• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Weather and TV

famartin

Another great Meteorologist from the old WSNL channel 67 in Smithtown or Riverhead I believe was Pat Pagano from the mid 1970's, anyone remember him?

He was on 98.3 recently so he is still somewhere in the area...not a meteorologist but like people such as Mr. G, Frank Field, Al Roker was around long before the days of being able to just read the computer models and copy NWS forecasts so they actually understand what is going on....the TV and radio non-Mets who came about post 1990-1995 just are not the same.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He runs Metro Weather, I believe; he made his reputation by being the only met to correctly forecast the 18" snow of 1/21/1978...everyone else was predicting an inch or two and then rain.

When did he issue that forecast? I was working at WCBS at the time, when I left that Friday night, Alan Kasper told me the cut off low was placed much further south and would be putting out a forecast that FRIDAY of possible 4 or more inches. He said that Boston would get buried.

Remember Bob Harris-I think he started with WOR and worked many radio and TV gigs. He was decent and easy to listen to. A native of Oakland New Jersey.

He was great-- I remember him on WPIX for many years. He was the one who called the Oct 1991 storm a "neutercane."

If you haven't seen Joe Snedeker WNEP, you are missing something strange. he truly loves the weather but puts is in such a way that the average person understands. He is not politically correct and has got himself into trouble more than a few times. People watch him because they never know what is coming and he is entertaining.

Tom CLark and his wife Noreen also at wnep are relly good with the local forcast but Tom is a little dry.

WB-Weather I think works at WBRE. the WBRE crew probally has the hardest working group, but they are the number two station in a market and a lot of people don't watch becuase of the total dominace by wnep.

Roberto Tiribo.....

Wow, I remember him, he was the night guy on News 12 LI before Bill Korbel came in 1997 from over at News 12 CT....I never understood why Tirado left so suddenly. News 12 LI was a bit unstable for awhile before Rich Hoffman and Korbel settled into those slots...they had Bonnie Schneider for awhile and a few other ones including Bruce Avery and Rich Von Ohlen...and Joe Rao too, that guy had a seriously mean hairdo.

A few others which were on in NY for quite some time are Ira Joe Fisher who was at NBC and CBS, Linda Church who seems to have been everywhere, and Joe Witte who always made me laugh for some reason though he seemed to stumble over every other word.

Pat was another blast from the Long Island past. Wonder where he is now? Passionate met.

As mentioned before, he runs Metro Weather in Valley Stream. Hear his forecasts on WALK 97.5 most frequently although they supply a few other radio stations in other markets with forecasts. A few friends of mine from SBU have ended up there.

Wow, I remember him, he was the night guy on News 12 LI before Bill Korbel came in 1997 from over at News 12 CT....I never understood why Tirado left so suddenly. News 12 LI was a bit unstable for awhile before Rich Hoffman and Korbel settled into those slots...they had Bonnie Schneider for awhile and a few other ones including Bruce Avery and Rich Von Ohlen...and Joe Rao too, that guy had a seriously mean hairdo.

A few others which were on in NY for quite some time are Ira Joe Fisher who was at NBC and CBS, Linda Church who seems to have been everywhere, and Joe Witte who always made me laugh for some reason though he seemed to stumble over every other word.

Ugh, Tirado and Norm Divaskin (sp?) on news 12...just horrible. Joe Rao's hair could withstand a cat. 3 hurricane.

Ira Joe seemed like a nice guy, Linda Church was poppin out babies, Witte with that silly grin on his face.

Whatever happened to John Bothe from 880? He had a great New York sound to him.

Boston's Harvey Leonard may have done some radio in New York in the early 70s before heading to Providence in 1974 and Boston in 1977 and I believe he is the best local tv forecaster in the history of the medium. He can get more words out in a 3 segment than anyone on the planet. Todd Gross, who did 21 years in Boston before foolishly being let go was excellent as well....Bill Keneely is great and I can't believe he's not working at the moment.

Boston's tv Mets have always been far better than New York's but when I was living in New York in the mid 1990s I thought Nick Gregory was the best even though his presentation is not the greatest...and how can you not like Bill Evan's voice. Lee Goldberg I believe interned under Harvey Leonard....Bob Harris was one of the most likable guys on tv and for over a decade PIX had a great one two punch in weather and sports with Bob and Jerry Girard who PIX never should have demoted when they hired Sal Marciano.

Ugh, Tirado and Norm Divaskin (sp?) on news 12...just horrible. Joe Rao's hair could withstand a cat. 3 hurricane.

Ira Joe seemed like a nice guy, Linda Church was poppin out babies, Witte with that silly grin on his face.

Dvoskin has been there since they started, he used to be the regular weekend guy but he seems to be on less often now.

Great recollection by everybody! The only Met. I can think of that was missed is Hank Berg who worked the daytime shift after Craig Allen in the 1980's on WCBS radio. I think Dave Bowers from Accu-Weather should be mentioned also, since he has worked the drive time slot at 1010WINS for nearly 2 decades.

As for "Dr Bob Harris" it should be mentioned that he lied about his credentials to get his foot in the door at WCBS. He did not hold a doctorate in Geophysics as he stated on his resume, but regardless he was a good listen. His famous catch phrase was "chance of significant snow" when something promising was on the horizon. I see Dr. Frank Field was mentioned. I believe he is still alive. I think he retired to Fla. after living many years in Massapequa here on L.I. His doctorate was in Optometry, but he had a BA in Geology. He learned his weather in the Air Force during WWII. and of course conferred with the NWS for his forecasts since both the NY office and NBC were located at Rockefeller Center during most of his years on TV. His medical reports were more interesting to watch than his forecasts and it might have been he, who introduced the Heimlich Maneuver for the first time on TV in this area. His son Storm of course worked rival ABC for many years and I will never forget his 6PM report during the Feb. Blizzard of 1978. We were in the midst of being dry slotted when he went on air and said the storm was over. Needless to say another foot fell overnight Monday into Tues morn. on the backside.

Anyone remember the show Us Farm Report? Not sure that's the correct title. Anyhow, I think it was Finkels Forecast, he gave a 15 min. US weather report. It was kind of comical.

Earl Finkle (RIP)...great old school forecaster...the guy is a legend in Illinois and Iowa and built a radio network of wx forecasting.

Here are the ones that are "my favs"

Tom Skilling (seriously, he's the best TV met in the country, hands down. Anyone who has WGN America on cable and can watch Skilling's forecasts at 10 PM should...it's an absolute treat for wx weenies)

Paul Douglas (Minneapolis met, very forward thinking on technology and wx, brought "EarthWatch" to the world)

Tom Clark in Scranton

Hurricane

Elliot Abrams

Dr. Joe Sobel

Joe Lundberg (wish Joe was back on KYW locally)

Tex Antoine and the famous 3 day forecast back in the 70's on ABC he looked drunk half the time but was quite the weather guy .I think forecast skill probably hasn't changed much even with the computers i'm probably wrong but it just seems that way especially in the winter see ya.

For Radio - Alan Kasper and Joe Cioffi - I remember growing up in Point Pleasant NJ listening to Alan about local snow storms on a radio station called WADB - oldies type music (we used to call it "WBAD")

There was a a lot of classic Mets growing up on TV but the one that really just sticks out in my mind is Jim Cantore when he started out with the Weather Channel back in the mid 80's - when he had hair and before he went running around to chase storms.

Bad Call - I remember this older silver hair Met on NY CBS evening news in the early '80's during winter time- we were at the tale end of a NorEaster (it had been mostly rain) and things were winding down - he gets on the air and predicts that the tri state area was still to be hit with 1 to 2' of snow - I remember the weather maps on the TV - everyone was in a panic - nothing happened - he was shortly released there after - sorry I don't remember the year or Met but definitely remember the circumstance

<br />For Radio - Alan Kasper and Joe Cioffi - I remember growing up in Point Pleasant NJ listening to Alan about local snow storms on a radio station called WADB - oldies type music (we used to call it "WBAD")<br /><br />There was a a lot of classic Mets growing up on TV but the one that really just sticks out in my mind is Jim Cantore when he started out with the Weather Channel back in the mid 80's - when he had hair and before he went running around to chase storms. <br /><br />Bad Call - I remember this older silver hair Met on NY CBS evening news in the early '80's during winter time- we were at the tale end of a NorEaster (it had been mostly rain) and things were winding down - he gets on the air and predicts that the tri state area was still to be hit with 1 to 2' of snow - I remember the weather maps on the TV - everyone was in a panic - nothing happened - he was shortly released there after - sorry I don't remember the year or Met but definitely remember the circumstance<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I believe that was John Coleman who was nice on a personal level,but was not an accurate forecaster.That was during the MARCH 28 1984 storm.He was not released though until sometime later on in that year.

Archived