Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 19-21 MW/GL/OV Storm part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny, as much as a step back as the 18z NAM looks like at the surface, I'm actually liking H5 more than I did at 12z. Looks like the northern stream is digging more.

Just comparing the 18 and 12z runs, at 6z Friday, the surface low may be a little better developed/precip shield a little farther northwest. Probably just noise really.

Just comparing the 18 and 12z runs, at 6z Friday, the surface low may be a little better developed/precip shield a little farther northwest. Probably just noise really.

Even if it is an improvement, it might not make a difference. The NAM could continue to trend better until it looks like (insert blizzard of your choice here), but if the other models don't come along, especially the EURO, it's hard to take any threat it shows too seriously.

Even if it is an improvement, it might not make a difference. The NAM could continue to trend better until it looks like (insert blizzard of your choice here), but if the other models don't come along, especially the EURO, it's hard to take any threat it shows too seriously.

the nam has scored coupes before....but it's rare. Hard to ignore the rock solid boring solution of the euro.

True, true. It's really the NAM against the world, and the 18z Run took a good step towards the others I think.

Still, a really good hit for KC to STL on east through CVG.

Maybe somebody with a little more expertise on 300mb maps can correct me if I'm wrong, but what strikes me as a reason this storm remains progressive, even on the NAM, is the lack of strong jet energy diving into the base of the trough

nam_300_066s.gif

I believe that's an essential ingridient for slowing the trough and allowing it to amplify.

The height field downstream is a little too flat for my liking. It's gonna be difficult for this thing to not try to slip east toward the coast. Doesn't mean it can't do some damage before that.

True, true. It's really the NAM against the world, and the 18z Run took a good step towards the others I think.

Still, a really good hit for KC to STL on east through CVG.

not sure about that....looks pretty close to it's 12z run. Not sure it took a step away from that. If it's still doing this at tonites runs, i might, might, start to slightly believe. :weenie:

Uh, wasn't that just a plotting error on Plymouth?

Couldve been, I didnt read anything about it.. Just seen a lot of people posting it on here as well as other places.. google "944mb low" youll see what I am talking about lol

edit: actually cant find the pages I seen it on last night.. odd.

Ill give myself a double bunner :weenie: :weenie:

At least Im not like Buckeye and sticking to my guys. :)

not sure about that....looks pretty close to it's 12z run. Not sure it took a step away from that. If it's still doing this at tonites runs, i might, might, start to slightly believe. :weenie:

Well if you compare QPF fields between the 12 and 18z runs, note IL and IN, it went a good ways south. Much more like the GFS and Euro IMO.

There was good potential with this storm yesterday, but I think a moderate storm is now likely as the globals stopped the amplification trend last night at 0Z of the northern stream (it will be coming in more S-SE instead of nearly due S) after 2 days straight of slow amplification trends, and the western wave will only partially phase. Were the SREF models to score another coup with continued amplification like they did last storm, this could have been much bigger. As is, it will probably eventually be a step below the 18Z NAM as it will probably take another step back with the phase--but it will still be a good moderate event for many.

Pretty surprised by this out IND.. Hopefully not the kiss of death for us.. :yikes:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

350 PM EST TUE JAN 18 2011

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH

LATE THURSDAY NIGHT...

.AN UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE WILL MOVE INTO CENTRAL INDIANA LATE

WEDNESDAY NIGHT BRINGING ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL.

* MAIN IMPACT: ROADS WILL BECOME VERY SLIPPERY DUE TO HEAVY SNOW

AND DRIFTS...REDUCED VISIBILITIES...TRAVEL MAY BECOME VERY

HAZARDOUS. RUSH HOURS WILL BE AFFECTED.

* ACCUMULATIONS: 4 TO 6 INCHES

* TIMING: HEAVIEST SNOWFALL EXPECTED DURING THE THURSDAY 7 AM TO

7PM TIME FRAME.

* OTHER IMPACTS: WINDS WILL INCREASE ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE STORM

CAUSING BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT

SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.

CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

Color me surprised by this out of IND..

LATE THURSDAY NIGHT...

7PM TIME FRAME.

well damn, i would imagine iln might pull the trigger unless they hold for timing issues

Color me surprised by this out of IND..

LATE THURSDAY NIGHT...

7PM TIME FRAME.

Yeah I'm surprised, especially for the northern areas where this thing is hanging by a thread. Then again, it's only a watch and I would expect eventual conversion to advisory at least for part of the area.

Yeah I'm surprised, especially for the northern areas where this thing is hanging by a thread. Then again, it's only a watch and I would expect eventual conversion to advisory at least for part of the area.

I'm guessing it's more of an attention getter for people to take note..

Archived