• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
JAN. 6-9 LES Set up

Indystorm

Yes, it's usual for the band to swing back east again as the upper circulation eventually pulls away. Good luck to you in Muskegon. I've got some sunshine, bright blue skies, and glistening white snow of 9.5 inches on the ground here now.

Thanks, Indy. It's a beautiful snowfall, isn't it? What's your average snowfall there? Is it common for you to get heavy lake effect?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+SN continues. Over 5". This might be the biggest pure LES event I've ever seen.

Usually these pics don't do the snowfall rate justice, but this is pretty close. That's a tree by the way.

post-257-0-84814300-1294496639.jpg

Wow awesome pic! Thats probably how it was here at 5pm yesterday when I was at work. So you ended up with 5.7", is that pure LES or counting the clipper stuff? If so, how much on the ground. Already closing in on last years total I see..what did you get in 2009-10?

you're always keeping it real :thumbsup:

For sure! ) Hey, as much as I love snow, if all the signs REALLY point to a sucky winter or whatever, I will call it as I see it, and just hope I am dead wrong. Ive been saying all along, this will END UP as a good winter. Winter is not even nearly half over, so its too early to see if Im right or not...but my feelings have not changed.

Loved the pics guys. Want to see some from the bullseye in South Bend. Amazing lake effect there. Makes me so jealous, but in the end, as I said, this is about as good as lake effect gets around here. The total lake effect here Jan 6-8th was 3.8" snow (0.17" water) and at DTW it was 3.2" (with 0.15" water). Despite the sunshine and the fluffiness of the snow, we made out today with just a little settling. Took these pics this morning, fluffy snow just has that neat look. Its funny how all different types of snow are unique in their own way lol.

2546-800.jpg

2547-800.jpg

Thanks, Indy. It's a beautiful snowfall, isn't it? What's your average snowfall there? Is it common for you to get heavy lake effect?

Elkhart and South Bend each get around 71 inches of average snowfall a season. Yes, we are in the LES belt, but as always it depends on the direction of the wind and length of fetch.

Wow awesome pic! Thats probably how it was here at 5pm yesterday when I was at work. So you ended up with 5.7", is that pure LES or counting the clipper stuff? If so, how much on the ground. Already closing in on last years total I see..what did you get in 2009-10?

5.7" was pure LES. Makes it my biggest pure LES event of all time, beating the Dec 14, 2010 (yeah this winter as well, very weird) record of 4.5".

23.5" in 2009-2010. Don't have to worry about that.

Elkhart and South Bend each get around 71 inches of average snowfall a season. Yes, we are in the LES belt, but as always it depends on the direction of the wind and length of fetch.

With 36" on the ground and the band about ready swing back through, South Bend will have over half of their average annual snowfall with just this storm.

And that band continues to be intense. Look at this report.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA

834 PM EST SAT JAN 08 2011

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0810 PM SNOW KNOX 41.30N 86.63W

01/08/2011 M2.0 INCH STARKE IN EMERGENCY MNGR

2 INCHES IN LAST 30 MINUTES. ROADS SNOW COVERED AND

ACCIDENTS REPORTED

IWX continues the warning...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA

901 PM EST SAT JAN 8 2011

...PERIODS OF HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW CONTINUING OVER SOUTHWEST

LOWER MICHIGAN AND NORTH CENTRAL AND NORTHWEST INDIANA TONIGHT...

.A BAND OF HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS FROM EXTREME SOUTHWEST

LOWER MICHIGAN INTO NORTH CENTRAL INDIANA WILL SLOWLY SHIFT

EASTWARD OVERNIGHT. SNOWFALL RATES IN THIS BAND OF HEAVY LAKE

EFFECT SNOW OF 1 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR ARE EXPECTED. ADDITIONAL

ACCUMULATIONS OVERNIGHT ARE EXPECTED TO BE UP TO 6 INCHES WITH

LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS. STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 3 FEET

CAN BE EXPECTED IN THE WARNING AREA...HEAVIEST IN THE SOUTH BEND

AREA.

5.7" was pure LES. Makes it my biggest pure LES event of all time, beating the Dec 14, 2010 (yeah this winter as well, very weird) record of 4.5".

23.5" in 2009-2010. Don't have to worry about that.

Wow, cool. I never really keep track of les vs synoptic, because a lot of times we get lake enhanced shortwaves and stuff. As for PURE lake effect I dont think Ive ever seen a 4+ inch snowfall, probably 2-3". And yes, obviously last years total is toast for you. My lowest season total (since I began records in '95) was 27.2" in 1997-98, but that was in a very mild winter. Having such a low total in a winter thats not-so-mild has be salt in the wound, so Im happy things are changing for the better for you. (As I said all along, I knew it would, but at least Im getting some verification now lol ;))

Archived