• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11th-12th Snow threat is REAL

Wx4cast

Just looked at 12 ECEN it looks to be quite a bit west of the OP run (which is also west) with the developing Miller A low.

GFS and UK are similar to each other and EC thru 72 hours then depart seaward with low.

However if I use my UK "Tuck" rule on lows moving EN-NE across the SEUS then I could easily and confidently adjust its low track beyond 72 hours NW of its forecast path towards what EC is showing.

Also using pattern-type analogs from forecast data from both UK and GFS adjustments NW to low track appear likely with these models.

Quick scan by me of GEFS 12z shows its farther east of EC and ECEN but looks west of its OP run....

It is a La Nina year...adjustments W and N often occur.

Lastly TG likes this storm....she's on a roll this winter so far....

And for me this far out (like yesterday's/today's event) I find it all of the following: enticing, intriguing, and interesting. It has my interest peaked.

:bike:

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i like the idea of splitting out synoptic storms threats into their own thread.....i think we should have kept using your storms thread for the last event instead of migrating back into the Discussion thread. not sure what others think though.

thanks for your thoughts as usual. i think the lower HV looks like a great spot for this one.

i think all of NY state along the thruway sees some snow. TG in a better spot than us up here, but i think the brunt stays S and E of her too.

i just wish heights on the East coast would rise quicker so that it be a true hugger, rather than moving ENE from the Cape. i think that southern lead wave along the gulf coast really screws that up by dampening heights initially.

still time to adjust i suppose.

i like the idea of splitting out synoptic storms threats into their own thread.....i think we should have kept using your storms thread for the last event instead of migrating back into the Discussion thread. not sure what others think though.

thanks for your thoughts as usual. i think the lower HV looks like a great spot for this one.

i think all of NY state along the thruway sees some snow. TG in a better spot than us up here, but i think the brunt stays S and E of her too.

i just wish heights on the East coast would rise quicker so that it be a true hugger, rather than moving ENE from the Cape. i think that southern lead wave along the gulf coast really screws that up by dampening heights initially.

still time to adjust i suppose.

Something to ponder, hard to gauge: more extensive snow pack across NEUS and parts of (SE) Canada. LL are colder now, air more dense, more HP. NAM time perhaps as event draws near.

BTW- I agree with you threats should have their own thread. Nothing worse then getting a mixed jumble of posts about LES, whiners, tools posting "Alice in Wonderland" GFS day 10+ weenie storms and an ongoing event all in one thread.

BTW- You're welcome ( for posting my thoughts). Wish I had more time to post here more often.

Big westward adjustment from the 12z:

gfs_slp_084s.gif

Agree much with what Andy said. The h500 doesn't "appear" to be a great setup....but it has MUCH potential to radically amplify more with the relatively flat height field to it's north as it traverses across the OV.

I'm always leery of the models forecasting H5 features lagging way west (> 10 degrees longitude) of where they're forecast ing surface cyclogenesis to be.

We are starting to get into the <5 day period (of onset) now. GFS will start to "grasp" things.

I'm always leery of the models forecasting H5 features lagging way west (> 10 degrees longitude) of where they're forecast ing surface cyclogenesis to be.

We are starting to get into the <5 day period (of onset) now. GFS will start to "grasp" things.

One question (if verification is indeed a coastal hugger) is why has the NOGAPS "grasped" this better than the GFS??? What part of this pattern does the GFS have such a problem, where the inferior NOGAPS is not? Or maybe it's not that simple.

This would be a tremendous win for ensemble modeling ...for the SREF's, GGEM, GFS, and Euro siblings all would have sniffed this out....again, pending verification...

I like the title :thumbsup:

I figured you would! :lol:

One question (if verification is indeed a coastal hugger) is why has the NOGAPS "grasped" this better than the GFS??? What part of this pattern does the GFS have such a problem, where the inferior NOGAPS is not? Or maybe it's not that simple.

This would be a tremendous win for ensemble modeling ...for the SREF's, GGEM, GFS, and Euro siblings all would have sniffed this out....again, pending verification...

I really don't know George. It may truly be a case of not being that simple. It may be a case of GFS and its truncation issues perhaps?

I do know from my days as a marine met and shiprouter the "GAPS" was actually pretty good on lows and LP development in southern lats (South of 30N) pretty decent with TC's too. Now I know that this model has undergone some improvements (IMO for the worse, since my marine met days) but who knows. I don't claim to.

TBH, again IMO, I think the ECEN and GEFS have been awesome this year. Again IMO better than their OP counterparts, especially in the +60-72 hour period. I'll also add that while I am not a big NAM fan I think it has gained my respect over the past few months especially within 48 hours of an event. Aside from its being a bit slow in starting and stopping an "event" its been pretty good inside of 48 hours.

OKX put out an HWO. They must have looked at the 18z runs.:whistle:

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

436 PM EST SAT JAN 8 2011

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR SOUTHERN

CONNECTICUT...NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHEAST NEW YORK.

.DAY ONE...TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SUNDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.

CONFIDENCE IS INCREASING IN A SIGNIFICANT TO POSSIBLY VERY SIGNIFICANT

WINTER STORM FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY...WITH A

COASTAL LOW FORECAST TO LIKELY TRACK NEAR THE 40 NORTH/70 WEST

BENCHMARK LATE TUESDAY NIGHT. THERE IS ALSO SOME POTENTIAL FOR

STRONG GUSTY WINDS LATE TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY

MORNING...ESPECIALLY OVER LONG ISLAND AND SOUTHERN

CONNECTICUT...WHICH WOULD CAUSE THE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW.

CONFIDENCE IS LOWER IN THE STRONG GUSTY WINDS...THEN IN THE

LIKELIHOOD OF SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL.

THERE IS STILL SOME UNCERTAINTY IN THE EXACT TRACK AND TIMING OF

THIS STORM...AND EVEN MORE UNCERTAINTY IN THE STRENGTH OF THE

STORM. EVEN WITH THIS UNCERTAINTY...THERE IS GROWING CONFIDENCE

THAT A SIGNIFICANT SNOW STORM LIKELY WILL IMPACT SOUTHEASTERN

NEW YORK...SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT AND NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY FROM LATE

TUESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY. CONFIDENCE IS HIGHER IN THE EVENT EAST OF

THE NEW YORK CITY METRO AREA...AND LOWER NORTHWEST OF THE NEW YORK

CITY METRO AREA AT THIS TIME.

OKX put out an HWO. They must have looked at the 18z runs.:whistle:

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR SOUTHERN

CONNECTICUT...NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHEAST NEW YORK.

.DAY ONE...TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SUNDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.

CONFIDENCE IS INCREASING IN A SIGNIFICANT TO POSSIBLY VERY SIGNIFICANT

WINTER STORM FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY...WITH A

COASTAL LOW FORECAST TO LIKELY TRACK NEAR THE 40 NORTH/70 WEST

BENCHMARK LATE TUESDAY NIGHT. THERE IS ALSO SOME POTENTIAL FOR

STRONG GUSTY WINDS LATE TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY

MORNING...ESPECIALLY OVER LONG ISLAND AND SOUTHERN

CONNECTICUT...WHICH WOULD CAUSE THE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW.

CONFIDENCE IS LOWER IN THE STRONG GUSTY WINDS...THEN IN THE

LIKELIHOOD OF SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL.

THERE IS STILL SOME UNCERTAINTY IN THE EXACT TRACK AND TIMING OF

THIS STORM...AND EVEN MORE UNCERTAINTY IN THE STRENGTH OF THE

STORM. EVEN WITH THIS UNCERTAINTY...THERE IS GROWING CONFIDENCE

THAT A SIGNIFICANT SNOW STORM LIKELY WILL IMPACT SOUTHEASTERN

NEW YORK...SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT AND NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY FROM LATE

TUESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY. CONFIDENCE IS HIGHER IN THE EVENT EAST OF

THE NEW YORK CITY METRO AREA...AND LOWER NORTHWEST OF THE NEW YORK

CITY METRO AREA AT THIS TIME.

Sounds very good.

The GFS has trended West almost 200 miles today...But it shows the phasing coming in to late to be of any good..It's too early to worry. The models won't have a good feel for this until most likely Monday. I think we will see phasing start when the storm gets up around Virginia. I do think this will be a major storm bringing someone a lot of snow. We will just have to wait 36-40 hours before we know who that will be.

Well after a quick perusal of 00z and 06z OP models...EC, UK, NAM and GFS game on for at least a moderate snowfall for CNY and ENY, especially for all areas along and south of I 90. This said upper HV and S'rn Dacks may be in the game too depending on how the coastal low evolves and ultimately tracks.

The track and evolution of the H 7 and H850 lows will also be critical too. I'll talk more about this later today. I have to head out now but I'll be back...

Well after a quick perusal of 00z and 06z OP models...EC, UK, NAM and GFS game on for at least a moderate snowfall for CNY and ENY, especially for all areas along and south of I 90. This said upper HV and S'rn Dacks may be in the game too depending on how the coastal low evolves and ultimately tracks.

The track and evolution of the H 7 and H850 lows will also be critical too. I'll talk more about this later today. I have to head out now but I'll be back...

I agree...It to early to talk amounts..That said, Right now south of ALB and parts of Southern Vermount, look to see at least 8 inches of snow. If this comes together like I think it will. We could see Lake Champlain do a rare LES event into Nothern Vermount. The models should have a good handle on this in 24 hours...Right now they are trying to play catch up.

A few musings on the upcoming storm:

06z GEFS close to00z- ECEM with low near the New England BM.

12Z NAM still west IF it were to verify that track would place most of ENY and WNE in the maximum QPF.

12z GFS appears close to both last night's 00z EC and the ECEM.

To me mixed signals on amount of QPF: Low's origin should favor mod-heavy "liquid" but SREFs (grant it we are still a bit out of the SREFS "wheelhouse") are rather paltry on amts > 3/10ths of an inch. (Speaking of the SREFS the 03 cycle had a very favorable LP track for ENY near Block Island). GEFS anomaly data for 850 winds however are AOA 2.5 with strong SE flow yet PWATS on Tuesday at 1000 mbs are only around +1 to +2 with the greatest anomalies AOA +2 off the SNE coast perhaps grazing the CC and ACK.

Another feature to watch on this storm is the Mid-level C/O low that the models have tracking across IL-IN-OH-WNY. As this feature moves ene along the above track it will fill as it moves across the Alleghenies a NEW C/O will form near where the 2ndary or coastal wave will be tracking. During this time period of weakening of the initial C/O to the redevelopment of the new C/O low closer to the coastal low, the precip will likely either lighten up considerably or perhaps even stop in some areas for a while (especially across areas west of I81). Thus WNY may get only borderline moderate snow amounts circa 6" BUT it could be less.

For now I am leaning toward a blend of the SREF/ECEM/GEFS on the track of the LP which would place the LP just west of the 40N70W BM. I would think that along a line from Ulster County Eastern eastern Schoharie in the Catskills north to about Saratoga Springs then on to S. VT has a high chance 70% of 7" of snow with about a 25% chance for a heavy snow (12"+)

Areas to the north and west of this line have a 50% of getting up to 7" of snow. Again these are but preliminary impacts on my part and are not a forecast per se. I don't think any solid numbers should be made until at least Monday evening at the earliest.

More later after I digest the 12z EC and ECEM.

A few musings on the upcoming storm:

06z GEFS close to00z- ECEM with low near the New England BM.

12Z NAM still west IF it were to verify that track would place most of ENY and WNE in the maximum QPF.

12z GFS appears close to both last night's 00z EC and the ECEM.

To me mixed signals on amount of QPF: Low's origin should favor mod-heavy "liquid" but SREFs (grant it we are still a bit out of the SREFS "wheelhouse") are rather paltry on amts > 3/10ths of an inch. (Speaking of the SREFS the 03 cycle had a very favorable LP track for ENY near Block Island). GEFS anomaly data for 850 winds however are AOA 2.5 with strong SE flow yet PWATS on Tuesday at 1000 mbs are only around +1 to +2 with the greatest anomalies AOA +2 off the SNE coast perhaps grazing the CC and ACK.

Another feature to watch on this storm is the Mid-level C/O low that the models have tracking across IL-IN-OH-WNY. As this feature moves ene along the above track it will fill as it moves across the Alleghenies a NEW C/O will form near where the 2ndary or coastal wave will be tracking. During this time period of weakening of the initial C/O to the redevelopment of the new C/O low closer to the coastal low, the precip will likely either lighten up considerably or perhaps even stop in some areas for a while (especially across areas west of I81). Thus WNY may get only borderline moderate snow amounts circa 6" BUT it could be less.

For now I am leaning toward a blend of the SREF/ECEM/GEFS on the track of the LP which would place the LP just west of the 40N70W BM. I would think that along a line from Ulster County Eastern eastern Schoharie in the Catskills north to about Saratoga Springs then on to S. VT has a high chance 70% of 7" of snow with about a 25% chance for a heavy snow (12"+)

Areas to the north and west of this line have a 50% of getting up to 7" of snow. Again these are but preliminary impacts on my part and are not a forecast per se. I don't think any solid numbers should be made until at least Monday evening at the earliest.

More later after I digest the 12z EC and ECEM.

sounds reasonble,

storm looks to be a nonevent up here and along the international border.

Nice write-up from BUF on the system this week. Hopefully this holds serve and all/most of upstate NY can reach at least advisory level snow.

ON TUESDAY OUR ATTENTION TURNS TO THE SYNOPTIC SCALE...WHICH HAS

BEEN A RARITY SO FAR THIS WINTER. MOISTURE CHANNEL IMAGERY THIS

AFTERNOON SHOWS A COMPLEX MID LEVEL CLOSED LOW CENTERED OVER THE

NORTHERN ROCKIES. A SHORTWAVE ROTATING AROUND THE BASE OF THIS

FEATURE WILL SPAWN SURFACE CYCLOGENESIS OVER THE SOUTHERN PLAINS ON

MONDAY. 12Z MODEL GUIDANCE REMAINS IN EXCELLENT AGREEMENT WITH THE

SUBSEQUENT TIMING AND AMPLITUDE OF THIS SYSTEM. THE PRIMARY SURFACELOW WILL TRACK INTO THE UPPER OHIO VALLEY TUESDAY NIGHT...WHILESECONDARY COASTAL CYCLOGENESIS OFFSHORE OF THE CAROLINAS WILL MOVE

NORTH ALONG THE EASTERN SEABOARD AND ABSORB THE PRIMARY LOW BY

WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. AS THIS OCCURS...AN INVERTED TROUGH WILL HANG

BACK ACROSS THE LOWER LAKES AND CONTINUE TO PROVIDE A LOW LEVEL

FOCUS FOR CONTINUED LIGHT SNOW. PAST FEW MODEL RUNS HAVE TRENDED A

LITTLE STRONGER WITH THE PRIMARY OHIO VALLEY LOW...AND MORE

IMPORTANTLY STRONGER WITH THE ASSOCIATED MID LEVEL CLOSED

LOW...WHICH IS FORECAST TO MOVE EAST ACROSS PENNSYLVANIA TUESDAY

NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY WHILE STEADILY DEEPENING.

FORECAST BUFKIT PROFILES SHOW A VERY DEEP LAYER OF FAVORABLE

TEMPS/MOISTURE FOR DENDRITIC CRYSTAL GROWTH...ESPECIALLY ON

WEDNESDAY DURING THE WRAP AROUND PHASE OF THE STORM SUGGESTING

RELATIVELY HIGH SNOW/WATER RATIOS BY SYNOPTIC SNOW STANDARDS.

SREF PLUME ANALYSIS FROM SELECTED POINTS ACROSS THE CWA SHOW

EXCELLENT AGREEMENT AMONGST ENSEMBLE MEMBERS WITH A TIGHT CLUSTERING

OF TIMING AND QPF...WITH SREF MEAN SUGGESTING QPF ON THE ORDER OF

0.30-0.40 INCHES FOR THIS EVENT FROM LATE TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH

WEDNESDAY. MODEL QPF IS TYPICALLY A LITTLE HIGH WITH THESE TYPES OF

SYSTEMS...BUT EVEN SHAVING A LITTLE QPF OFF THE TOP SUGGESTS GOOD

POTENTIAL FOR ADVISORY CRITERIA ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS MOST OF THE

AREA FROM THE SOUTH SHORE OF LAKE ONTARIO TO THE PENNSYLVANIA STATE

LINE.

LOOKING AT THE FORECAST DETAILS...GIVEN THE EXCELLENT MODEL

AGREEMENT HAVE RAISED POPS TO CATEGORICAL FOR LATER TUESDAY

AFTERNOON NEAR THE PA STATE LINE...THEN EVERYWHERE EXCEPT THE SAINT