He also helped me out via email many years ago when I was considering a meteorology degree (I'm now an accountant and I'm working on becoming an actuary). He definitely knows the calculus & physics behind meteorology, which is more than one can say about many on-camera weather folks.

One of my "old" favorites from the late 1960's to middle 1970's was the famous Gordon Barnes on WCBSAM and also wcbs tv2 for a bit..Anyone remember Gordon?

Remember he used a flashlight for his map pointer?

<br /><br /><br />

Bill Korbell

When I was in college I interned with him for a while. Great guy, very classy and taught me a lot about adlibing and presentation

Wow, I remember him, he was the night guy on News 12 LI before Bill Korbel came in 1997 from over at News 12 CT....I never understood why Tirado left so suddenly. News 12 LI was a bit unstable for awhile before Rich Hoffman and Korbel settled into those slots...they had Bonnie Schneider for awhile and a few other ones including Bruce Avery and Rich Von Ohlen...and Joe Rao too, that guy had a seriously mean hairdo.

A few others which were on in NY for quite some time are Ira Joe Fisher who was at NBC and CBS, Linda Church who seems to have been everywhere, and Joe Witte who always made me laugh for some reason though he seemed to stumble over every other word.

Blasts from the past all good guys..

Always liked Joe Cioffi myself :thumbsup:

Norm Divoskin not so much :P

Went to school with JC..funny guy...dry wit...

David Murphy has 6-12" total for the I-95 corridor. So he's basically saying less than 6" tonight?

If he's including Round 1, then it sounds like he's calling for 3" to 6" of snow for Round 2. We'll see...I think most locations in the Philly area will see at least another 5 or 6 inches with Round 2 (and maybe up to 9 or 10 inches).

Here are the ones that are "my favs"

Tom Skilling (seriously, he's the best TV met in the country, hands down. Anyone who has WGN America on cable and can watch Skilling's forecasts at 10 PM should...it's an absolute treat for wx weenies)

Paul Douglas (Minneapolis met, very forward thinking on technology and wx, brought "EarthWatch" to the world)

Tom Clark in Scranton

Hurricane

Elliot Abrams

Dr. Joe Sobel

Joe Lundberg (wish Joe was back on KYW locally)

a lot of people on here could out-forecast tom clark with their eyes closed. not a bad guy in person, but he should have retired several years ago. and his daughter does look a lot like noreen (but forecasts much better).

as for elliot and joe, they are brilliant people, especially elliot.

joe lundberg, i think i bowled with him a few times as well as met him. very personable and knowledgeable.

as for paul douglas, yea he's one of the big dogs out here in the 651-612. but how many remember him when he actually got his start at WNEP? i do, barely.

a lot of people on here could out-forecast tom clark with their eyes closed. not a bad guy in person, but he should have retired several years ago. and his daughter does look a lot like noreen (but forecasts much better).

as for elliot and joe, they are brilliant people, especially elliot.

joe lundberg, i think i bowled with him a few times as well as met him. very personable and knowledgeable.

as for paul douglas, yea he's one of the big dogs out here in the 651-612. but how many remember him when he actually got his start at WNEP? i do, barely.

Tom Clark's daughter works for Paul w/ WeatherNation. Clark is conservative (and has had his share of busts like anyone) but he's still good at what he does and is pretty well respected up there.

I've been away (and thankfully missed digging out) the last week so I didn't hear/see any of the forecasts but I didn't get to miss the sparring (towards Bolaris) and self-congratulating from Adam Joseph on his facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Adam-Joseph/118344943695

post-105-0-91720100-1296234386.gif

post-105-0-27824000-1296234380.gif

Hurricane's willingness to admit he was wrong with Wednesday AM was impressive, classy, and a breath of fresh air in this town.

I've been away (and thankfully missed digging out) the last week so I didn't hear/see any of the forecasts but I didn't get to miss the sparring (towards Bolaris) and self-congratulating from Adam Joseph on his facebook page.

http://www.facebook....ph/118344943695

post-105-0-91720100-1296234386.gif

post-105-0-27824000-1296234380.gif

Hurricane's willingness to admit he was wrong with Wednesday AM was impressive, classy, and a breath of fresh air in this town.

Wow, that is pathetic.

Just like Jim Cantore said last night that TWC called for the dump of snow that D.C. got. I think they had 1-3" for them forecasted.

Archived