joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread

meatwad

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking maybe I will just stay home tomorrow....

Issued by The National Weather Service

Pittsburgh, PA

7:59 pm EST, Tue., Jan. 11, 2011

... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT EST WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT EST WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* ACCUMULATION: A TOTAL OF 4 TO 6 INCHES WILL ACCUMULATE THROUGH WEDNESDAY... WITH ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATION EXPECTED WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* TIMING: BANDS OF STEADY SNOW WILL DIMINISH FOR A TIME AFTER MIDNIGHT. LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS WILL PICK UP IN INTENSITY WEDNESDAY AND CONTINUE THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* WINDS: SOUTHWEST WINDS WILL BECOME WEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH OVERNIGHT. NORTHWEST WINDS OF 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 30 MPH WEDNESDAY WILL CAUSE WIDESPREAD BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

People see the 4-6" and they think thats extra, not total... Its not hard to do.

I just got back from getting a hair cut. We have 3.5 inches of new snow. The roads here are terrible. They have just begun to lay some salt at the itersections. The wind was wipping around and really made it feel just awful out, but I loved every minute of it. Yes, I am a snow weenie..

People see the 4-6" and they think thats extra, not total... Its not hard to do.

Up where I am, our roads are HORRIBLE when we get anything over 3 inches.

I am convinced that Armstrong County is the black sheep county of the region! LOL You can literally tell on 28 when you finally hit the Allegheny line because the road is finally clear!

And my town! Well they try......

Hmm.. over 115 schools delayed/cancelled. I really would of thought they would have at least waited to see if the backside had anything impressive, but the roads are actually horrible here. How long would you guys in the burbs say it takes for you to get plowed? I mean I'm out in Plum and haven't had one yet, granted it is rather rural. A lot of the main roads in Monroeville and what not are usually done good, although it is Much more busy.

Hmm.. over 115 schools delayed/cancelled. I really would of thought they would have at least waited to see if the backside had anything impressive, but the roads are actually horrible here. How long would you guys in the burbs say it takes for you to get plowed? I mean I'm out in Plum and haven't had one yet, granted it is rather rural. A lot of the main roads in Monroeville and what not are usually done good, although it is Much more busy.

I think there is more to go into delays then snow on the road.. If that was the only issue, alot of schools would have closed or had early dismissal today. You have to remember snow is on the street and sidewalks and kids are walking to school, bus stops, and standing at bus stops. Safety issue.

I measured again this morning on my sidewalk which I had shoveled last night and it had another new 1.75 inches around 6:45 this morning. Brings me to about 4.25 total but I was still in the middle of that heavy band when I left for work so hopefully ill get enough to make it to 5 or more.

Roads were pretty bad, I think the snow band hit at about the worst time this morning so you may see some schools closing as a result.

Wow at the snow rates in conneticut...places had 20 inches of snow as of 7am and it started snowing there at 11 last night...consistently 3 inches per hour.

New England seems to be getting what they missed last Winter. This weekend looks promising for an overunning event. Joe Bastardi says a big January thaw coming and then Winter makes a return. We will see, Joe is like a broken clock.

you guys quit crying last night really bashing me doesn't do anything, i've been around for 4 years, maybe i made some bad forecasts and some great ones

also back to the snow, all the schools are pretty much closed

i got 3 inches last night, and got here another 3 or maybe 4 inches overnight into today, with more coming

looks like my original 6-10 inch totals are dead on :thumbsup:

Archived