• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    vokive3692
    Newest Member
    vokive3692
Pittsburgh, PA Thread

meatwad

Winter Storm Watch is needed soon, and also like to point out is i don't compare every storm to those big events, maybe you could get your facts straight!!!!!!!!!!!!

5-10 inch snowfall is likely, and there is no dry slot issue for us, plain and simple

I admire you sticking your neck out there North Pitt and taking the abuse. I hope you are right here. The 6z NAM shows 5 inches or so you maybe right on the low end. 2-4" now that is a silly utterance by Government Weather. They always hedge once the flakes start flying, so expect a 180 or a 90 from them by tommmorrow as the storm approaches.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow guys chill. Seriously, most of us know realistic totals, and writing 20 posts calling someone out when we all know its wishcasting, or bittercasting, is just as annoying as the person calling for 93 every storm. I'm sure pretty much everyone else in here is getting as sick of it as me, lets just discuss the weather, and maturely disagree so that maybe some people can learn a thing or two.

Wow guys chill. Seriously, most of us know realistic totals, and writing 20 posts calling someone out when we all know its wishcasting, or bittercasting, is just as annoying as the person calling for 93 every storm. I'm sure pretty much everyone else in here is getting as sick of it as me, lets just discuss the weather, and maturely disagree so that maybe some people can learn a thing or two.

Yeah, it's kinda embarrassing to read such emotional disco. over a 3-5" clipper. But seriously though, this will probably be a solid fast moving system. 3-5" over only a 8-10 hr period is still a good bit of snow, especially if you gotta be somewhere.

The energy still looks good, and although the moisture won't be abundant, the angle of the trough might squeeze out a few more inches for the area.

I am probably way off base with this, but it cracks me up to see, no matter how hard they try to hide it, a person's true face eventually starts to show itself. And at this point all you can do is laugh.

Yeah, it's kinda embarrassing to read such emotional disco. over a 3-5" clipper. But seriously though, this will probably be a solid fast moving system. 3-5" over only a 8-10 hr period is still a good bit of snow, especially if you gotta be somewhere.

The energy still looks good, and although the moisture won't be abundant, the angle of the trough might squeeze out a few more inches for the area.

I am probably way off base with this, but it cracks me up to see, no matter how hard they try to hide it, a person's true face eventually starts to show itself. And at this point all you can do is laugh.

You're not off base...

It's arguing by.....or caused by.... the same people who have been previously banned multiple times by either here or Eastern.

You're not off base...

It's arguing by.....or caused by.... the same people who have been previously banned multiple times by either here or Eastern.

ya know, i belong in the central pa thread, but i come over and read about whats happening to my west. It didn't take me long to wonder about some of these posters which was way off of what everyone else had ops wise. etc. I don't blame you guys for gettin piised off. I'd have them down to 5 posts a day, maybe that would curb their "enthusiasm"

I admire you sticking your neck out there North Pitt and taking the abuse. I hope you are right here. The 6z NAM shows 5 inches or so you maybe right on the low end. 2-4" now that is a silly utterance by Government Weather. They always hedge once the flakes start flying, so expect a 180 or a 90 from them by tommmorrow as the storm approaches.

That's fine....just give us some technical details on why you see that as a silly call. This looks every bit like a 3 to 5" type storm. The NWS has been excellent lately.

Again....we do not get 10" synoptic snowstorms in Pittsburgh off of an OPEN WAVE, PROGRESSIVE SYSTEM. In times where QPF blows up at the last minute, there are features which are driving that. Also, the GFS's so called "dry and SE bias" is not that in every situatuation....just situations where rapid cyclogenesis is taking place. That is NOT the case here, and thus QPF is not going to magically double.

We are better served learning the upper air setups analogous with major Pittsburgh snowstorms, and spend less time theorizing about government agendas, and inspiring a mega weenie

In a storm like this, if you say 3-5" Thats fine, I agree with that call, but to rip another person/organization for going 2-4" just seems picky and silly..

BTW, Looks like all models are starting to come together for one solution. looks like a overall a 2-4" swap for us, with some 5" totals not out of the question. I think looks at GFS and NAM you will need to go by past I-80 and East Mountains to get about 5-6" and even that looks pretty close to 5-6"..

The NWS keeps saying that the dry slot is going to limit us to advisory type totals for this next system. Are they trying to say that if we don't get dry slotted that we could see better than advisory type totals? The way I see it, I really don't see us getting dry slotted, but I still don't think we see more than 4 or 5 inches out of this anyway. Maybe I'm reading too much into what they are saying. Just sounded to me like they're saying it's the possible dry slot itself that keeps our totals down.

Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

240 PM EST WED JAN 19 2011

PAZ013-014-020>022-029-031-073-075-WVZ001>004-012-021-022-200400-

/O.NEW.KPBZ.WW.Y.0005.110120T2100Z-110121T1100Z/

LAWRENCE-BUTLER-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-WASHINGTON-GREENE-

WESTMORELAND-FAYETTE-HANCOCK-BROOKE-OHIO-MARSHALL-WETZEL-MARION-

MONONGALIA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW CASTLE...ELLWOOD CITY...BUTLER...

ZELIENOPLE...ALIQUIPPA...BEAVER FALLS...AMBRIDGE...MONACA...

BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...FORD CITY...

LEECHBURG...FREEPORT...APOLLO...WASHINGTON...CANONSBURG...

DONORA...CALIFORNIA...CHARLEROI...MONONGAHELA...MCMURRAY...

WAYNESBURG...FAIRDALE...GREENSBURG...NEW KENSINGTON...JEANNETTE...

LATROBE...MONESSEN...UNIONTOWN...CONNELLSVILLE...POINT MARION...

TORONTO...WEIRTON...WHEELING...MOUNDSVILLE...NEW MARTINSVILLE...

FAIRMONT...MORGANTOWN

240 PM EST WED JAN 19 2011

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THURSDAY TO 6 AM

EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THURSDAY

TO 6 AM EST FRIDAY.

* ACCUMULATION: 3 TO 6 INCHES.

* TIMING: LATE THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS: ROADS WILL LIKELY BECOME SNOW COVERED.

* VISIBILITIES: REDUCED TO LESS THAN ONE MILE AT TIMES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW

WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW

COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE

DRIVING. REPORT YOUR SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS TO THE NATIONAL

WEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING TOLL FREE...1-877-633-6772.

&&

$$

That looks like a good track for us! Unfortunately it doesn't have a lot of support and some mets were saying the overall evolution does not make a lot of sense. At one point the Southern stream shortwave basically stays put for 24 hours allowing the northern stream to catch up and phase. Obviously this is not likely though with a neutral to slightly positive NAO around that time a more inland solution is plausible.. Still something to track which is what we are all here for!

f168.gif

2:30 PM Disco

.SHORT TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --THE TROUGH WILL CROSS THE AREA THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY. GIVEN

THE TROUGH IS PROGGED TO REMAIN OPEN AND RATHER PROGRESSIVE...THINK

SNOW TOTALS FROM THE SYNOPTIC SYSTEM WILL BE KEPT DOWN A BIT.

POST SYSTEM NW FLOW SNOW SHOWERS WILL DEVELOP BEHIND THE TROUGH

FRIDAY...HOWEVER WITH DEEP NW FLOW LIMITED TO ABOUT 12 HOURS IN

DURATION AND A RELATIVE SHORT PERIOD OF INCREASED MIXED LAYER

DEPTH...THINK LAKE/UPSLOPE ENHANCEMENT WILL ALSO BE SOMEWHAT

LIMITED. GIVEN THE ABOVE FACTORS...WILL ISSUE A WINTER WEATHER

ADVISORY FOR ALL AREAS THURSDAY TIL 6 AM FRIDAY FOR THE

LOWLANDS...AND 4 PM THURSDAY TO 6 PM FRIDAY FOR THE I-80

CORRIDOR/RIDGES. OVERALL...EXPECT 3 TO 5 INCHES OF SNOW FROM THE

TROUGH THURSDAY/THURSDAY NIGHT...AND AN ADDITIONAL 1-4 INCHES FROM

THE POST SYSTEM LAKE ENHANCEMENT/UPSLOPE FRIDAY.

I like the 1-4 LES mention...LOL.

Alright cool, I'm ready for a nice little advisory event that could drop up to 5 inches. Not to mention we have storms to track, that aren't necessarily even fantasy range. I pretty much agree with the Nws 3-5 seems like a good bet, and as was already mentioned, being that this is a fast mover, that is a good amount of snow for a quick storm. It will be nice to build back our snow pack as well.

Alright cool, I'm ready for a nice little advisory event that could drop up to 5 inches. Not to mention we have storms to track, that aren't necessarily even fantasy range. I pretty much agree with the Nws 3-5 seems like a good bet, and as was already mentioned, being that this is a fast mover, that is a good amount of snow for a quick storm. It will be nice to build back our snow pack as well.

That Euro track for next week would be great for both of our areas.

That Euro track for next week would be great for both of our areas.

Yeah, right now it looks awesome. Def something to travel, but we all need to use some caution with it. How did this look 5-7 days out?

As for this event, its always great to snow, but Both NAM and GFS keeps us under 5" for most part. I really don't see LES being a big issue here and neither do those models. NAM has snow coming in for a bit Friday Night, but its very light.

Both models show afternoon to be dry.

Great little discussion from NWS State College this afternoon. Wish KPIT went into more detail like this:

.SHORT TERM /6 AM THURSDAY MORNING THROUGH 6 PM THURSDAY/...

A WEAK RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE WILL NOSE EAST INTO THE REGION FROM

THE OHIO VALLEY THROUGH THE FIRST HALF OF THE DAY. SHALLOW BKN-

OVC STRATO CU DECK MAINLY ACROSS THE CENTRAL AND NW MTNS...WILL BE

TOPPED BY A LAYER OF THICKENING MID/HIGH CLOUDS DURING THE LATE

MORNING AND EARLY AFTERNOON. LATEST SREF AND SHORT RANGE

OPERATIONAL MODEL GUIDANCE INDICATES THAT SNOW WILL DEVELOP

ACROSS THE WESTERN ZONES AROUND OR SHORTLY BEFORE DUSK ON

THURSDAY...AND BEGIN ACROSS THE EAST TWD MIDNIGHT.

THE FORCING INITIATING THE SNOWFALL WILL BE GRADUAL DEVELOPMENT

OF A SLUG OF WARM ADVECTION ASSOCIATED WITH THE APPROACH OF THE

LEFT EXIT OF THE UPPER JET THAT WILL BE TIGHTENING UP AND SLIDING

OFF JUST TO OUR SOUTH. QPF LOOKS MEAGER SO SNOW AMOUNTS IN EXCESS

OF 4 INCHES WILL LIKELY HAVE TO BE DUE TO SOME HIGH SNOW-WATER

RATIOS WHICH BUF KIT HINTS AT WITH A DEEP DENDRITIC SNOW GROWTH

ZONE BEING APPROACHED BY A SHORT LIVED BUT POTENT AREA OF UPWARD

VERTICAL MOTION. MOST OF THIS SHUD OCCUR THURS NIGHT AND IS

ADDRESSED BELOW.

For those of you that have to go out tonight, be careful out there. It's slick in some spots from the freezing drizzle that has been falling today. I almost fell on my ass in a parking lot.

Yeah, hit a few patches of ice on 40..

WTAE had some areas, especially east 4-8"

Also, according to NAM Looks good for some snow Friday night for a few hours could re slicken things.

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/data/cobb_nam/nam_kpit.dat

Great little discussion from NWS State College this afternoon. Wish KPIT went into more detail like this:

.SHORT TERM /6 AM THURSDAY MORNING THROUGH 6 PM THURSDAY/...

A WEAK RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE WILL NOSE EAST INTO THE REGION FROM

THE OHIO VALLEY THROUGH THE FIRST HALF OF THE DAY. SHALLOW BKN-

OVC STRATO CU DECK MAINLY ACROSS THE CENTRAL AND NW MTNS...WILL BE

TOPPED BY A LAYER OF THICKENING MID/HIGH CLOUDS DURING THE LATE

MORNING AND EARLY AFTERNOON. LATEST SREF AND SHORT RANGE

OPERATIONAL MODEL GUIDANCE INDICATES THAT SNOW WILL DEVELOP

ACROSS THE WESTERN ZONES AROUND OR SHORTLY BEFORE DUSK ON

THURSDAY...AND BEGIN ACROSS THE EAST TWD MIDNIGHT.

THE FORCING INITIATING THE SNOWFALL WILL BE GRADUAL DEVELOPMENT

OF A SLUG OF WARM ADVECTION ASSOCIATED WITH THE APPROACH OF THE

LEFT EXIT OF THE UPPER JET THAT WILL BE TIGHTENING UP AND SLIDING

OFF JUST TO OUR SOUTH. QPF LOOKS MEAGER SO SNOW AMOUNTS IN EXCESS

OF 4 INCHES WILL LIKELY HAVE TO BE DUE TO SOME HIGH SNOW-WATER

RATIOS WHICH BUF KIT HINTS AT WITH A DEEP DENDRITIC SNOW GROWTH

ZONE BEING APPROACHED BY A SHORT LIVED BUT POTENT AREA OF UPWARD

VERTICAL MOTION. MOST OF THIS SHUD OCCUR THURS NIGHT AND IS

ADDRESSED BELOW.

They easily have some of the best discussions. They go into great detail and really break stuff down.

Archived