• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weather and TV

famartin

Tex Antoine and the famous 3 day forecast back in the 70's on ABC he looked drunk half the time but was quite the weather guy .I think forecast skill probably hasn't changed much even with the computers i'm probably wrong but it just seems that way especially in the winter see ya.

Dad, is that you? LOL. Seriously tho. My dad is in his 60s and all he talks about is uncle weathbee. He continuously tells me that we have all these models today and they suck and are no better than when Tex was on the air. He said uncle was to the point and wouldn't beat around the bush with all these satellite pics, jet stream maps and other crap they put on the news now as filler. Uncle would just tell you what the deal was. He would come on and be like "folks, it's gunna snow a lot". etc. I never saw uncle weathbee, but I hear about it all the time from him. I try to tell my dad that forecasting is so difficult and he just says that uncle sorted thru it all and was the most accurate, even better than these clowns today. Every time i visit my parents and there is a storm around, i have to deal with this crap. Lol.

Concerning uncles demise. There was a rape story on right before the weather, it was about a young girl. Tex didn't hear the specifics of the story as he was getting ready for his forecast. So they ran the story and threw to Tex for his weather, and Tex foolishly said "Confucious say, when rape inevitable, just lay back and enjoy" or something like that. They came on after the break and did a public apology on the air. That was his demise.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dad, is that you? LOL. Seriously tho. My dad is in his 60s and all he talks about is uncle weathbee. He continuously tells me that we have all these models today and they suck and are no better than when Tex was on the air. He said uncle was to the point and wouldn't beat around the bush with all these satellite pics, jet stream maps and other crap they put on the news now as filler. Uncle would just tell you what the deal was. He would come on and be like "folks, it's gunna snow a lot". etc. I never saw uncle weathbee, but I hear about it all the time from him. I try to tell my dad that forecasting is so difficult and he just says that uncle sorted thru it all and was the most accurate, even better than these clowns today. Every time i visit my parents and there is a storm around, i have to deal with this crap. Lol.

Concerning uncles demise. There was a rape story on right before the weather, it was about a young girl. Tex didn't hear the specifics of the story as he was getting ready for his forecast. So they ran the story and threw to Tex for his weather, and Tex foolishly said "Confucious say, when rape inevitable, just lay back and enjoy" or something like that. They came on after the break and did a public apology on the air. That was his demise.

Tex used to win awards every year for the best TV weather spot on NYC TV in the 50's and 60's...He used the weather service forecasts but gave the other possibilities...Early February 1962 on his 11pm show he said if this low comes a little closer we could get some snow even though it wasn't in the forecast...Sure enough the next morning it was snowing...New Years Eve 1963 he was so drunk he was slurring his words...Uncle Wethbee the cartoon character he used would be dressed for what kind of weather we were having...If it was raining he would be wearing a rain coat etc...

My second favorite was Alan Kasper...The night of 1/19/1978 when the forecasts were for snow to change to rain again he was sceptical about the change because he noticed the snow rain line was moving south not north...Something a weenie like me couldn't know at the time...The official forecast was for 2-4" changing to rain like the last three storms did before that 0ne...He went with 4-8" or more...Sure enough the snow didn't change to rain until 14" fell and it gave a light coating of ice on top...

<br />Dad, is that you? LOL.  Seriously tho.  My dad is in his 60s and all he talks about is uncle weathbee.  He continuously tells me that we have all these models today and they suck and are no better than when Tex was on the air.  He said uncle was to the point and wouldn't beat around the bush with all these satellite pics, jet stream maps and other crap they put on the news now as filler.  Uncle would just tell you what the deal was.  He would come on and be like "folks, it's gunna snow a lot". etc.  I never saw uncle weathbee, but I hear about it all the time from him.  I try to tell my dad that forecasting is so difficult and he just says that uncle sorted thru it all and was the most accurate, even better than these clowns today.   Every time i visit my parents and there is a storm around, i have to deal with this crap.  Lol.  <br /><br />Concerning uncles demise.  There was a rape story on right before the weather, it was about a young girl.  Tex didn't hear the specifics of the story as he was getting ready for his forecast.  So they ran the story and threw to Tex for his weather, and Tex foolishly said "Confucious say, when rape inevitable, just lay back and enjoy" or something like that.  They came on after the break and did a public apology on the air.  That was his demise.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I will never forget his forecast on the night of FEB 6 1978.We were in a dry slot and it had begun to snow hard once again and he said that the backlash of the storm was going to produce whiteout conditions and more snow than there was on the front end for the 5 boroughs.He also said that backlash snows like this were rare for our area..........he was right on both counts.

Gordon Barnes for sure..even had "barnstorming" on CBS radio

I remember in 1975 with a storm coming up the coast not knowing where exactly the rain snow line would set up; he said places that start as snow will stay as snow; places that start as rain will stay as rain

Alan Kasper on May 8th, 1977 mentioned the possibility of NYC seeing a little snow, sure enough the next day we did!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I met Alan in 1980 at Parmus Bowling at an event and he invited me to NYC studios to see him..that was great.

Nick Gregory i met at a 100 year celebration of the blizzard of 1888 and he eventaully came to my school as a guest speaker on career day..Great Guy

Bon Harris back in the day made a forecast for the possibility of snow in the NW hills of Connecticut and it was early June..never happenned

Joe Witte was competent

Pat Pagano (Mid 1970's WSNL tv 67 Riverhead) was also fantastic

I even remember Joel Meyers doing the actual WINS accuweather forecast in the early 1970's

Now I have a question...WCBS/ WINS Accuweather/Craig Allen...who makes the forecast since they're so, so similar and why?

Also who remembers 936.1212 for weather?

Joe Cioffi wonderful too, back in the day News 12 LI did a story on me, Joe commented on me and I emailed him to thank him.

I also remember in February, 1969 ,my dad took me to 30 Rockefller Center and I knew NWS there, We went up to the second floor, A kind MEt showed us around and I saw up close a radar screen for the first time.

*****Sorry If I was redundant, just realized what I thought was an ealier post in another thread is here.***********

I remember back to the late 50's before Frank Field...

Tex Antoine

Carol Reed

Joe Bolton

Gordon Barns

Alan Kasper

Bob Harris

Craig Alan

Nick Gregory

Radio...

Joe Sobal

Elliot Abrahams

Bob Harris

Bill Korbell

Craig Alan

John Bothe

Didn't Joe Bolton become officer Joe Bolton and showed The Three Stooges on Ch 11?

Lee Goldberg called for mostly rain to a slushy 3 inches for NYC on Weds afternoon-evening tonight at 11. Currently no computer model supports this. What's he talking about??

In Manhattan, that may ver well be the case. Temps will be marginal at best. I mean, just picture large, heavy, wet snow flakes fall, hitting the pavement and melting. It's not so easy to get 6 in. accum. in Times Square.

Who was the weekend guy on Channel 5 during the 90s and early 2000s? He left out of the blue and I never saw him again anywhere else...I believe he was Hispanic or Asian.

Was it Joe Moreno? I want to say that was his name..My favorites are Bill Evans and Nick G and I couldn't stand Heidi Jones not surprised at what she did.

Was it Joe Moreno? I want to say that was his name..My favorites are Bill Evans and Nick G and I couldn't stand Heidi Jones not surprised at what she did.

Yes, that was it....the story is coming back to me now...I want to say him and Mike Woods swapped jobs in that Woods left the same station somewhere out west that Moreno went to and they replaced each other.

Yes, that was it....the story is coming back to me now...I want to say him and Mike Woods swapped jobs in that Woods left the same station somewhere out west that Moreno went to and they replaced each other.

Joe Moreno was at channel 4 for a couple of years a few years back.

I mentioned this earlier...

Glenn last night was upbeat with heavy snow at changeover... 6abc Chick was on the upbeat side also... Bolaris posted 6"+ for N / W counties with 4"+ PHL.

This am Bill H. on nbc10 was eh about the storm... same with 6abc, i think whats her name even said something like 1" on back end for city.

I guess some flip flopping happened overnight and now flopping again this afternoon I'm sure.

Glenn is still the best for PHL area :thumbsup: .

Can't wait for his call :)

PS.. Rob G. does a great job at liveweather site.

I mentioned this earlier...

Glenn last night was upbeat with heavy snow at changeover... 6abc Chick was on the upbeat side also... Bolaris posted 6"+ for N / W counties with 4"+ PHL.

This am Bill H. on nbc10 was eh about the storm... same with 6abc, i think whats her name even said something like 1" on back end for city.

I guess some flip flopping happened overnight and now flopping again this afternoon I'm sure.

Glenn is still the best for PHL area :thumbsup: .

Can't wait for his call :)

PS.. Rob G. does a great job at liveweather site.

Glenn's calls are always 50% smaller then actual.....

not a bill evans fan simple reason..if you listen to bill evans on a regular basis he seems to speak to fast and gets tongued tied at times..a ocm has to speak clearly!

Never noticed this...I do know in complicated setups he tries to get the nuances of the forecast in there...which is difficult in a 90 second to 3 minute TV segment...which I always appreciated.

glenn has 5-8" in philly, 8-12" in most of bucks and points N&E. looks like significantly less amounts S&W though, which i dont agree with

His map looks pretty close to the latest NWS map.

Kathy Orr looked to have the totals about half as much for pretty much the whole region.

Yeah! I have no idea what she was looking at! 2-4" for Philadelphia?? The CCB banding will drop that in the matter of 3 hours (maybe less). Sometimes you just have to laugh..

Glenn is the only tv forecaster I can trust, let alone watch. Even if you don't agree with him, you can't dispute his knowledge and experience, and can't claim he is just hugging models. The fact that he not only reads this site but posts here as well is telling.

Archived