• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
DC and regional final call (Jan 10-12)

Ellinwood

They sort of line up...one map is for Central VA mostly and the E is 2-4 with 5" close to D and the other map is for the Northeast and the 2-5 line is under D which is mostly the same area as E in the other map.

confusing yes but I get it sort of

First guess comes before first call.

Yeah, I got the gist of that, but why have two firsts is what I'm asking.

EDIT: Got my "answer" from someone on SV saying that it always goes "1st guess, 1st call, final call." Seems like there isn't much emphasis on the difference between "1st guess" and "1st call" other than one is made before the other. Of course there are differences between "guess" and "call," but such differences are relative in nature and can be construed in different ways.

Since the storm is 24 hours out from hitting the start of my map, I figured I would issue my final call for the region:

20110110-12_MAsnow2.png

Mixing will be a problem for North Carolina, southeastern Virginia and southern Delmarva, which could shift a bit north or south, depending on when, where and how quickly the coastal low can develop. A quicker low development off the East Coast would draw cooler air down from the north and create more snow over the “Mixing” area highlighted on the map. Snow totals have been bumped up for West Virginia and Pennsylvania as the low pressure center over the Midwest will be stronger than originally anticipated, which will help squeeze out more moisture in the western and northern parts of the region. This stronger Midwestern low is also what caused the mixing issues in North Carolina to jump northward, as it will create a stronger southerly flow in that area and will draw warmer mid-level and low-level air northward before the coastal low gets cranking.

I'd up amounts in Central and West PA . I was at KUNV for 4.5 years and those events usually busted low if the dryslot didn't make it in.

Overall I agree with the call.

I'd up amounts in Central and West PA . I was at KUNV for 4.5 years and those events usually busted low if the dryslot didn't make it in.

Overall I agree with the call.

Interesting observation... I'll keep an eye on that area as well, then. I'll have to also ask the opinions of my co-workers, many of which got their degrees at State College.

One other area I'll be concerned about, which I have seen on other forecasts so far, is the snowfall totals in western NC. My estimates are low compared to others, but then again we're talking DT/Henry/JB here, so I'm not that doubtful of my forecast.

I think your scenario is the maximum that BWI can possibly get, or our best case scenario.

agreed....just trying to be optimistic for yall. ive done better over here on the Delmarva...had 9 inches so far. lol not really that impressive but not bad considering how these storms have gone this winter. still have 1.5" left from yesterdays little event.

agreed....just trying to be optimistic for yall. ive done better over here on the Delmarva...had 9 inches so far. lol not really that impressive but not bad considering how these storms have gone this winter. still have 1.5" left from yesterdays little event.

I have about 2" so far this winter, and got 83" last year.

That is the difference between a series of dustings and a series of blizzards.

I have about 2" so far this winter, and got 83" last year.

That is the difference between a series of dustings and a series of blizzards.

yeah last winter was epic, i had 65" over here. This winter is total frustration...even thought i wasn't expecting much due to the La Nina, with the huge block we have had in place and persistently cold temps we have JUST missed on these storms. Congrats coastal Delaware, NJ, and esp SNE.

Snowfall estimates will have to be bumped up along the southern edge of the snow/mixed area in a lot of the forecasts, including my own... this storm has consistently been able to pull cold air farther south than expected from Louisiana to North Carolina. The Mixing areas could still transition over to FZ/PL/RA later, but not before some significant snow (1-3"+) falls along the coastal areas.

You didn't nowcast for NC/VA?

Easily 1-3" for most of eastern NC (Wilmington, NC already has over 7"!)

The focus of the map was not NC but um... Yeah... Touche.

If I were you, I'd limit the SW extent of the 3-6" to Cecil county.

Thought about that... I put some 1-3 colored dots around baltimore, to show pockets of 1-3 but it just looked crappy.

You should listen to what other people tell you that you should forecast.

If this is aimed at me, I'm not sure what your trying to imply.

S'ok... no one else had big snow (2+ in.) for central/eastern NC and SE VA anyway :arrowhead:

Agree that SNE could be upped, but it's not a sure thing yet.

I hadn't even noticed until you pointed it out :yikes::lmao:

Im sticking with SNE for now. I think (and have thought) h5 and up forces will push this thing out. Though granted this theory is going against the grain of the NAM's evolution.

Archived