• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11th-12th Snow threat is REAL

Wx4cast

Wow, big dog storm! Awesome if a record was broken.....too bad it wasn't IMBY.:)

The NWS in Albany is going out tomorrow to Berkshire County to try and talk with the various weather spotters who report to them, my station WTEN and WRGB. They want to see where and how often the observations were made. (Basically were they taken correctly). I was informed by the MIC (Ray O'Keefe) that there might be a 24 hour Historical record for Massachusetts at stake. But in order to certify a record it has to be thoroughly investigated.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well they certainly won't find 40" on the ground any longer - that must have been extreme fluff and will have settled a fair amount. The key here is 24 hour record I guess as the Blizzard of 1888 was greater, but over a longer duration.

I was thinking about that and I'm pretty sure in 1888 they didn't go by the six hour measurements rule. When places like Albany had four feet.....that was really the depth on the ground. Maybe we'd have to add a foot to the historic record in order to compensate for today's measuring techniques.

BTW the 46 inches here last February was dense 8 or 9 to 1 snow on average. Even at the end of the several day event (s) we had 40" of true depth. Not to put down this storm in the Berkshires, but our cumulative total was a bit more impressive.

The NWS in Albany is going out tomorrow to Berkshire County to try and talk with the various weather spotters who report to them, my station WTEN and WRGB. They want to see where and how often the observations were made. (Basically were they taken correctly). I was informed by the MIC (Ray O'Keefe) that there might be a 24 hour Historical record for Massachusetts at stake. But in order to certify a record it has to be thoroughly investigated.

That had to be a HUGE dumping. The Berks' always get pounded and for a record that had to be awesome!!

5" of snow in Johnsburg from the clipper (mostly during the daylight hours yesterday).

About 2" here in Queensbury.

Nice pups:) My 12 yo Siberian Husky is asleep in the doorway right now... she LOVES the snow, but is feeling her age these days (we adopted her when she was 8.. can only imagine her as a pup!)

Archived