• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
DC and regional final call (Jan 10-12)

Ellinwood

Since the storm is 24 hours out from hitting the start of my map, I figured I would issue my final call for the region:

20110110-12_MAsnow2.png

Mixing will be a problem for North Carolina, southeastern Virginia and southern Delmarva, which could shift a bit north or south, depending on when, where and how quickly the coastal low can develop. A quicker low development off the East Coast would draw cooler air down from the north and create more snow over the “Mixing” area highlighted on the map. Snow totals have been bumped up for West Virginia and Pennsylvania as the low pressure center over the Midwest will be stronger than originally anticipated, which will help squeeze out more moisture in the western and northern parts of the region. This stronger Midwestern low is also what caused the mixing issues in North Carolina to jump northward, as it will create a stronger southerly flow in that area and will draw warmer mid-level and low-level air northward before the coastal low gets cranking.

Since the storm is 24 hours out from hitting the start of my map, I figured I would issue my final call for the region:

20110110-12_MAsnow2.png

Mixing will be a problem for North Carolina, southeastern Virginia and southern Delmarva, which could shift a bit north or south, depending on when, where and how quickly the coastal low can develop. A quicker low development off the East Coast would draw cooler air down from the north and create more snow over the “Mixing” area highlighted on the map. Snow totals have been bumped up for West Virginia and Pennsylvania as the low pressure center over the Midwest will be stronger than originally anticipated, which will help squeeze out more moisture in the western and northern parts of the region. This stronger Midwestern low is also what caused the mixing issues in North Carolina to jump northward, as it will create a stronger southerly flow in that area and will draw warmer mid-level and low-level air northward before the coastal low gets cranking.

Good luck....I always love to see that circle around my house representing the lowest amounts....I blame your hatred for Ji on that.. :P j/k

Looks good for the most part. Ballsy going with a final call before others have even made their first with numbers!

The problem is I won't be able to make another map until after the precipitation starts falling in NC tomorrow morning (unless I decided to wait until the 18z stuff came in later today), and I'm not a fan of having a forecast start in the past. My maps run approx. 12z-12z for the days, and if I were to make a map tomorrow it wouldn't be until about 16z.

Good luck....I always love to see that circle around my house representing the lowest amounts....I blame your hatred for Ji on that.. :P j/k

Stop living in Leesburg :D It boggles my mind sometimes when people like Ji complain about less snow when they know darn well that their area is prone to getting less :P

Stop living in Leesburg :D It boggles my mind sometimes when people like Ji complain about less snow when they know darn well that their area is prone to getting less :P

Funny....really though my time here (6 years) I have noticed one thing about this area...sucks for thunderstorms because of the proximity to the mountains..and also is often modeled to be on the fringe for snowstorms and yet always ends up with comparable and often times higher snow totals than most. Can't always live on the edge but my guess is this storm will be no different and when the numbers come in we may have very similar totals as the higher numbers.

Anywho good/bad luck with your forecast. :weight_lift:

I don't think that is true.

I don't think that is true.

At least it seems like it, but that could be based on the way people post on here. I need to find that average yearly snowfall map you posted about a week back.

It seems like they're in the screw zone with the coastal storms, as would any more-interior area, but small-scale upsloping that the models don't catch could certainly bump the totals up in NoVA.

At least it seems like it, but that could be based on the way people post on here. I need to find that average yearly snowfall map you posted about a week back.

It seems like they're in the screw zone with the coastal storms, as would any more-interior area, but small-scale upsloping that the models don't catch could certainly bump the totals up in NoVA.

Leesburg averages about 23" of snow per year or just a tick above IAD

screw zone for miller b but sweet spot for true miller a

Here's Henry's map (not sure if it's final):

post-96-0-25095700-1294593620.png

6"+ for I-95 from DC to BOS? Ballsy for areas south of PHL. (looks like the 12z NAM from today!)

Also, he needs to fix his legend to match the colors on the map... it's a pet peeve of mine :( (probably has to do with how he uses the opacity of the colors on his map)

Agree on timing of final call. Final calls should not be before Monday PM IMHO.

For DC and north, I could agree. Please note that the forecast area will start receiving precip. less than 24 hours from the release time, and I can't make any adjustments tomorrow morning beforehand (I'll be at work!).

Surely you're joking

So I made a mistake in my statement that NoVA gets less... could you blame me given the way people post on here?

I need to permanently stick the regional annual snowfall map next to my computer just so I can laugh at people more when there is an outcry.

20110110-12_MAsnow2.png

nice first guess, although i would go a bit higher in NE MD, upper Delmarva and south Jersey away from the coast. 12z NAM has .70 for Dover, which should be all snow, maybe a period of sleet mixed in.

nice first guess, although i would go a bit higher in NE MD, upper Delmarva and south Jersey away from the coast. 12z NAM has .70 for Dover, which should be all snow, maybe a period of sleet mixed in.

It's a final guess :arrowhead:

Sorry to say that hugging the NAM is probably a bad idea at this point.GFS and ECMWF both have it in the 0.25-0.5" QPF range.

with stuff coming in from the west i could see them avging lower than the rest of the area but the vast majority of yr to yr snowfall must come from coastals

http://www.weatherwarrior.net/images/md-snow-avg.gif

with stuff coming in from the west i could see them avging lower than the rest of the area but the vast majority of yr to yr snowfall must come from coastals

http://www.weatherwa...md-snow-avg.gif

Thanks for the map re-post... didn't realize it's from Jason's site :D

It does seem like NoVA and the WV/MD panhandles are a bit of a screw-zone compared to their surrounding areas, but they still fare better than the DC region.

Thanks for the map re-post... didn't realize it's from Jason's site :D

It does seem like NoVA and the WV/MD panhandles are a bit of a screw-zone compared to their surrounding areas, but they still fare better than the DC region.

i think a lot of that is elevation -- valleys vs higher.. some shadowing perhaps

Archived