• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11th-12th Snow threat is REAL

Wx4cast

SREFS our in house meso and 4Km WRF have nudged more west from early morning runs. Thinking low tracks just SE of Block Island by tomorrow early afternoon. That's a perfect track for ENY to get thumped. banding too quite possible especially over WNE. We have nudged up total a bit this AM (actually just shifted the contours W and NW) some.

Still not farenough NW for Tornado Girl but the LES behind the storm looks good for the Tug..

special.JPG

If the air isn't to dry

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUANTITATIVE PRECIPITATION FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

151 PM EST TUE JAN 11 2011

PRELIM DAY 1 QPF DISCUSSION

VALID JAN 12/0000 UTC THRU JAN 13/0000 UTC

REFERENCE AWIPS GRAPHICS UNDER...PRECIP ACCUM - 24HR

...NERN U.S....

MDLS CONT TO SHOW THE OH VLY/GRT LKS MID/UPR VORTEX HANGING ON A

LITTLE LONGER THAN EARLIER RUNS...WITH SOME GUID SHOWG THE CSTL

LOW DVLPMENT A LITTLE SLOWER/FARTHER N. HIER RESOLUTION

GUID...INCLUDING EXPERIMENTAL NAM...CONTS TO FAVOR A LOW SLGTLY

CLOSER TO THE CST. OPERATION GLOBAL GUID IS SHOWG THE LOW LIFTG

TWD THE NE A LITTLE FASTER THAN THE HIER RESOLUTION GUID. THE

LONGER THE MORE INLAND MIDLVL LOW HANGS ON...THE BETTER CHC FOR

MORE DRY SLOT DVLPMENT INTO THE MID ATLC...WITH THE ASSOCD BACK

EDGE OF THE PCPN SHIELD LIFTG NEWD FASTER. 12Z EC JUST ARRIVED AND

HAS LIFTED THE AREA OF PCPN NEWD. MSTR IS SOMEWHAT LIMITED WITH

THIS SYS...BUT THERE IS A PLUME OF DEEPER ATLC/TRPCL MSTR LIFTG

NWD ALNG THE SERN U.S. CST THAT SHLD EVENTUALLY GET DRAWN INTO THE

SYS LATER TNGT/WED. MDLS SHOW STG UPR JET DYNAMICS DVLPG LATER

THIS EVE OVR THE MID ATLC THAT QUICKLY LIFTS NEWD ON WED. IMPRVS

UPR LVL DVRG/DIFL/HGT FALLS AND ASSOCD DEEP LYRD ASCENT THAT WL

RESULT IN RAPID PCPN DVLPMENT LATER THIS EVE ALNG THE MID ATLC CST

THAT WL EXPAND INTO SRN NEW ENG AND ALNG THE NEW ENG CST ON WED.

VRY STG WAA/ISENTROPIC LIFT IS ALRDY UNDERWAY OVR THE MID ATLC

REGION AND WL CONT TO INTENSIFY INTO TNGT AS THE SFC/8H LOW BEGINS

TO DVLP WITH A SRLY LLJ PROVIDG STGR MSTR FLUX/WAA INTO THE

REGION. MANUAL QPF LEANED ON THE GLOBAL GUID...BUT DID PULL SOME

HVIER PCPN WWD ASSOCD WITH THE STGR E/NE FLOW THAT WL SUPPORT

UPSLOPE ALNG THE N/S ELEVS. MOST GUID...INCLUDING ALL THE

SREF/GEFS/EC ENSEMBLES...ARE SHOWG SUPPORT FOR A BROAD REGION OF

ONE INCH LIQ ACRS SERN NEW ENG WITH LGTR AMTS WWD INTO THE OH VLY

AND GRT LKS. DVLPG NRLY FLOW OVR THE GRT LKS WL SUPPORT LK EFFECT

SNOWS TO THE S OF THE GRT LKS...WITH SOME UPSLOPE ALNG THE WRN

SLOPES OF THE APLCHNS CONTRIBUTING TO LCLLY HVIER ACCUMS.

So far, this has been a strange La Nina this season; anyway, looking briefly at the models We could have two more systems next week one around Tue and the other maybe Fri.

I'm getting too old for this!

Another congrats to the ENY'ers!!! Andy has this covered in spades. NAM (with the final votes to be counted) looks to have basically nailed this storm from a day and a half ago, beating every other model out there. Kind of a rarity!!!

I bet ALY goes over 10" in a hurry!!! :snowman: :snowman:

Thank you George. Yes it is a rarity for the NAM but once in awhile it is good and it was good on the Fri-Sat system, too. And I agree Albany looks good for 10" easy.

BTW- Cuedos to Tornado Girl on an earlier post in this thread where she mentioned watch for things to start "earlier". Tip of the cap to you.

Here is the 12z 4Km WRF output. 24 hour total QPF for 12z Tomorrow and for the next 24 our period. Add them up for storm total QPF. It has shifted things a tick east vs. its zero runs but it too has been decent to good as of late, too.

I'm going to sign-off now. I have to head down south to get my daughter from her basketball practice then when I come back home its a very early bed-time for me. We're starting NEWS10 in the AM @ 430. (If anyone cares we'll also be streaming the AM on-line too; just go to our website).

A long day has been planned for me by the hype-meister media machine. I have to be in by 2AM the latest.

Night All, sweet dreams of dendrites!

AG

BTW- Cuedos to Tornado Girl on an earlier post in this thread where she mentioned watch for things to start "earlier". Tip of the cap to you.

Here is the 12z 4Km WRF output. 24 hour total QPF for 12z Tomorrow and for the next 24 our period. Add them up for storm total QPF. It has shifted things a tick east vs. its zero runs but it too has been decent to good as of late, too.

I'm going to sign-off now. I have to head down south to get my daughter from her basketball practice then when I come back home its a very early bed-time for me. We're starting NEWS10 in the AM @ 430. (If anyone cares we'll also be streaming the AM on-line too; just go to our website).

A long day has been planned for me by the hype-meister media machine. I have to be in by 2AM the latest.

AG

Dealing with the Hype-meister will be worse than the storm...it will make it a very long day :whistle:

AG

Nice job Andy! I'll pull up the stream from over here in "scrap-land" and watch the excitement (and beads of sweat) show on your face!! :thumbsup::snowman:

NWS in ALB

BUT SOME TRENDS TOWARD

20 TO 1 POSSIBLE NORTH AND WEST OF THE CAPITAL DISTRICT

THE HIGH SNOW RATIOS ALSO CONTRIBUTING TO THE ADVISORY LEVEL SNOWS IN THE WESTERN MOHAWK VALLEY AND SOUTHERN ADIRONDACKS TO GFL AREA. PLUMES AND PROBABILITIES FOR VARIOUS QPF SUPPORT TOTAL SNOWS AROUND WARNING LEVELS.

Archived