• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

I have this copied for just these posts.

Yeah exactly. The inevitable "THE MODELS SUCK!" comments are going to come out in these patterns. The models are doing fine. It is a nod to human ingenuity that these models can even suggest these threats 5-7 days in advance. Kudos to them; no kudos to the people who believe models suck if they can't nail down threats a week in advance.

should we repeat and tap our heals together three times

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The December mini melt down was even better. That one overnight run of the NAM about 36 hours before gametime shifted way south, barely got the 1" line to near DCA and kept the .25 right along the PA border after several runs before that had DC in 2" and my area in 1.5". There were like 10 people freaking out big time, and even DT started going nuts over on SV thinking Richmond was in the game for 20" suddenly. It was funny because I was actually telling people to chillax and it was just one run of one model, and I usually am the one worrying about stuff. Of course the next run was like 2" up to the Mason dixon line LOL

after 2 horrible winters, I think it was fair to say many people were on edge before 12/19/09

should we repeat and tap our heals together three times

heals?

As long as we stop bashing models without having a clue how they work--I don't care what people do. I think some folks need to realize what it would be like with no numerical guidance. I know some of the old timers can attest to what that was like.

http://www.americanw...models-so-good/

GEM seems to have warm surface temps, because the precip type has very little ice, its all snow or ran/snow mix or rain. That implies a slight change in surface temps could mean some of that is snow, its hard to tell without 850 temps. We will know a lot more when ewall updates.

You are going too deep. It is colder with an OK track. 100+ hours out that is enough. On to the Euro.

after 2 horrible winters, I think it was fair to say many people were on edge before 12/19/09

Didn't the NAM spit out like 50 inches of snow verbatim in a bullseye at one point somewhere around here less than 36 hours before the storm? I remember I didn't believe it, till I saw someone say that, and I was like, "Damn, this is the real deal."

heals?

As long as we stop bashing models without having a clue how they work--I don't car what people do. I think some folks need to realize what it would be like with no numerical guidance. I know some of the old timers can attest to what that was like.

http://www.americanw...models-so-good/

sorry....thanks for pointing out that letter....if you buy a brand new car and it starts giving you major problems after 2 weeks, the dealer telling you it's better than the horse and buggy aint bringing u comfort. I have no idea what the issue might be, but for the GFS to show a HECS with the only major question being where rain/snow line is at 1/21 0z to turn around and make show a clipper system 24 hours later is just goofy that's all.

the better graphics on ewall are updated, as I suspected 850's look a lot better then the precip output implied, I am guessing there are 35 degree surface temps keeping it from being snow. Judging by 850's it starts as snow, during the height of the storm the 850 line gets to right along 95 then collapses east. There is also a look that makes sense at h7 now that I have been hoping for, and that is the dryslot. After an initial thump snow instead of heavy rain we would dryslot before a period of wrap around snows. Makes sense given the H7 track also.

Phin: I am well aware this is pointless but I am bored and its fun to do analysis so I am doing it, even if it is silly. This is purely for entertainment purposes.

sorry....thanks for pointing out that letter....if you buy a brand new car and it starts giving you major problems after 2 weeks, the dealer telling you it's better than the horse and buggy aint bringing u comfort. I have no idea what the issue might be, but for the GFS to show a HECS with the only major question being where rain/snow line is at 1/21 0z to turn around and make show a clipper system 24 hours later is just goofy that's all.

It is the nature of chaos--we will never get around this in our lifetimes. I said early on the models would probably have some of the lowest verification scores in the height field with this pattern--it is just how certain patterns develop. Some forecasts are just significantly more challenging than others.

the better graphics on ewall are updated, as I suspected 850's look a lot better then the precip output implied, I am guessing there are 35 degree surface temps keeping it from being snow. Judging by 850's it starts as snow, during the height of the storm the 850 line gets to right along 95 then collapses east. There is also a look that makes sense at h7 now that I have been hoping for, and that is the dryslot. After an initial thump snow instead of heavy rain we would dryslot before a period of wrap around snows. Makes sense given the H7 track also.

Phin: I am well aware this is pointless but I am bored and its fun to do analysis so I am doing it, even if it is silly. This is purely for entertainment purposes.

GGEM has a warm bias anyway. ;)

It is the nature of chaos--we will never get around this in our lifetimes. I said early on the models would probably have some of the lowest verification scores in the height field with this pattern--it is just how certain patterns develop. Some forecasts are just significantly more challenging than others.

While the GFS has been on a roll lately it really has no support right now. Where can we look for evidence of which camp may be onto the right solution at this point? Do you see any clues yet?

fair enough...in your opinion what is more likely....clipper type of 2 to 6 inch snows ....or.... Hecs E of 95 w snow to rain and still a big storm East of 95? Thanks, and sorry i had actually fallen asleep after 0z NAM, and looked at the GFS run just past midnight... was just shocking when I first looped it. Wasn't bashing you, just surprised that's all

Archived