Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Atlantic Tropical Action 2010

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was reading Masters' blog and he seemed to think Alex, Earl, Igor and Tomas will all be retired. Personally I can't see Alex as Mexico is historically stingy when it comes to retiring names. Also damage from Alex was comparable to Emily in 2005 which was also not retired. In 50/50 on Karl for the same reason, although it probably should be retired. Igor is another toss up. Damage was a bit less than Juan (the only storm Canda has retired). I don't really have any ideas as far as benchmarks for retirement of storms that only affect the islands so don't have much of a clue on Tomas either.

Was reading Masters' blog and he seemed to think Alex, Earl, Igor and Tomas will all be retired. Personally I can't see Alex as Mexico is historically stingy when it comes to retiring names. Also damage from Alex was comparable to Emily in 2005 which was also not retired. In 50/50 on Karl for the same reason, although it probably should be retired. Igor is another toss up. Damage was a bit less than Juan (the only storm Canda has retired). I don't really have any ideas as far as benchmarks for retirement of storms that only affect the islands so don't have much of a clue on Tomas either.

Alex will be retired, I'm sure...and in no way damage from Emily was similar to Alex's... It left a scar in Monterrey with all the damage to infrastructure here...over a billion dollars. Karl will be retired also, I'm pretty sure of that.

The NHC's map of 2010 action, showing a handful of good, red-meat landfalls for MX and C America-- and lots of fish:

post-19-0-91597300-1291119190.jpg

Bonnie was a huge yawner and it is good to see this map exterminating Nicole @ the Cuba north coast. The only "development" :lol: from that nasty monsoon gyre ....

Please erase these two along with say a Fiona and Gaston and the map is cleaned up good.

Dr. Klotzbach and Dr. Gray think another active season is ahead in 2011...

Information obtained through November 2010 indicates that the 2011 Atlantic hurricane season has the potential to be quite active. We estimate that activity will remain well above average, approximately at levels that were experienced in the average of the years between 1995-2010 that did not have El Niño conditions. We expect to see approximately 17 named storms, 9 hurricanes and 5 major hurricanes occur during the 2011 hurricane season. These numbers are based on the average of our statistical model, our analog model and qualitative adjustments and insights. Although there is significant uncertainty at this long lead time, we believe that El Niño conditions are unlikely, given the current upper ocean heat content anomalies in the tropical Pacific. Because we are predicting an above-average hurricane season in 2011, the probability of U.S. and Caribbean major hurricane landfall is estimated to be above the long-period average. This forecast is based on an extended-range early December statistical prediction scheme that utilizes 58 years of past data. The influences of El Niño conditions are implicit in these predictor fields, and therefore we do not utilize a specific ENSO forecast as a predictor. We do not expect to see El Niño conditions reemerge in 2011. At this point, we are uncertain whether La Niña conditions or neutral conditions are more likely for the 2011 hurricane season. Sea surface temperatures in the far North Atlantic remain at record warm levels, indicating that the active phase of the thermohaline circulation and positive phase of the Atlantic Multi-Decadal Oscillation is expected to continue.

http://hurricane.atmos.colostate.edu/Forecasts/2010/dec2010/dec2010.pdf

The analogs are just a bit interesting...

A couple of observations about CSU's forecast--

1) Their statistical model is going crazy for next year. If you look at the timeseries they they have in their forecast, this is the highest forecast the model has ever provided (at least for NTC). I can't

recall many times when CSU chose to go lower than the stats model.

2) I would add second year neutral or La Nina years to the list that they have. 1956 was a third year, so I'd remove it. My first list would go with 1950, 1955, 1989, 1996, 1999 and 2008. In this case, sure is an active set of years.

3) Tropical Atlantic and the AMM remain at record high levels. With the negative NAO continuing, that should likely keep things warm for at least a month or so. But, I would expect the La Nina to generally cause stronger ridges as the winter progresses. Most of those analog years were just slightly warm (or even cooler than ave) by the time hurricane season came around-- this is consistent with CFS/ECMWF forecasts of a near-normal tropical Atlantic by hurricane season. If we get another crazy negative AO/NAO, it will be interesting to see the effects.

I generally concur to expect a busy year. Second year La Nina (or neutral) have tended to have slightly more US landfalls in the active era than first year events, so that could make 2011 better for the weenies :weight_lift:

• 2 weeks later...

502400main_20101126_2010Season-TRMM_full.jpg?t=1292870796

This image shows the tropical cyclone rainfall occurring in 2010. The tracks of tropical cyclones are shown with black lines. The highest tropical cyclone rainfall totals (between 28 and 32 inches or 71.1 to 81.2 centimeters) were located over the open waters of the Atlantic north of Puerto Rico. The largest rainfall totals appear in pink.

502396main_20101126_2005Season-TRMM_full.jpg?t=1292870739

This image shows the tropical cyclone rainfall occurring in 2005. The tracks of tropical cyclones are shown with black lines. The highest tropical cyclone rainfall totals (between 28 and 32 inches or 71.1 to 81.2 centimeters) were located over the Caribbean Sea, eastern Gulf of Mexico, western Cuba and over the waters in the Atlantic off the southeastern U.S. The largest rainfall totals appear in pink

BNT20 KNHC 202053TWOAT SPECIAL TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOKNWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL355 PM EST MON DEC 20 2010FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...A SMALL BUT WELL-DEFINED LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM LOCATED ABOUT 275 MILESEAST-SOUTHEAST OF BARBADOS IS PRODUCING SCATTERED SHOWERS OVER THESOUTHWESTERN TROPICAL ATLANTIC. ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS ARE NOTCONDUCIVE FOR DEVELOPMENT AT THIS TIME. HOWEVER...CONDITIONS COULDBECOME A LITTLE MORE FAVORABLE ON TUESDAY...RESULTING IN A BRIEFWINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY FOR SOME DEVELOPMENT AS THE LOW PASSES OVEROR NEAR THE SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL LESSER ANTILLES. THERE IS A MEDIUMCHANCE...30 PERCENT...OF THIS SYSTEM BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONEDURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVES TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST ORNORTH WEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH. REGARDLESS OF DEVELOPMENT...THIS SYSTEMWILL BRING LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL AND GUSTY WINDS TO MUCH OF THELESSER ANTILLES DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO. FUTURE SPECIAL TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOKS WILL BE ISSUED ASCONDITIONS WARRANT. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS SYSTEM CAN BEFOUND IN HIGH SEAS FORECASTS ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL WEATHERSERVICE...UNDER AWIPS HEADER NFDHSFAT1 AND WMO HEADER FZNT01 KWBC.ELSEWHERE...TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED DURING THENEXT 48 HOURS.$$FORECASTER STEWART/BRENNAN

Archived