• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 19-21 MW/GL/OV Storm part 2

Hoosier

It was a snippet of the entire relative portion of the AFD below. I thought it was a little funny, considering again, Chicago is above normal to date with snowfall. But that's a dead horse topic I wish not to relive. ;)

No I agree, good humor from them and a good way to take it. I was just surprised since the public has access to it--and snowfall can be a hazardous event in many ways--maybe not the most prudent thing to say but maybe there are also a lot of other fellow snow lovers in the area tongue.gif

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No I agree, good humor from them and a good way to take it. I was just surprised since the public has access to it--and snowfall can be a hazardous event in many ways--maybe not the most prudent thing to say but maybe there are also a lot of other fellow snow lovers in the area tongue.gif

I would assume only TV mets, OEM's, and the like actually read those things. Well other than the weenies (myself and others on here) that is.

I'm sure that was just a snippet of a larger discussion.

I kind of like it. It demonstrates that a professionally trained scientist can love snow as much as the lowliest weenie.

No trust me I thought it was funny too--and I knew that wasn't the whole discussion. Just think if they liked ice storms and they mentioned they were sad the ice wasn't coming. I did see a discussion a long time ago where the office mentioned they were unhappy the severe weather may miss the area and what eventually happen was destructive storms passed right through the region. They got flak for that one.

For LAF and that region probably nothing special. Of course short-lived mesoscale bands can be expected with any rapidly developing system, but it does seem the best persistent mesoscale banding threat will be farther S and E after the phase. From an IPV standpoint, what the NAM and all models are doing is triggering the development of the upper level cold front down towards the surface after the phase. You can see that in the 500 hpoa vorticity fields from around 51-66 hours as the height fields rapidly respond (increased shear vorticity as wind fields rapidly strengthen) to an increasing thermal gradient as the tropopause lowers. In short--the best banding will be along the developing low level cold front as frontogenesis develops. Most of that activity will probably be in KY and just S of you--aka southern IN

Thanks. Could allow some areas to overperform at least on an isolated basis.

I would assume only TV mets, OEM's, and the like actually read those things. Well other than the weenies (myself and others on here) that is.

Actually you would be surprised how much the public reads them. The discussion has many ways changed the last 20 years with the internet from a simple office-office communication to something available as part of the actual forecast.

IND AFD. Not a bad read...a little short, but to the point.

Thanks. Could allow some areas to overperform at least on an isolated basis.

My friend just started out at IND. I will ask her what she thinks and if she had anything to do with that forecast. Overall they seem pretty spot on--although I can't tell where they are placing the banding based on their wording.

Does anyone know yet whether or not the system is onshore and or if it got into modeling?

For those up this way wondering..

nam_500_030s.gif

That stuff crossing the lakes is what basically screws us from the system coming north.

This closer in does not help either. See the SE coast.

nam_500_018s.gif

What they both do is keep ridging ahead of the system in check which keeps the system further south as it passes us by to the south and east. Thus lose that crap and we have ourselves a better chance of a snowstorm up this way. Unless the storm can find a way to phase alot quicker. Chances of either happening i think are slim at best. Yeah models can be off a bit but i don't see them being that far off. JMHO

yeah nice analyisis Harry

always some fly in the ointment lately

Archived