Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post Turkey Day Storm Threat

Baroclinic Zone

0z euro has no support long term from any other models does it

not that i want to throw away the king of models even during day 7-10.

yea, the euro is way more amplified with the 500 low moving across the conus next week. This results in the SE ridge getting pumped up (i.e. rain for the NE). Anyone have the link to the model comparisons graph which shows 500 verification scores? Wondering how the scores compare as this -NAO block is coming into play.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z euro has no support long term from any other models does it

not that i want to throw away the king of models even during day 7-10.

The ec ensembles are colder after Thanksgiving weekend verbatim, but it looks like they are sniffing out some sort of low coming out of the Plains, because thicknesses rise over the East Coast. It's too early to determine details.

The ec ensembles are colder after Thanksgiving weekend verbatim, but it looks like they are sniffing out some sort of low coming out of the Plains, because thicknesses rise over the East Coast. It's too early to determine details.

are you saying they are colder after t-giving vs. OP

also thickness rise >5400 for SNE on most ensembles after tgiving weekend? or just from colder to cold

are you saying they are colder after t-giving vs. OP

also thickness rise >5400 for SNE on most ensembles after tgiving weekend? or just from colder to cold

Well the ensembles are a mean, so yes while they technically are colder then the op, it's hard to determine details of specific storms. Take this image at hr 336. While the ensemble mean is below 540, clearly some of the members are showing warmer solutions, so you see how difficult it is to say with certainty what will happen. The fact that we have a nice block and a generally cold looking pattern is fine for me.

Would be crazy if the GFS turned out to be correct here :lol:

After the update to the gFS earlier in the spring/summer the GFS really performed quite well for the summer, especially with the tropical side of things, if the GFS has the correct sense here could be something to really keep in mind as we go through the winter.

At least the Euro has shown little run-to-run consistency with the Thanksgiving storm... it's gone from big lakes cutter to suppressed and weak and back and forth again.

Looking at the spaghetti plots at H5 on the ec ensembles, there are members that look like the op run, at d10. Most of them are further east with the trough, but it looked like at least several members kept it further west. As Kevin Garnett once said....anything is possible..lol.

Looking at the spaghetti plots at H5 on the ec ensembles, there are members that look like the op run, at d10. Most of them are further east with the trough, but it looked like at least several members kept it further west. As Kevin Garnett once said....anything is possible..lol.

Is there a big spread in how they look in regards to the NAO/PNA/EPO setup?

Is there a big spread in how they look in regards to the NAO/PNA/EPO setup?

The block is there in terms of the nao, but I think it's struggling out west. Some members seem like they want to shift the trough further west, but most are setting it up towards the East Coast. Having a strong -nao will help us out and it continues to be steadfast.

The block is there in terms of the nao, but I think it's struggling out west. Some members seem like they want to shift the trough further west, but most are setting it up towards the East Coast. Having a strong -nao will help us out and it continues to be steadfast.

Given the look of the NAO on the models I would bet the trough would probably setup closer to the east-coast, at least for a short period of time...while the PNA does go negative the signal isn't all that strong and it's going to take some time for the SE ridge to rebuild.

As long as we can keep the -NAO that strong this signal should overcome any SE ridging that tries to develop, once we start to lose this -NAO look though I assume we will start seeing the ridge build right back in rather quickly.

Archived