• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread

meatwad

You can't count the snow already on the ground.....

You gonna ever tell me your crossroad with Rt 8 so I can see how impressive your snowfall is?

oh my god i measured the snow before the storm this morning, and i got home today and measured 2 1/2 inches and there was a clap of thunder i swear

post-1757-0-85029400-1294778231.gif

This shows another hour or two of 1-2 inch per hour rates, that low is deepening west of us

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 1/2 here in Gibsonia, roads are awful i seen only 2 roads somewhat cleared, also had a clap of thunder an hour ago, impressive

6-10 inch totals are a good bet

It only started snowing 2 1/2 hours ago.

No way we have been getting 1 inch per hour snowfall rates since it started. The first hour was light snow.

Come on! There hasn't been one lightning strike in the U.S. per lightning maps.

Are you for real?

With a heavy band of snow like that I wouldnt be surprised if what you heard was thunder. Lightning maps might not pick up on a bolt of lightning. Thundersnow just has snow falling instead of rain.

To the people panicking.. not only are we getting the heavy bursts associated with the front end... but you guys should realize as the ull moves through the drier area is going to be associated with that, and as it moves out the precip will circulate through again. Easily seen on the high res models. Heres how the high res models show it

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrrconus/jsloop.cgi?dsKeys=hrrr:&runTime=2011011119&plotName=cref_sfc&fcstInc=60&numFcsts=16&model=hrrr&ptitle=HRRR%20Model%20Fields&maxFcstLen=15&resizePlot=1&domain=full&wjet=1

To the people panicking.. not only are we getting the heavy bursts associated with the front end... but you guys should realize as the ull moves through the drier area is going to be associated with that, and as it moves out the precip will circulate through again. Easily seen on the high res models. Heres how the high res models show it

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrrconus/jsloop.cgi?dsKeys=hrrr:&runTime=2011011119&plotName=cref_sfc&fcstInc=60&numFcsts=16&model=hrrr&ptitle=HRRR%20Model%20Fields&maxFcstLen=15&resizePlot=1&domain=full&wjet=1

Yeah and even during the evening when some of that drier air comes in there will be light snow maybe some moderate bursts, but looks like some heavy snow overnight on the back end

Judging by the radar, it looks like we may see a few more hours of steady snow. After that, snow showers or just periods of light snow overnight. Unless the radar fills back in west of us, then the steady stuff might go longer. A lot of us thought 3-5 for this storm and I think that's pretty much what most of us will get, give or take an inch.

where are you talking about? And what news?

3.5 inches here, looks like another half of inch till the brief break, some light to moderate snow in the break under the low and then overnight some moderate to heavy snow may form with activity on the backside of the storm

6-10 inch snowfall is the best bet right now

KDKA said additional 3-6 is likely

post-1757-0-35896300-1294786199.png

3.5 inches here, looks like another half of inch till the brief break, some light to moderate snow in the break under the low and then overnight some moderate to heavy snow may form with activity on the backside of the storm 6-10 inch snowfall is the best bet right now KDKA said additional 3-6 is likely
They said a TOTAL of 3-6. NOT additional! Just heard them on KDKA radio.

I had to open my big mouth. Snow is starting to pick up in intensity again. Why can't it ever snow like this when I don't have to drive anywhere? Oh well.

Looks like you should be in more light snow in a few, then a break with in an hour. Where are you heading? Main roads are actually pretty good.

3.5 inches here, looks like another half of inch till the brief break, some light to moderate snow in the break under the low and then overnight some moderate to heavy snow may form with activity on the backside of the storm

6-10 inch snowfall is the best bet right now

KDKA said additional 3-6 is likely

post-1757-0-35896300-1294786199.png

No, they didn't say that. I have them on and Burnett said 3-6 storm totals including what we already got thru Thursday. Expects another coating to an inch once the LES kick in.

Archived