• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Pittsburgh, PA Thread

meatwad

GFS seems to agree, only 0.01 qpf and not even all of that is likely ice. Could cause slick spots on untreated surfaces though but may not even qualify for advisory criteria. GFS does still show some decent snow chance ~.25 over 24 hours from panel 54 on.

Both GFS and Nam showing a swatch of snow on Wed am behind the front. We may be surprised by a nice 1-3 event. Then next storm Friday looks to bring some snow in. Something to watch anyway.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --MODELS NOW SUPPORT SOUTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVE MOVING QUICKLY

NORTHEAST FROM SOUTHERN PLAINS AHEAD OF DIGGING NORTHERN STREAM

UPPER TROUGH. BUMPED UP POPS TO LIKELY LATER THURSDAY INTO

THURSDAY NIGHT AS THIS SYSTEM HAS POTENTIAL FOR SOME ACCUMULATING

SNOW. SNOW SHOWERS WILL DIMINISH FRIDAY AS SURFACE RIDGE BUILDS

IN. NO CHANGES TO LATER FORECAST PERIODS AS MODELS DIFFER ON

TIMING AND STRENGTH WITH POSSIBLE CLIPPER SATURDAY. TEMPERATURES

STILL APPEAR TO BE WELL BELOW NORMAL THROUGH PERIOD.-- End Changed Discussion --

Both GFS and Nam showing a swatch of snow on Wed am behind the front. We may be surprised by a nice 1-3 event. Then next storm Friday looks to bring some snow in. Something to watch anyway.

Meh, nothing all that exciting on the models right now, some clippy clips which we know have a tendency to disappoint. I am hoping February and early March ratchet up the excitement. Seems like every system is traversing up the EC , sitting over Cape Cod and then up to maritimes with little or no feedback to any low in Ohio Valley. As we approach the middle of meteorological Winter soon, this year has been a little on the disappointing side, well compared to last year which had 4-6 weeks of nice snow events.

Meh, nothing all that exciting on the models right now, some clippy clips which we know have a tendency to disappoint. I am hoping February and early March ratchet up the excitement. Seems like every system is traversing up the EC , sitting over Cape Cod and then up to maritimes with little or no feedback to any low in Ohio Valley. As we approach the middle of meteorological Winter soon, this year has been a little on the disappointing side, well compared to last year which had 4-6 weeks of nice snow events.

I am not so sure. All models are now showing a swath of snow coming in Thursday night. Things can still change but I can see a possible 2-4 inch scenerio out of this.

I am not so sure. All models are now showing a swath of snow coming in Thursday night. Things can still change but I can see a possible 2-4 inch scenerio out of this.

post-1757-0-54672800-1295286426.jpg

Now if this was to happen!!!! we would get a 1-2 feet of snow out of this with really high snow ratios with temps in the 10s and 20s

Looks like a big system to watch :popcorn:

My call would be a safe 4-8 inch snowfall

Now if this was to happen!!!! we would get a 1-2 feet of snow out of this with really high snow ratios with temps in the 10s and 20s

How is that a 12-24" storm?

My safe bet would be a 1-3"

How is that a 12-24" storm?

My safe bet would be a 1-3"

ah still possible, :arrowhead:, looks at the models and maybe you would see what's happening

and also the the recent RUC short range forecast has us getting precip and staying colder

some snow and freezing rain, some ice accumulations seem possible

post-1757-0-84451600-1295292597.gif

also looking at the HRRR Model most runs has us getting freezing rain

post-1757-0-41104700-1295292971.png

While I am not discounting that solution verifying (especially considering some Mets in other sub forums are talking about a more phased wound up solution) its way to early to even give a first call, unless you meant based on only the GGEM run (with the assumption it verifies verbatim)

Will be fun to see how things unfold over the next week or 2 as it looks cold with storm opportunities in the works.

18Z nam has us clocked on hour 84 which would be Thursday night.

qpf of .50-.75.

In the ballgame.

:snowman:

Wow! Had no idea we were even tracking a storm other than the small icy situation coming up. When did the models start showing this? I haven't been able to follow them lately, and which ones are showing it because i took a quick glance at the gfs earlier and didn't see anything that stood out but it was quick.

Wow! Had no idea we were even tracking a storm other than the small icy situation coming up. When did the models start showing this? I haven't been able to follow them lately, and which ones are showing it because i took a quick glance at the gfs earlier and didn't see anything that stood out but it was quick.

GFS has it, but it is more of a light clipper front.

European models and now Nam are catching on to this.

Several days for movement but something to track and the cold air should be in place.

The 18Z NAM has the 60 hour precip total at hour 84 at .75-1.00; definitely something to track!

18Z nam has us clocked on hour 84 which would be Thursday night.

qpf of .50-.75.

In the ballgame.

:snowman:

Wow, that really does look good. Lets hope it keep getting wetter for us. Also, 18z NAM looks to really minimize the liquid precip as we look to stay a bit colder then get into the dryslot when it really warms up. Hopefully this should let us keep a couple inches of our snow pack.

northpit, don't take this the wrong way, but you are a model hugger. I can do that too, but I know enough to know that a forecast requires more than what a model says.

And who relies on the HRRR more than 6 hrs out? It's not really a go-to model.

I don't think he is a model hugger.....he just looked at a model above that verbatim shows 2-4" for us and says it shows 2 feet. Random wishcasting is a more appropriate phrase perhaps

The Thurs/Fri storm has 4" to 8" written all over it. Not a huge storm as currently depicted but pretty good agreement on the NAM and GFS. NAM looks a little juicier, but that's nothing new

Could be the best synoptic snowfall of the winter thus far if it stays the course. Could make for a short week for folks, MLK off and Friday off due to weather. :thumbsup:

The Thurs/Fri storm has 4" to 8" written all over it. Not a huge storm as currently depicted but pretty good agreement on the NAM and GFS. NAM looks a little juicier, but that's nothing new

Looks more like 2-4" with higher east and North, Kind of like what we had 5 days ago,

Looks more like 2-4" with higher east and North, Kind of like what we had 5 days ago,

Nah, modeled much further west than the last storm. The amounts are changing but if you took the nam it'd be way over 2-4. I'm not saying its the 3 ft blizzard northpitt predicted but yeah it definitely bears watching.

Nah, modeled much further west than the last storm. The amounts are changing but if you took the nam it'd be way over 2-4. I'm not saying its the 3 ft blizzard northpitt predicted but yeah it definitely bears watching.

The 18Z NAM verbatim would give us about 6-10 inches. I'll be curious if the 00Z model suite continues to show the phasing happening.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

729 PM EST MON JAN 17 2011

OHZ040-041-050-PAZ007>009-013>016-020>023-029-073-075-WVZ001-002-

180400-

CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-JEFFERSON OH-MERCER-VENANGO-FOREST-LAWRENCE-

BUTLER-CLARION-JEFFERSON PA-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-INDIANA-

WASHINGTON-WESTMORELAND-FAYETTE-HANCOCK-BROOKE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CARROLLTON...EAST LIVERPOOL...SALEM...

COLUMBIANA...EAST PALESTINE...WELLSVILLE...CALCUTTA...

STEUBENVILLE...SHARON...HERMITAGE...GROVE CITY...GREENVILLE...

FARRELL...OIL CITY...FRANKLIN...SUGARCREEK...TIONESTA...

NEW CASTLE...ELLWOOD CITY...BUTLER...ZELIENOPLE...CLARION...

PUNXSUTAWNEY...BROOKVILLE...REYNOLDSVILLE...BROCKWAY...

ALIQUIPPA...BEAVER FALLS...AMBRIDGE...MONACA...BEAVER...

PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...FORD CITY...LEECHBURG...

FREEPORT...APOLLO...INDIANA...WASHINGTON...CANONSBURG...DONORA...

CALIFORNIA...CHARLEROI...MONONGAHELA...MCMURRAY...GREENSBURG...

NEW KENSINGTON...JEANNETTE...LATROBE...MONESSEN...UNIONTOWN...

CONNELLSVILLE...POINT MARION...TORONTO...WEIRTON

729 PM EST MON JAN 17 2011

...CHANCE OF LIGHT FREEZING RAIN TONIGHT AND EARLY TUESDAY...

A LIGHT WINTRY MIX OF PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP TONIGHT

AND PERSIST THROUGH EARLY TUESDAY. INCLUDED IN THIS MIX IS THE

POTENTIAL FOR SOME LIGHT FREEZING RAIN. ALTHOUGH SIGNIFICANT ICE

ACCUMULATION IS NOT ANTICIPATED, ONLY A FEW HUNDREDTHS OF AN

INCH ARE NEEDED TO FORM SLICK SPOTS ON UNTREATED SIDEWALKS AND

ROADS.

THE PRECIPITATION AREA IS FORECAST TO MOVE RAPIDLY NORTHEASTWARD,

AND TEMPERATURES WILL RAPIDLY RISE ABOVE FREEZING ON TUESDAY

MORNING TO END ANY ICE ACCUMULATION POTENTIAL.

OVERNIGHT MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO SLOW DOWN AND BE ALERT FOR ICY

SPOTS, ESPECIALLY ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES. MORNING RUSH HOUR

COMMUTERS SHOULD MONITOR THE MORNING CONDITIONS AND UPDATED FORECAST.

BE PREPARED TO ALLOW FOR SOME EXTRA TIME.

IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO REPORT ICE OR SNOW ACCUMULATION TO THE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE, CALL OUR AUTOMATED DATA ENTRY LINE TOLL

FREE AT 1-877-633-6772.

$$

Archived