• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Atlantic Tropical Action 2010

Masters has a great write up about the Gustav gust which the WMO verified. Attributed to both topographical and meso enhancement...

I linked it when we briefly talked about the Olivia gust.

Well. How kind of you to drop by.

I'd almost forgotten I had a chase partner on these here forums.

:P

P.S. I know the gust was WMO verified, but c'mon. I Google Mapped that location, and there's a small, shabby-looking town there. It should have been blasted off the face of the earth with winds like that. And, actually, what impresses me more than the gust is that whopping 135 kt (1-min)-- 10 mi inland, to boot! I mean, WTF is that?? :lol:

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Think of it this way....perhaps Major Hurricanes can produce isolated pockets of wind that can be slightly greater than the rest of the storm? Aren't those essentially what mesovoritices are (Maybe a met can help me out here)? Perhaps Gustav could have produced that reading, I do see why you are suspicious though.

^Think of it this way....perhaps Major Hurricanes can produce isolated pockets of wind that can be slightly greater than the rest of the storm? Aren't those essentially what mesovoritices are (Maybe a met can help me out here)? Perhaps Gustav could have produced that reading, I do see why you are suspicious though.

Yeah, I think that factor is at play here. And it brings up that age-old question: should these isolated pockets of extreme winds be "counted" as indicative of the cyclone's intensity?

In my Hurricane Celia reanalysis, I argue that they should-- that the swarm of microbursts in Celia's S eyewall were indicative of the cyclone's overall "vigor" and that it was possibly a Cat 4. But with Celia, 1) there was plenty of heavy structural damage to substantiate extreme winds and 2) a standard wind-pressure calculation (factoring in the cyclone's small size and rapid deepening) more than supports a Cat-4 wind estimate.

With Gustav, I haven't seen any evidence of such extreme winds at the surface (besides the actual reading), nor do normal wind-pressure calculations support winds that high (Cat-5 threshold).

Archived