Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Weather and TV

famartin

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I understand there has long been a connection between ABC7 and accuweather, it seems quite often that ABC7 offers their individual thoughts when it comes to storms. Their forecasts differ often.

It's good to see them do that, I don't think WPVI here in Philly does that as often, they tend to rely on AccuWeather much more.

Channel 7 has the class acts of Bill Evans and Lee Goldberg... Lee particularly is highly intelligent and knows his stuff. (I never worked with Bill so can't verify same for him).

Their weekend guy Jeff Smith is awesome too. Will knows him. All three are big snow weenies and dont mind showing it on the air either, while the news anchors roll their eyes haha. Ch 5. Nick Gregory is great also and him and Craig Allen are an outstanding 1-1 punch. But when someone other than NG or CA is on the air, I dont watch them.

Bill Evans is my favorite (even though I like all of the above) if only because he visibly GLOATS when he talks about snowstorms. The news anchors HATE that, but he has a lot of leeway there. Ch 5 and 7 have mets of such reputation that you get the feeling theyre allowed to say whatever they want, to hell with the news directors who dont know **** about the weather.

Their weekend guy Jeff Smith is awesome too. Will knows him. All three are big snow weenies and dont mind showing it on the air either, while the news anchors roll their eyes haha. Ch 5. Nick Gregory is great also and him and Craig Allen are an outstanding 1-2 punch. But when someone other than NG or CA is on the air, I dont watch them.

Bill Evans is my favorite (even though I like all of the above) if only because he visibly GLOATS when he talks about snowstorms. The news anchors HATE that, but he has a lot of leeway there. Ch 5 and 7 have mets of such reputation that you get the feeling theyre allowed to say whatever they want, to hell with the news directors who dont know **** about the weather.

One quick question....

Is Joe Cioffi still on Channel 11? I liked him growing up on News 12.

(sorry to go off topic here)

One quick question....

Unfortunately no :( I used to listen to him religiously on the radio back in the 90s, as he was the one who most concisely outlined all the possibilities and often times was the first to sniff out pattern changes and storm threats even a week in advance. I used to watch him on the weekends on Ch. 11 also.

One quick question....

No, I think he basically does occasional fill in work now on NBC or at least did...I'm not sure he ever should have left Channel 12....I thought he was getting payed more to be on WPIX just 2 days a week than he was on Channel 12 all 5 but I was told by a reliable source he was not and that his original intention was to work a 7 day week but one of the two channels told him no no.

No, I think he basically does occasional fill in work now on NBC or at least did...I'm not sure he ever should have left Channel 12....I thought he was getting payed more to be on WPIX just 2 days a week than he was on Channel 12 all 5 but I was told by a reliable source he was not and that his original intention was to work a 7 day week but one of the two channels told him no no.

Bummer. :thumbsdown:

Joe was working for NWS the Sunday( 8 hours before the start of the great 1978 storm). In fact it was he who did the 4P.M update on NOAA radio, that Sunday.....A very good met.

And the fact is, especially with a snow sensitive public right now, it's much better to "ease" into higher amounts, should you need to. In short, it's much better to start low and work upwards if the need occurs, rather than call for 6"+ (or whatever) and have to back off.

I dont get the anguish over forecasted amounts-- it's not like anyone controls how much falls.

The real anguish was going to bed during the 70's and 80's to a forecast for snow the next day

and waking up to partly sunny skies or just plain rain.If this board was around back then

people would really be pulling their hair out.:arrowhead:

My all time favoritesAlan kasperGlenn "Hurricane" SchwartzNick gregoryLee GoldbergJoe CioffiCraig AllenNorm MacdonaldBill Gutsch when he did channel 7.He is an astronomer as well.Mr G irv Gifcofsky "Will there be some snow or SOME SNOW?"Llyod lindsday young

Channel 7 has the class acts of Bill Evans and Lee Goldberg... Lee particularly is highly intelligent and knows his stuff. (I never worked with Bill so can't verify same for him).

I've spoken with Bill a couple of times... gem of a man. His accent is really more pronounced when you hear it in person.

Their weekend guy Jeff Smith is awesome too. Will knows him. All three are big snow weenies and dont mind showing it on the air either, while the news anchors roll their eyes haha. Ch 5. Nick Gregory is great also and him and Craig Allen are an outstanding 1-1 punch. But when someone other than NG or CA is on the air, I dont watch them.

Makes you wonder why Heidi Jones was ever there. Her energy never meshed with the other 3 and she wasn't even a real Met.

Archived