joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11th-12th Snow threat is REAL

Wx4cast

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This storm is making for interesting forecasting. As you can see from the 18z GFS and NAM runs I posted earlier you can see that the GFS holds on to the primary for quite awhile. You can also see the NAM likes the storm a lot more then the GFS does. The NAM shows a much stronger low offshore. Timing is going to be the major key to How much snow we see. If the primary is slow to transfer energy it make the coastal weak. Like I said, The Key is going to be the timing and how fast the transfer happens.

nam_300_060l.gif

Isentropic lifting is also something this has to be watched. We could see snow earlier than we think.

Nice write-up from BUF on the system this week. Hopefully this holds serve and all/most of upstate NY can reach at least advisory level snow.

ON TUESDAY OUR ATTENTION TURNS TO THE SYNOPTIC SCALE...WHICH HAS

BEEN A RARITY SO FAR THIS WINTER. MOISTURE CHANNEL IMAGERY THIS

AFTERNOON SHOWS A COMPLEX MID LEVEL CLOSED LOW CENTERED OVER THE

NORTHERN ROCKIES. A SHORTWAVE ROTATING AROUND THE BASE OF THIS

FEATURE WILL SPAWN SURFACE CYCLOGENESIS OVER THE SOUTHERN PLAINS ON

MONDAY. 12Z MODEL GUIDANCE REMAINS IN EXCELLENT AGREEMENT WITH THE

SUBSEQUENT TIMING AND AMPLITUDE OF THIS SYSTEM. THE PRIMARY SURFACELOW WILL TRACK INTO THE UPPER OHIO VALLEY TUESDAY NIGHT...WHILESECONDARY COASTAL CYCLOGENESIS OFFSHORE OF THE CAROLINAS WILL MOVE

NORTH ALONG THE EASTERN SEABOARD AND ABSORB THE PRIMARY LOW BY

WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. AS THIS OCCURS...AN INVERTED TROUGH WILL HANG

BACK ACROSS THE LOWER LAKES AND CONTINUE TO PROVIDE A LOW LEVEL

FOCUS FOR CONTINUED LIGHT SNOW. PAST FEW MODEL RUNS HAVE TRENDED A

LITTLE STRONGER WITH THE PRIMARY OHIO VALLEY LOW...AND MORE

IMPORTANTLY STRONGER WITH THE ASSOCIATED MID LEVEL CLOSED

LOW...WHICH IS FORECAST TO MOVE EAST ACROSS PENNSYLVANIA TUESDAY

NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY WHILE STEADILY DEEPENING.

FORECAST BUFKIT PROFILES SHOW A VERY DEEP LAYER OF FAVORABLE

TEMPS/MOISTURE FOR DENDRITIC CRYSTAL GROWTH...ESPECIALLY ON

WEDNESDAY DURING THE WRAP AROUND PHASE OF THE STORM SUGGESTING

RELATIVELY HIGH SNOW/WATER RATIOS BY SYNOPTIC SNOW STANDARDS.

SREF PLUME ANALYSIS FROM SELECTED POINTS ACROSS THE CWA SHOW

EXCELLENT AGREEMENT AMONGST ENSEMBLE MEMBERS WITH A TIGHT CLUSTERING

OF TIMING AND QPF...WITH SREF MEAN SUGGESTING QPF ON THE ORDER OF

0.30-0.40 INCHES FOR THIS EVENT FROM LATE TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH

WEDNESDAY. MODEL QPF IS TYPICALLY A LITTLE HIGH WITH THESE TYPES OF

SYSTEMS...BUT EVEN SHAVING A LITTLE QPF OFF THE TOP SUGGESTS GOOD

POTENTIAL FOR ADVISORY CRITERIA ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS MOST OF THE

AREA FROM THE SOUTH SHORE OF LAKE ONTARIO TO THE PENNSYLVANIA STATE

LINE.

LOOKING AT THE FORECAST DETAILS...GIVEN THE EXCELLENT MODEL

AGREEMENT HAVE RAISED POPS TO CATEGORICAL FOR LATER TUESDAY

AFTERNOON NEAR THE PA STATE LINE...THEN EVERYWHERE EXCEPT THE SAINT

LAWRENCE VALLEY FOR TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY. AT THIS TIME IT

LOOKS LIKE A SOLID 3-5 OR 4-6 INCH TYPE EVENT FOR MOST OF THE CWA

FROM THE SOUTH SHORE OF LAKE ONTARIO SOUTHWARD. WEDNESDAY NIGHT THE

SYNOPTIC MOISTURE WILL BEGIN TO PULL AWAY AS THE COASTAL LOW MOVES

INTO THE CANADIAN MARITIMES...BUT NORTHWEST FLOW WILL KEEP TYPICAL

UPSLOPE/LAKE ENHANCED LIGHT SNOW GOING ESPECIALLY SOUTHEAST OF LAKES

ERIE AND ONTARIO.

I have some issues with the low upper low deepening as it moves across WNY/WPA. Synoptic climatology would tend to favor this primary weakening and transferring its energy or redeveloping itself off to the SE (lee side) of the Appalachians. With the C/O staying south of a CHI-CLE-BUF line the coastal low would tend to be far south on the coast SC/NC area probably. As I said earlier in another post. When this redevelopment towards the coast occurs the snowfall will tend to slacken considerably. While advisory snow is possible for WNY right now I am neither confident in it happening and even less confident in it being as widespread as the BUF write-up indicates.

This storm is making for interesting forecasting. As you can see from the 18z GFS and NAM runs I posted earlier you can see that the GFS holds on to the primary for quite awhile. You can also see the NAM likes the storm a lot more then the GFS does. The NAM shows a much stronger low offshore. Timing is going to be the major key to How much snow we see. If the primary is slow to transfer energy it make the coastal weak. Like I said, The Key is going to be the timing and how fast the transfer happens.

Isentropic lifting is also something this has to be watched. We could see snow earlier than we think.

All good and valid points. The transfer of energy to the coastal will be key. WINGRIDDS analysis (using(2ECC macro) indicates VA Capes/Delmarva favored area for the low to start to deepen. Just based on verbatim use of GFS LP and H5 500 hPa height fall center (HFC) tracks EPA/NJ up thru lower HV and WCT (S Berkshires, too) could really get hit hard.

I like your thought of Isentropic lift, too. These southern lows often have precip shileds of a few hundered miles to the north of their center's.

All good and valid points. The transfer of energy to the coastal will be key. WINGRIDDS analysis (using(2ECC macro) indicates VA Capes/Delmarva favored area for the low to start to deepen. Just based on verbatim use of GFS LP and H5 500 hPa height fall center (HFC) tracks EPA/NJ up thru lower HV and WCT (S Berkshires, too) could really get hit hard.

I like your thought of Isentropic lift, too. These southern lows often have precip shileds of a few hundered miles to the north of their center's.

Sounds like you've got me in the jackpot. :thumbsup:

I was looking at that same map and thinking hmm, a little earlier start further north due to lifting ... Whaddaya know, ~30 years of looking at weather maps and 12 or so years on these weather boards and I think I'm finally getting the hang of this stuff :guitar: Thanx for verifying my thoughts.

I've seen NAM over amplify or correct too many times to get sucked in too much, but will definitely get more excited if GFS and other globals follow suit. Wow, if this verified, my old stomping grounds in Western CT would get rocked a third time this winter...

NAM FTW!!!!!!![

I've seen NAM over amplify or correct too many times to get sucked in too much, but will definitely get more excited if GFS and other globals follow suit. Wow, if this verified, my old stomping grounds in Western CT would get rocked a third time this winter...

Agreed. This was definitely the case with the 12/26 event where the nam kept the system closer to the coast only to shift southeast in the last 24 hours.

Verbatium, the NAM would make just about everyone happy from ROC eastward....the lower qpf would be made up a bit with higher ratios and lake enhancement/ and post LES for the Thruway.

Andy, your points are valid wrt the primary not making it as far north, and the collapsing of the precip field. as tonight's NAM hints/shows. However, in this case, the UL's are quite unique in the "normal" transfer process, as we have a developing closed h500 feature in tandem with the primary, which MAY keep it energetic long enough to keep an extended trough back to the decaying system, delaying the ultimate collapse of all associated lift toward the coast.

Let's hope for a major shift in the globals!!!!

The NAM has the srefs, but I would think at least one of the globals would start to pull west (further inside the SNE benchmark) by now if NAM had the right idea. I'll see what the euro shows tomorrow, I won't be up for it tonight :)

The model wars continue. Let's see who winds this round.....GFS vs. NAM. I guessing a compromise, but closer to the NAM. The GFS seems to be overshearing systems in the STJ this year and the NAM is probably getting overexcited....but I hope not.:wacko:

Because of the blocking in Canada; When the primary gets over the Ohio Valley it should weaken and transfer its energy to the Coastal low. The low should begin its rapid intensification Tuesday night. As the low intensifies I think it will throw a strong cold conveyor belt (CCB) over Northeast PA, NJ and SE NY. which could greatly increase snow totals in those areas. Like I said before, timing of this transfer of energy is the Key; I hope the 6z and 12z runs give a better clue as to the timing of the energy handoff. I'm going over the GGEM now and I think I will stay up for the Euro 12z and see what it has to say. The Track and strength of the coastal is still up in the air; but we should have a good feel by the 18z GFS and NAM model runs tomorrow.

Because of the blocking in Canada; When the primary gets over the Ohio Valley it should weaken and transfer its energy to the Coastal low. The low should begin its rapid intensification Tuesday night. As the low intensifies I think it will throw a strong cold conveyor belt (CCB) over Northeast PA, NJ and SE NY. which could greatly increase snow totals in those areas. Like I said before, timing of this transfer of energy is the Key; I hope the 6z and 12z runs give a better clue as to the timing of the energy handoff. I'm going over the GGEM now and I think I will stay up for the Euro 12z and see what it has to say. The Track and strength of the coastal is still up in the air; but we should have a good feel by the 18z GFS and NAM model runs tomorrow.

Its looking like a more offshore track consensus is forming.. that is unless the 00z EC comes in anything like the nam which i'm sure it wont. Like you said by tomorrow evening we can concentrate on details.

Quote from kbgm aft afd..

BULK OF SNOW WILL FALL TUESDAY

NIGHT WITH MORE ACCUMS LIKELY ON WEDNESDAY AS SNOW SHOWERS

CONTINUE ON BACK SIDE OF SYSTEM IN WRAP AROUND MOISTURE. FOR NOW

IS LOOKS TO BE AN ADVISORY STORM FOR THE AREA WITH 3 TO 6 INCHES

LIKELY ACROSS MOST AREAS. POINTS EAST, CLOSER TO THE DEEPENING

COASTAL MAY REACH WARNING CRITERIA. WILL CONTINUE MENTION IN HWO

Verbatium, the NAM would make just about everyone happy from ROC eastward....the lower qpf would be made up a bit with higher ratios and lake enhancement/ and post LES for the Thruway.

Andy, your points are valid wrt the primary not making it as far north, and the collapsing of the precip field. as tonight's NAM hints/shows. However, in this case, the UL's are quite unique in the "normal" transfer process, as we have a developing closed h500 feature in tandem with the primary, which MAY keep it energetic long enough to keep an extended trough back to the decaying system, delaying the ultimate collapse of all associated lift toward the coast.

You could be right George but looking at the forecast vort fields on both the NAM & GFS become "peanut"-elliptically shaped. past experience with this kind of look to the vort (and for that matter the U/A low going elliptical too for a while) often results in both a sharp cut-off between accumulating areas of snow and non-accumulating areas.

Any ideas on the track? The last two models posted looks like it goes north to about Lake Placid? Over to 'Cuse? I am just looking at different things. I know it is probably wrong I am looking at what the models are putting out and what the pro's are calling and finding the difference is all.

The coastal will probably track near CC. Other than that too early for anything more specific then that.

nam shows the wind to be northerly for a while on Wednesday,hopefully we get some enhancement from Ontario :weight_lift:

Dendritic growth Looks good over southern HV with H85 thermals below -6C. You should have snow ratios of 15:1. Andy said, that the best UVM and moisture will just miss Albany :(

For now..SREFs are a bit closer to ALB on the 09Z; they're trending back a bit west again.8z SREFs will be more telling I think.

Last year the MA, this year SNE...I hope next year is ours.

This storm isn't a miss by any stretch of the imagination for ENY. Don't give up on a bit more of W or NW adjustment just yet!

Here are some of my preliminary (first call numbers) for a few locations:

Along and north of the Thruway to Gloversville (including Tornado Girl and Friends ) and from Gloversville to north of Saratoga Springs (West Mtn and FEFD area) onto RUT: 2-5 inches.

South of I-90 to the S'rn Tier east to Otsego, Delaware, Schoharie, Montgomery, Schenectady,NW Greene and Western Albany County (Logan's home): 3-6".

Rest of County Albany-Saratoga County to SVT: 5-9"

Eastern Green county and Eastern Ulster County County to Columbia County and Berkshire County: 9-15 with 12" + most probably from along and south of a SWF-Copake-Great Barrington Line. Could see 12-15 inches around POU to the Litchfield Hills.

Colleagues and I using a blend of EC/GEFS/SREF to come up with this snowfall.

Again first call subject to change as always.

Map to follow a bit later this afternoon.

Archived