Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Pittsburgh, PA Thread

meatwad

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't take this as being bitter, but looking at current totals being reported. Whole way down stream through Indiana and Kentucky nothing will big is being reported. Alot of 2-3" reports. Even out in Ohio where its been snowing for several hours some areas are only reporting a inch.

Road Dept in Orange County Indiana was reporting 5" that was the highest I found.

NAM still has the highlands getting dumped on :thumbsup: Shows almost .60 QPF

wouldn't worry about that. our big snow is due tonight:

SHORT RANGE GUIDANCE AGREES THE BEST FORCING WILL BE OVER THE

REGION ROUGHLY FROM 00Z THROUGH 06Z WITH STRONG WARM ADVECTION

AND LOW-MID LEVEL FRONTOGENETIC FORCING. MODEL SOUNDINGS SHOW

CLOUD TEMPS COOLING AND DROPPING DOWN...INTERSECTING THE BEST

UPWARD VERTICAL MOTION DURING THIS TIME RESULTING IN SNOW-WATER

RATIOS OF 15 TO AS MUCH AS 20 TO 1. TIME SECTION PLOTS FROM THE

GFS/NAM SHOW STRONG FRONTOGENETIC FORCING UP THRU ABOUT 600

MB...TOPPED BY A LAYER OF WEAK STABILITY REPRESENTED BY NEGATIVE

THETA-E LAPSE RATES AND EPV.

Roads are pretty awful right now....commute home stank.

As far as totals, I like how this is setting up. I really think that this will end up in the 4-6 range, and in all honesty, I don't think it is at all imposible that we hit warning criteria. Radar looks good, no dry slot, and we should have snow for the next 12 hours I would say. Gotta love these overperformers!!

wouldn't worry about that. our big snow is due tonight:

SHORT RANGE GUIDANCE AGREES THE BEST FORCING WILL BE OVER THE

REGION ROUGHLY FROM 00Z THROUGH 06Z WITH STRONG WARM ADVECTION

AND LOW-MID LEVEL FRONTOGENETIC FORCING. MODEL SOUNDINGS SHOW

CLOUD TEMPS COOLING AND DROPPING DOWN...INTERSECTING THE BEST

UPWARD VERTICAL MOTION DURING THIS TIME RESULTING IN SNOW-WATER

RATIOS OF 15 TO AS MUCH AS 20 TO 1. TIME SECTION PLOTS FROM THE

GFS/NAM SHOW STRONG FRONTOGENETIC FORCING UP THRU ABOUT 600

MB...TOPPED BY A LAYER OF WEAK STABILITY REPRESENTED BY NEGATIVE

THETA-E LAPSE RATES AND EPV.

Roads are pretty awful right now....commute home stank.

As far as totals, I like how this is setting up. I really think that this will end up in the 4-6 range, and in all honesty, I don't think it is at all imposible that we hit warning criteria. Radar looks good, no dry slot, and we should have snow for the next 12 hours I would say. Gotta love these overperformers!!

Just had KDKA on and Jeff V was saying snow is done by 11pm and will be light but persistent. NWS makes it sound like we are going to be in the heaviest snow between 7pm and 1am then it will start to trail off after that. Gee, wonder who I am going to go with. :lol:

I trust the NWS and the people in this thread more than the local Mets at this point.

Seeing quite a few 4-5 inch reports back through IN, OH, and Kentucky, which is good for us as that is what is heading our way, and it is still snowing there....I think generally, as stated, based on radar returns right now and what is going on west of us 4-6 is a good call...

That seems to be the concensus, unlike last week which was more wham bam frontogenesis ma'am, the lift isn't as intense this week, but the moderate snow will be longer in duration.

Just had KDKA on and Jeff V was saying snow is done by 11pm and will be light but persistent. NWS makes it sound like we are going to be in the heaviest snow between 7pm and 1am then it will start to trail off after that. Gee, wonder who I am going to go with. :lol:

I trust the NWS and the people in this thread more than the local Mets at this point.

Well, there is NO WAY that this is done by 11....

After Feb 5-6 last year when at 6pm when there was already 4 inches of snow on the ground and the locals were still "looks like 4-6 total!" they lost ALL credibility with me. I mean, every storm they draw out the exact same map, that might depict 3-5 in Pittsburgh, 4-6 North and East, and 6-8 in the Laurel's, even if in this case there is really going to be zero difference between accumulations area wide, outside of maybe the mountains.

I have met Jeff on a number of occasions and make a wish functions and he is a great guy, but he and KDKA need to get away from accuweather.

Well, there is NO WAY that this is done by 11....

After Feb 5-6 last year when at 6pm when there was already 4 inches of snow on the ground and the locals were still "looks like 4-6 total!" they lost ALL credibility with me. I mean, every storm they draw out the exact same map, that might depict 3-5 in Pittsburgh, 4-6 North and East, and 6-8 in the Laurel's, even if in this case there is really going to be zero difference between accumulations area wide, outside of maybe the mountains.

I had a screen shot of Demetrius Ivory the night before the big one he had this retarded map showing Pittsburgh 4-6"(Probably your template) . What they did with that storm was criminal, they worse than mailed it in. That twit, what was her name, Julie Bologna she was equally as clueless. The local Mets here are something to put on between the segment on Peanut Butter Pirogies and Steelers news. 2" and moderate snow here.

I had a screen shot of Demetrius Ivory the night before the big one he had this retarded map showing Pittsburgh 4-6"(Probably your template) . What they did with that storm was criminal, they worse than mailed it in. That twit, what was her name, Julie Bologna she was equally as clueless. The local Mets here are something to put on between the segment on Peanut Butter Pirogies and Steelers news. 2" and moderate snow here.

The name calling isn't really needed, but the area stations aren't set up like it use to be when we had DeNardo, Kudzma, and Bowman manning the 3 major PIT stations. Its now all about who watches who. None of the stations managers care if they get the forecast right, all they care about who shows up the prettiest and draws the best. Outside of us, few people out of how many in SWPA are going to criticize them for being off a few inches. Sad, But True.

Ivory's reasoning was lack of a closed H5 low. Historically, that is a perfectly valid line of thought for Pittsburgh with Ohio Valley lows and coastal transfers. This really was not consistent until the final few model runs, despite the high QPF's creeping closer.

The Feb 5th storm was NOT in any way shape or form a slam dunk HERE. Places to the east had 2.0" to 2.5" QPF totals and had about a 200 mile radius of the same. So if something went a little wrong in DC....no biggie...a shift still meant 20" a snow. With us, a shift would have changed things a bunch.

My complaint about the locals was not adjusting in mid storm. The H5 low and strong mid level jet was in order, there was already a foot on the ground, the 0Z's showed another foot possible, and radar was certainly incredible. Why didn't they adjust to something better than 12-14" at 11:00PM? That I have no idea.

But my ultimate point is we do need to back off and not compare everything to Feb 5th. They have been fine in the last 11 months. The NWS was good on Feb 5th, and has also been very good since. I would love to get to point where I am reading people like Ivory's or Bologna's comments here, instead of some 17 year old kid in the North Hills. I think letting that busted forecast go may help our chances

Archived