joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PHL Jan 17-19 Snow/Ice/Rain Storm Obs

am19psu

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feb, I also think that it could get real nasty tonight into tomorrow around here. Like Horst said earlier, the temps didn't budge at all today...once precip starts we should also drop a few degrees. in events in the past when temps are this low and the majority of precip falls over night, they typically don't rise as fast and we tend to last longer on the frozen side...i'm thinking we see a real messy morning commute tomorrow.

I agree. I saw no brine spreaders out, and i guess they are banking on rain, but that may not be until a much later phase of the storm. Find it odd, we simply have a WWA, but they do say "ALL UNTREATED SURFACES WILL BE HAZARDOUS LATER TONIGHT AND CONDITIONS MAY NOT IMPROVE UNTIL AFTER THE MORNING RUSH HOUR".

I think this type of storm can be worse for the public than a general 4-6 inch snow.

Holding at 24, humidity up to 56% and winds ESE at 2.

I agree. I saw no brine spreaders out, and i guess they are banking on rain, but that may not be until a much later phase of the storm. Find it odd, we simply have a WWA, but they do say "ALL UNTREATED SURFACES WILL BE HAZARDOUS LATER TONIGHT AND CONDITIONS MAY NOT IMPROVE UNTIL AFTER THE MORNING RUSH HOUR".

I think this type of storm can be worse for the public than a general 4-6 inch snow.

This storm is only going to meet WWA criteria, there's nothing odd. What more do you want? It speaks the truth.

There usually is not alot of virga with these as you get closer to the coastal areas because the easterly flow ahead of it often gives you enough saturation...virga could kill you to an extent in an event like this since you are strapped for time as far as getting frozen precipitation even though it could indicate as you say you have a fresher cold air mass.

Yeah Tom, you're on crack for wanting virga ;)

They are probably thinking that, "once it switches to freezing rain, the brine will just wash off the roads and you'll end up with an icy road anyway, better to save it for the morning when you'll need it."

The only comment I can raise is that getting a slushy mess on the road might be better than a clear road...

As others have reported no virga

Snow picking right up here in NW Chesco

Temp 22.1

RH 71%

DP 14.2

Wind NE 2 gusts to 6mph

It's just hard to imagine people in the low 20s are going to skyrocket past freezing with NE winds. Where is the warm air coming from? It's in the teens across most of SNE and single digits across NNE.

Southerly flow @ 850 and 700 will take care of the upper levels, but at the surface I agree with you.

It's just hard to imagine people in the low 20s are going to skyrocket past freezing with NE winds. Where is the warm air coming from? It's in the teens across most of SNE and single digits across NNE.

<br />It's just hard to imagine people in the low 20s are going to skyrocket past freezing with NE winds. Where is the warm air coming from? It's in the teens across most of SNE and single digits across NNE.<br />

There isn't much wind and the high is puling away. You guys will be frozen a lot longer but with "wind" here less than 10 mph for the most part the milder push will win out for the coastal plain and low lying areas near Philly.

Archived