• Created
  • Last Reply

HPC:

"THE NAM IS DEEPER TRACKING THE LOW THROUGH OH/PA AND SHIFTS THE

CENTER OF THE LOW OFFSHORE SLOWER THAN THE GFS/ECMWF WHICH AGREE

WITH EACH OTHER. THIS CONSENSUS IS ALSO SUPPORTED BY THE NEW

UKMET/CANADIAN. THUS...RECOMMEND DISCOUNTING THE NAM AND USING

EITHER THE GFS OR ECMWF."

Not surprised and makes sense.. We will see if any other guidance follows suit at 12Z..

HPC:

Exactly. Its completely on its own and thus is for entertainment purposes only. This is shaping up to be a classic SNE event with eastern CT, Boston, Rhode Island cleaning up.

HPC:

Trying to find this HPC update on their site... Can you share a link? Thx

Exactly. Its completely on its own and thus is for entertainment purposes only. This is shaping up to be a classic SNE event with eastern CT, Boston, Rhode Island cleaning up.

Let the rest of the 12z suite run first. A model cant be on its own if the rest of the models haven't come out yet.

HPC:

Thats from this mornings disco at 1:35 AM FYI...

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/pmdhmd.html

Let the rest of the 12z suite run first. A model cant be on its own if the rest of the models haven't come out yet.

Even without the 12z it has been the western outlier for some time, and its siginificant that the srefs do not match up to it. Howeverf, you are correct, lets see if there are any other models that trend its way at 12z.

Trying to find this HPC update on their site... Can you share a link? Thx

I'm not sure if that was after the 00z or 06z guidance. I did notice the 06z rgem was still east, havent seen the 06z UK, but lets see what the rest of the 12z suite does. Either way they still have the area in/around NYC in a very good heavy snow (76" +)potential as does most guidance .

I'm not sure if that was after the 00z or 06z guidance. I did notice the 06z rgem was still east, havent seen the 06z UK, but lets see what the rest of the 12z suite does. Either way they still have the area in/around NYC in a very good heavy snow (76" +)potential as does most guidance .

:o:lmao:

Sorry Sacrus, I had to

This kind of stuff is worse than IMBY posts.

Can a met tell us if the qpf output makes sense with the NAM's evolution at the upper levels and how it tracks?

Of course it is. HPC would never write up a discussion without seeing all of the 12z models.

NAM could be wrong, but let's see the rest of the 12z modeling before we say that.

Right... This is what I thought, and why i wanted to see the link so I could see when it was published.. Need to see the rest of the 12Z guidance first before we conclude NAM as being out to lunch.. It's track is actually not too far from the other globals, it is just more juiced up.

It's physically realistic, but a western/deep outlier. I'm not weighting the NAM strongly at all.

Ok that's what I wanted to know. I realize it is a western outlier and has been for several runs. We mustn't forget though what happened at this stage of the game with the models for 12/26. Obviously this is a much different evolution and storm but I would not discount anything even just 36-42 hours prior to the event. The models went bonkers at this time frame w/ 12-26-10 after completely being out to lunch just prior to this time frame and at this point nothing would surprise me.

Thats more like Riverhead for the max, but anyway you slice it this is the wettest NAM run yet. It is insistent. The GFS has been just as insistent with its version of events. Euro has been fairly consistent too, but I think just sightly more variable than the American solutions. Unfortunately it is NAM against the world at this moment. I know which version we are all rooting for.

NAM better quality.

1.25"-1.50" for Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and near NYC. 1.50"-1.75" for all of LI with a precip maximum of 1.75"-2" for Port Jefferson area.

12znamp24_NE060.gif

Seems the 09z SREF charts were trending east and a bit less qpf for the NJ/NYC area, but I do believe the SREF's will ingest all the 12z guidance for the 15z package. In other words the 09z SREfs compared to the 12z NAm are not purely apples to apples data wise. Still would have been better for the SREF to hold serve, still some members leaning left though.

Thats from this mornings disco at 1:35 AM FYI...

http://www.hpc.ncep....ons/pmdhmd.html

Plus he didn't even give the full context:

...UPPER LOW MOVING FROM THE ROCKIES TO THE NORTHEAST THROUGH THE

PERIOD...

PREFERENCE: GFS OR ECMWF

THE NAM IS DEEPER TRACKING THE LOW THROUGH OH/PA AND SHIFTS THE

EITHER THE GFS OR ECMWF.

...LOW PRESSURE DEEPENING OFF THE MID-ATLANTIC/NORTHEAST COAST

TUE-WED...

PREFERENCE: BEFORE 00Z WED...NAM OR ECMWF

AFTER 00Z WED...2/3 ECMWF TO 1/3 GFS

THE NAM AND ECMWF ARE SIMILAR THROUGH 00Z WED...WITH THE GFS

SLIGHTLY EAST OF BOTH SOLUTIONS. HOWEVER...THEREAFTER THE

NAM...DUE TO ITS DEEPER AND SLOWER SOLUTION UPSTREAM...PULLS THE

LOW INCREASINGLY TOWARD THE WESTERN EDGE OF THE GUIDANCE...WHILE

THE GFS REMAINS CLOSE BUT SLIGHTLY EAST OF THE ECMWF LOW TRACK

THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE PERIOD. WHILE NO OBVIOUS PROBLEMS

EXIST WITH THE NAM'S SOLUTION LATE IN THE PERIOD...INCLUDING FROM

INITIALIZATION...ITS LOW TRACK LIES WEST OF NEARLY THE ENTIRE

DETERMINISTIC/ENSEMBLE GUIDANCE ENVELOPE AFTER 12Z WED AND THUS IS

DEEMED AN OUTLIER. AMONG THE REMAINING GUIDANCE...THE ECMWF HAS

SLIGHTLY BETTER ENSEMBLE SUPPORT THAN THE GFS...WITH BOTH THE

UKMET/CANADIAN CONTINUING TO LIE EAST OF THE GFS AND REPRESENTING

THE EASTERN EDGE OF THE GUIDANCE. THUS...THE ECMWF/GFS SOLUTIONS

ARE CONSIDERED MOST PROBABLE...WITH A SLIGHT PREFERENCE FOR THE

ECMWF.

This kind of stuff is worse than IMBY posts.

Can a met tell us if the qpf output makes sense with the NAM's evolution at the upper levels and how it tracks?

The overnight HPC discussion indicated that the NAM solution was reasonable but that they were weighting the GFS/ECMWF more because their solutions were also reasonable, were more consistent with each other and with their ensembles. But there appear to be no reasons why the NAM soution wouldn't be possible.

The overnight HPC discussion indicated that the NAM solution was reasonable but that they were weighting the GFS/ECMWF more because their solutions were also reasonable, were more consistent with each other and with their ensembles. But there appear to be no reasons why the NAM soution wouldn't be possible.

We'll know in a little while if the NAm remains the outlier

Thanks. I don't rule out anything at this stage. The 12-26-10 storm certainly taught us that.

RGEM takes a 997 low directly over the B/M and the heavy precip mostly stays just offshore. Nicks E NJ and E LI (10mm+ which is around 0.4" liquid in 6 hrs). Aloft it looks pretty robust than the NAM but adjusted east a hair.

So whats the precip amounts from C. NJ N & E.?

Thanks,

Rossi

Archived