• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are rough estimates:

PHL - .25"

TTN - .30"

BLM - .35"

NYC - .30"

Through 48 hours, which should be just about the whole storm. RGEM isn't really impressive at all for the area.

Im not sure of the RGEM's scoring or if this season its been progressive but with the 26th storm,even in the end it was quite east and under done. The GGEM has been off this year as well. Still think a blend of the GFS/NAm is best inside 54 hours.

What meteorological basis do you have for that? Or are you just wishcasting, which is explicitly against the rules of Storm Mode?

The 500mb trough looks a little more amplified at 24 vs. 6z, and the east coast ridging looks a hair stronger. Probably won't be super NAM strong but could be slightly west. 6z GFS ensembles were more aggressive than the OP also for the area, correct?

Even if you take a comprimise of the NAM and GFS for NE NJ since that seems to be the border area you take about 0.75" QPF up against a 10-1 ratio and you end up with 7.5". I've been saying all along this is your typical fast moving noreaster that dumps 6-12" widespread with higher amounts possible in banding. I wouldn't be suprised if some people got over 18" in our CWA especially in the lower hudson valley and possibly Bergen County. As far as LI goes...looks like they are in for a tad more with mixing issues along the immediate coast. All in all...not a MECS but a SECS for sure.

This is a quick way to get yourself 5-posted.

And thanks, I know how to compare models.

I was under the impression 500mb maps are kinda like steering currents...the 552 line shifted N a bit, at least in NW NJ..would that imply a track closer to the coast?..the whole trough looks a little more tilted tbh @ 24

The 500mb trough looks a little more amplified at 24 vs. 6z, and the east coast ridging looks a hair stronger. Probably won't be super NAM strong but could be slightly west. 6z GFS ensembles were more aggressive than the OP also for the area, correct?

There is hardly any difference in position between 42hr at 12z and 48hr at 6z. The surface low is a bit deeper, which is producing stronger QPF over Jersey.

There is hardly any difference in position between 42hr at 12z and 48hr at 6z. The surface low is a bit deeper, which is producing stronger QPF over Jersey.

There is a little difference, especially with the strength of the S/W through 42 and the slight W displacement of the dual lows. Positive feedback will bring this a tad W.

Reminds me of the Jan 2001 storm over superbowl weekend. Took some time to get its act together and ended up being a fast mover 4 to 8" over most spots slightly less than forecasted. Or even the March '09 storm which was mostly 6 to 10, a few spots less and some coastal areas that cashed in.

Even if you take a comprimise of the NAM and GFS for NE NJ since that seems to be the border area you take about 0.75" QPF up against a 10-1 ratio and you end up with 7.5". I've been saying all along this is your typical fast moving noreaster that dumps 6-12" widespread with higher amounts possible in banding. I wouldn't be suprised if some people got over 18" in our CWA especially in the lower hudson valley and possibly Bergen County. As far as LI goes...looks like they are in for a tad more with mixing issues along the immediate coast. All in all...not a MECS but a SECS for sure.

There is a little difference, especially with the strength of the S/W through 42 and the slight W displacement of the dual lows. Positive feedback will bring this a tad W.

Yeah, it's a hair west, but the bigger story, imo, is that it's deeper. The QPF field as a whole is stronger, not just translated westward.

Yeah, it's a hair west, but the bigger story, imo, is that it's deeper. The QPF field as a whole is stronger, not just translated westward.

GFS making positive steps towards the meso/non-hydro models. I do think the NAM is real close, maybe a hair E with the track will do. Intensity wise, you make a good point, and the NAM did track farther E yet more intense with the qpf shield farther W as a result.

Guest stormchaser

Im not seeing that it is deeper. Looks like its 1008 on 6z and 1008 at 42hr on 12z... Unless my eyes are not as good as i thought?

0.75" makes it to around Bklyn/Queens this run and nicks the NJ shore. On the whole the CCB develops sooner and blasts us for longer.

extremely good development IMO kinda bowed to the EURO and NAM in this regard. Still think 6+ is a good bet for NYC area with now only the UK and RGEM and potentially GGEM (most likely) suggesting something a little lighter.

Archived