• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Amatuer Snowfall Maps for 1/12/11 Event

Confuzzled

Post them here. Mine is really only for CT because I just focus IMBY more or less and I post it for friends and family on facebook :arrowhead:

You can extrapolate it if you want I suppose.... South Eastern NE gets hit hardest.....

post-2247-0-10324700-1294675238.jpg

Barring naything crazy with the rest of the 00z models that is it.......

not so sure I agree..

your 3-6 area for me would be a 6-12 with areas east of 91 (in ct staying in the theme of your map) being 8-16" with another 6-12 area near groton

Kevin BETTER say I'm not too low

Discussion:

Well folks the weather pattern continues to be very active and after a weekend which featured two snowfall events, which turned out to be pretty significant for some, we look right ahead to our next threat, which will be tomorrow night through much of the afternoon on Wednesday, and this storm looks like it will be a massive hit.

There has been some excellent model agreement going on over the past few days in regards to this storm, all models show a hit and show a pretty big hit, some even show an absolute pounding. At this stage I think it's pretty much fair to say that we are going to get a storm and we are going to get a big one, in fact this storm has potential to produce much higher widespread snowfall totals than the blizzard did just a day after Christmas.

A strong negatively tilted trough will be swinging through the Northeast over the next couple of days with lots of energy, given the upper-level pattern we will see favorable development for rapid cyclogenesis occur right along the coast just south of our region, as this system moves northward it will continue to rapidly strengthen and draw in a great deal of moisture. Given how the storm track will be to the south and east out our region this should be an all snow event, however, it's still possible this storm tracks far enough to the west to where parts of eastern MA (mainly the Cape area) experience a period of mixing. This will have to be watched as we get closer to the event.

With such rapid deepening and a negatively tilted trough there will be an incredible amount of lift over the region, this coupled with excellent moisture convergence and surface convergence will lead to a period of extremely heavy snowfall, given how strong the lift is coupled with great moisture advection and warm air advection into the storm the potential does exist for thundersnow as well, if this occurs we will see further enhancement of the snowfall rates. It's possible some of the snowfall rates in the heaviest banding could exceed 3-5''/HR rates. This would dump a great deal of snow in a small time frame as well as causing whiteout conditions at times.

This system should also feature some strong winds, although nothing like we saw in the blizzard, however, with the potential for strong winds and heavy snowfall some locations may experience blizzard conditions at times.

Forecast:

I pretty much think the hardest hit areas will be from most of CT out through all of RI and up through NE MA...the track of the system is VERY favorable for these areas to get pounded and pounded hard. Somewhere in this area is where we are likely to see a strong band setup, this band will lead to produce the highest snowfall totals and whoever gets under this banding could potentially see close to 24'' of snow...possibly a few inches more.

Firstcallmap.jpg

Kevin BETTER say I'm not too low

Discussion:

Well folks the weather pattern continues to be very active and after a weekend which featured two snowfall events, which turned out to be pretty significant for some, we look right ahead to our next threat, which will be tomorrow night through much of the afternoon on Wednesday, and this storm looks like it will be a massive hit.

There has been some excellent model agreement going on over the past few days in regards to this storm, all models show a hit and show a pretty big hit, some even show an absolute pounding. At this stage I think it's pretty much fair to say that we are going to get a storm and we are going to get a big one, in fact this storm has potential to produce much higher widespread snowfall totals than the blizzard did just a day after Christmas.

A strong negatively tilted trough will be swinging through the Northeast over the next couple of days with lots of energy, given the upper-level pattern we will see favorable development for rapid cyclogenesis occur right along the coast just south of our region, as this system moves northward it will continue to rapidly strengthen and draw in a great deal of moisture. Given how the storm track will be to the south and east out our region this should be an all snow event, however, it's still possible this storm tracks far enough to the west to where parts of eastern MA (mainly the Cape area) experience a period of mixing. This will have to be watched as we get closer to the event.

With such rapid deepening and a negatively tilted trough there will be an incredible amount of lift over the region, this coupled with excellent moisture convergence and surface convergence will lead to a period of extremely heavy snowfall, given how strong the lift is coupled with great moisture advection and warm air advection into the storm the potential does exist for thundersnow as well, if this occurs we will see further enhancement of the snowfall rates. It's possible some of the snowfall rates in the heaviest banding could exceed 3-5''/HR rates. This would dump a great deal of snow in a small time frame as well as causing whiteout conditions at times.

This system should also feature some strong winds, although nothing like we saw in the blizzard, however, with the potential for strong winds and heavy snowfall some locations may experience blizzard conditions at times.

Forecast:

I pretty much think the hardest hit areas will be from most of CT out through all of RI and up through NE MA...the track of the system is VERY favorable for these areas to get pounded and pounded hard. Somewhere in this area is where we are likely to see a strong band setup, this band will lead to produce the highest snowfall totals and whoever gets under this banding could potentially see close to 24'' of snow...possibly a few inches more.

Firstcallmap.jpg

Now that's how you grab a handful of your friends balls and slam them into the wall. Nice Job!!

. . . Call it the truth.

All kinds of science that you folks just don't know about, or even understand used to come up with this beauty.

:snowman:

Now that's my kind of map. At least I'm in the 24"+ though our totals at this side of the hill are usually knocked down a bit.

not so sure I agree..

your 3-6 area for me would be a 6-12 with areas east of 91 (in ct staying in the theme of your map) being 8-16" with another 6-12 area near groton

Well I made that in the middle of the 12z suite. I would raise pretty much everything on it.

It seems all the forecasts have trended towards DT's first guess and consecutive calls a few days ago.

. . . Call it the truth.

All kinds of science that you folks just don't know about, or even understand used to come up with this beauty.

:snowman:

Wow - that's some spectacular work? Who knew Brooklyn was the snow capital.

You forgot to expand that a bit to include me and GINX.

That brings back memories of folks who used to make similarly childish looking maps on Eastern.

Wow - that's some spectacular work? Who knew Brooklyn was the snow capital.

You forgot to expand that a bit to include me and GINX.

That brings back memories of folks who used to make similarly childish looking maps on Eastern.

I burned out a belt in my snowblower, so a good dump is almost guaranteed.

post-4215-0-29797900-1294711448.jpg

My first call.

Believe a secondary max in snow falls over the hills of W Ct. and W Ma.... could be more snow in ENE than depicted but I'd want to be just W. of Boston to jackpot this one. Also, NE and SW fringes may be off, first time making such a large map.

I'm going to crack open a beer in homage to Ullr and hope that you are correct sir.

Archived