e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January 2011 Part 2

MotoWeatherman

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally never made it past 29. GSO recorded a high of 30 and INT had 28. Two days in a row without going above freezing seeing as how my high was 31 yesterday. Looking at the records INT hasnt been above 28 in over 48 hours.

Yeah its been cold here in the Triad. I had no melting today, which is going to make for another tricky traveling day..again.

I hit 33 today. Freezing fog sure would be interesting :arrowhead:

I made it to 31, the Shelby airport hit 30, CLT 31, GSP 32. Tomorrow likely to be subfreezing all 4 of those sites, but will be close. Very strong CAA. In fact , probably the next 2 days will be subreezing all sites. If that happens, I'll be below freezing from Sunday evening until Friday afternoon sometime. Close to 120 hours below freezing.

GSP has the high at 36 tomorrow :)

Battle on...

I made it to 31, the Shelby airport hit 30, CLT 31, GSP 32. Tomorrow likely to be subfreezing all 4 of those sites, but will be close. Very strong CAA. In fact , probably the next 2 days will be subreezing all sites. If that happens, I'll be below freezing from Sunday evening until Friday afternoon sometime. Close to 120 hours below freezing.

GSP has the high at 36 tomorrow :)

Battle on...

no sweat :arrowhead: I've followed the GFS train for the previous 7 outbreaks similar to this one, and it hasn't failed me yet. I'm going by official numbers at CLT and EHO. Shelby went below 32 at 5PM Sunday, and I don' t think we'll hit 32 again until Friday afternoon shortly after lunchtime....close to 120 hours subfreezing. But, it will be extremely close.

no sweat :arrowhead: I've followed the GFS train for the previous 7 outbreaks similar to this one, and it hasn't failed me yet. I'm going by official numbers at CLT and EHO. Shelby went below 32 at 5PM Sunday, and I don' t think we'll hit 32 again until Friday afternoon shortly after lunchtime....close to 120 hours subfreezing. But, it will be extremely close.

Seems even as a kid they could never forecast the temps right after a good snow. That snow pack does wonders to keep the temps down.

Yep. The GFS has my high at 29 tomorrow :)

School is closed tomorrow here in the county.

Seems even as a kid they could never forecast the temps right after a good snow. That snow pack does wonders to keep the temps down.

Yep. The GFS has my high at 29 tomorrow :)

School is closed tomorrow here in the county.

You're a shoe in for 20's all day I think. We have -12 coming in and strong CAA all day, just like many other outbreaks this season, and last, but this time we have snow cover, so it wouldn't surprise me to see only mid 20's your area.

Hey Burger, I just got a text from a buddy with that pic from CNN. It says that 49 out of 50 states now have snow, with Florida being the holdout. If true this would be 2 years in a row that this has happened. It happened last year on Feb. 11 too. Not sure how often it happens though. Maybe someone on here will have more info on this and how often it has happened. Oh yea, Hawaii was the state with no snow last year. Thats pretty cool!

Euro has something around 180...verbatim probably too warm for much of the state though.

Yeah. Between 144-168, 850mb temperatures are somewhat above freezing. They cool a bit at the end of this time frame but it's not enough, and by the time this has happened, the low has wrapped up some to around 1000mb but is already leaving the NC coast I suppose this would have support from the fact that the track of the low was not favorable either on this run (a bit too far north).

Unusual late night update from FFC i missed earlier:

OTHERWISE...LATER SHIFTS WILL NEED TO MONITOR THREAT FOR A LIGHT

WINTER PCPN EVENT N GA...ESPECIALLY NEAR TN BORDER EARLY SAT AND

AGAIN EARLY MON. OVERALL...MORE ZONAL FLOW EXPECTED TO RESUME BY THE

WEEKEND WITH TEMPS RETURNING TO MORE SEASONAL LEVELS. ARCTIC AIR

REMAINS POOLED ACROSS THE N STATES INTO NEXT WEEK...HOWEVER...AND

MODELS CONTINUE TO FLIP/FLOP CONSIDERABLY ON THE SOUTHWARD EXTENT OF

THIS...WHICH WILL CERTAINLY PLAY HAVOC WITH THE EXTENDED FORECAST.

CONFIDENCE IN THE EXTENDED IS QUITE LOW AT THIS POINT.

:lmao:

6z GFS back to some of that fantasy stuff in the long, long range...

Might not be that much of a fantasy. The days 7 and beyond have support from the Euro, there's no doubt we're in for a cold January as well. No signs of a real warm up, for any length or strength, so we probably have 2 hard cord winter months Dec-Jan, and who knows how cold we'll be when the next wave of cold air drops in . A while back I thought the trough was going to develop out west and finally warm us up in the East, but that doesn't look likely now anytime soon with strong PNA ridging.

post-38-0-17053300-1294839759.gif

I know Im being Captain Obvious here, but if the GFS verified, we'd be experiencing Record Low Low's and Record Low High's. People would die, pipes would freeze, ect. Its cold enough that a lot of people don't want to even experience it. I've personally never experienced -8.8, but there's always a first time for everything.

Robert...I showed that chart in the video today. I see no signs of 'warm' anytime soon. January warm forecasts......bustola.

Might not be that much of a fantasy. The days 7 and beyond have support from the Euro, there's no doubt we're in for a cold January as well. No signs of a real warm up, for any length or strength, so we probably have 2 hard cord winter months Dec-Jan, and who knows how cold we'll be when the next wave of cold air drops in . A while back I thought the trough was going to develop out west and finally warm us up in the East, but that doesn't look likely now anytime soon with strong PNA ridging.

Robert...I showed that chart in the video today. I see no signs of 'warm' anytime soon. January warm forecasts......bustola.

You guys are talking my language this morning! We get so much heat during the spring/summer that I enjoy the cold and really cold for a couple of months during the winter. I know most on here love the snow but a lot do not like the sustained cold but to me I need it to help deal with the summer.

Both the Euro and GFS have been spitting out solutions showing extreme cold in the long range for weeks now but it gets delayed and delayed. If both are showing it that means the pattern is very close to actually allowing it to happen. We just need the right pieces to actually fall into place for it to happen. Will this go around finally allow it to do so? It's anyone's guess but I tend to believe it has a better chance to come true since we are entering in the coldest part of winter now climo wise.

Bring it on!

You guys are talking my language this morning! We get so much heat during the spring/summer that I enjoy the cold and really cold for a couple of months during the winter. I know most on here love the snow but a lot do not like the sustained cold but to me I need it to help deal with the summer.

Both the Euro and GFS have been spitting out solutions showing extreme cold in the long range for weeks now but it gets delayed and delayed. If both are showing it that means the pattern is very close to actually allowing it to happen. We just need the right pieces to actually fall into place for it to happen. Will this go around finally allow it to do so? It's anyone's guess but I tend to believe it has a better chance to come true since we are entering in the coldest part of winter now climo wise.

Bring it on!

Interesting read hear Amos:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/8714-models-moving-toward-pna-pattern/page__pid__280809#entry280809

Isn't this what we want here in the south? +PNA and a -NAO?

Interesting read hear Amos:

http://www.americanw...809#entry280809

Isn't this what we want here in the south? +PNA and a -NAO?

Sweet! +PNA Ridge is very good usually for the SE, really anyone in the East would want the PNA ridge to go positive if they like cold and snow. It's amazing to me how cold we have been without it so once/if it does setup lookout :snowman:

Archived