Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Car gets destroyed by a snowplow in New York City

NickD2011

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

A snowplow got stuck and had to be towed. In the process of trying to free the snowplow, a poor defenseless SUV was hit multiple times by the snowplow driver, and the back bumper fell off. I think both the tow truck driver and the snowplow driver should be fired. If the person didn't record the destruction on film, the snowplow driver would not be accountable.

NYC has been hit by countless snowstorms, and I'm sure this is not the only time something like this happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt_r-jO3lKE&feature=player_embedded

A snowplow got stuck and had to be towed. In the process of trying to free the snowplow, a poor defenseless SUV was hit multiple times by the snowplow driver, and the back bumper fell off. I think both the tow truck driver and the snowplow driver should be fired. If the person didn't record the destruction on film, the snowplow driver would not be accountable.

NYC has been hit by countless snowstorms, and I'm sure this is not the only time something like this happened.

Those people are idiots, I smell a lawsuit, probably 2 as the SUV smashed into the car in front of it.

Happened to me in the 2/2006 storm. My car was parked on the street. There was a line where the plow had passed veering ever further away from the center of the street.... until it intersected with the front of my car. Absolutely nuked the front left corner of the car. Freakin' infuriating.

This sums up the City response to this storm - embarassing. I just dug out my car which had 4 feet of snow ontop of it - I look down to the part of my street which hasnt been plowed yet and there's an abondoned cop car in the middle of the street. This is ridiculous. What's more maddening is not how difficult the City cleanup effort is - I get that. What's maddening is the mayors icy cold response and saying "go to broadway shows the City is open for business - most stores are open." Come to Queens you idiot - most stores were closed today on Grand Avenue. Manhattan is open for business South of 96th Street - the rest of NYC is closed.

I heard Jewel Ave. hasn't been plowed as of 9PM tonight and Hyland Blvd. in Staten Island not yet plowed - those are main roadways. Complete lack of leadership by Bloomy on this one.

I almost wonder about the true story here.

City workers destroy a Ford Explorer trying to free a snowbound front-loader in Brooklyn Heights, New York after the storm of 2010. The crazy thing here....the vehicle WAS....wait for it....A NYC Dept of Buildings city owned vehicle. I went down, I know the owner, they are aware of the video and no police ever came. Hope that answers a lot of questions. Obviously some comments here in response are from the driver himself....read-on.

So wait...this has Mafia written all over it...:whistle:

-City Sanitary Commision (the plow/tow truck) (Union bosses anyone)

-City Dept of Buildings (Code inspectors?)

-Somewhat wealthier neighborhood (home range around 1 million to 7 million...depending on the view of Manhattan)

I wonder if an inspector did or didn't take a bribe his was suppose to...and a 'favor' was executed here with a good excuse built in.

The location is Joralemon St. & Hicks St. (Hicks is the cross street, plows on Joralemon) in the Brooklyn Heights 'hood of New York City.

BTW...I'm mostly joking here, but NYC does have a ton of corruption so you never know.

The city has insurance for this. This happens more times than you may think.

Granted I can't be everywhere, but covered a good number of storms within cities. Never seen anything close to this. I've seen no other YT videos of such either.

Funny as hell

Pardon me, I just got in from 36 hours of plowing with 3 hours of sleep. Chances are the guys trying to get that equipment out were going on less sleep than that. I am sure the was a parking ban in place, I did see cars on both sides of the street so it could be the cars weren't supose to be there in the first place. After hours upon hours of dealing with azzholes who part where they shouldn't or just get in the way I can see how this happened. They should have rolled right over the top of those cars lol. I bet the owner of that SUV was the first one who called about his street benn unplowed hehe. God I love it.

Funny as hell

Pardon me, I just got in from 36 hours of plowing with 3 hours of sleep. Chances are the guys trying to get that equipment out were going on less sleep than that. I am sure the was a parking ban in place, I did see cars on both sides of the street so it could be the cars weren't supose to be there in the first place. After hours upon hours of dealing with azzholes who part where they shouldn't or just get in the way I can see how this happened. They should have rolled right over the top of those cars lol. I bet the owner of that SUV was the first one who called about his street benn unplowed hehe. God I love it.

Do you work in NYC? If so do you know why the city's cleanup response has been the worst since Lindsay? Why is Bloomberg gloating that everything was ho hum yesterday and it was just like any other regular Monday in the city? Is the man delusional?

That's why PHL should have been the bullseye....people in NYC don't know how to deal with this much snow. We're used to it down here :devilsmiley:

The response last year was much better, and there were some doozies around here then, too. Two 12" storms and one 20" storm. It also seems to be a universal theme all across the area regarding unplowed streets, abandoned and stalled cars, and very high frustrations. The streets here are bad but not horrendous at this point, but many other towns around here still have unplowed streets and abandoned vehicles. My power has also been flickering on/off all morning.

The response last year was much better, and there were some doozies around here then, too. Two 12" storms and one 20" storm. It also seems to be a universal theme all across the area regarding unplowed streets, abandoned and stalled cars, and very high frustrations. The streets here are bad but not horrendous at this point, but many other towns around here still have unplowed streets and abandoned vehicles. My power has also been flickering on/off all morning.

Lol this brings back ideas of what Feb 1969 must have been like-- although we had this same kind of thing happen in Jan 1996 and the warmup that followed was actually worse than the storm itself!

BTW whats your final total JM? News12 said a trained weather spotter from East Rockaway came in with 23.5 inches and that's the highest amount on Long Island (not including Brooklyn and Queens.)

Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn got 25 inches and Staten Island, which was right next to the part of NJ that was in the middle of the megaband approached 30 inches.

Cantore was showing a video last night from Belmar NJ that showed a yard stick slowly getting buried under the snow. He said it was on flat land away from any source of drifting and thinks that area might have gotten 38-40 inches of snow!

Do you work in NYC? If so do you know why the city's cleanup response has been the worst since Lindsay? Why is Bloomberg gloating that everything was ho hum yesterday and it was just like any other regular Monday in the city? Is the man delusional?

He's banking on the big warmup and rainstorm (ehhh looks like the warmup wont be that big bad news for him lol) cleaning it up for him.

Funny as hell

it also doesnt excuse the horrendous response times of EMS (more like a lack of a response) or the horrendous job the MTA did when it left those riders stranded on the A train for 12 hours and didnt tell them what was happening. Those were travelers who were originally at JFK but when the airport shut down they were told to leave and ended up getting stranded on the train as the temp inside dropped to 15 degrees, no power, no light, no nothing.

Funny as hell

Sounds like you've never even been in NYC. If you know anything about NYC, tell me where you should move those cars to then? I'll be waiting for an enlightened response.

it also doesnt excuse the horrendous response times of EMS (more like a lack of a response) or the horrendous job the MTA did when it left those riders stranded on the A train for 12 hours and didnt tell them what was happening. Those were travelers who were originally at JFK but when the airport shut down they were told to leave and ended up getting stranded on the train as the temp inside dropped to 15 degrees, no power, no light, no nothing.

Actually the EMS does have an excuse. If the roads are truly impassable, they can't put their lives or other lives at risk.

Lol this brings back ideas of what Feb 1969 must have been like-- although we had this same kind of thing happen in Jan 1996 and the warmup that followed was actually worse than the storm itself!

BTW whats your final total JM? News12 said a trained weather spotter from East Rockaway came in with 23.5 inches and that's the highest amount on Long Island (not including Brooklyn and Queens.)

Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn got 25 inches and Staten Island, which was right next to the part of NJ that was in the middle of the megaband approached 30 inches.

Cantore was showing a video last night from Belmar NJ that showed a yard stick slowly getting buried under the snow. He said it was on flat land away from any source of drifting and thinks that area might have gotten 38-40 inches of snow!

Best estimate is around 20". Honestly though it fluctuates so much that it was really somewhat of a guess. There aren't many sheltered enough places in this town to take good measurements in a storm like this. My backyard has about 3.5 feet of snow in it, and my front yard 18" or so. Other yards have much less (I have bushes in front of my house that likely catch a lot of the blowing snow) and others more. The open areas have drifts of various sizes all over the place. I definitely wasn't expecting my power to be out for much of the morning though, and now that my street is finally plowed, I have to reshovel the driveway. :(

And another day of work missed-the LIRR out of Long Beach is closed and the nearest station with added stops is Lynbrook, although I hear trains are experiencing delays. Not to mention my car is re-buried!!

Best estimate is around 20". Honestly though it fluctuates so much that it was really somewhat of a guess. There aren't many sheltered enough places in this town to take good measurements in a storm like this. My backyard has about 3.5 feet of snow in it, and my front yard 18" or so. Other yards have much less (I have bushes in front of my house that likely catch a lot of the blowing snow) and others more. The open areas have drifts of various sizes all over the place. I definitely wasn't expecting my power to be out for much of the morning though, and now that my street is finally plowed, I have to reshovel the driveway. :(

And another day of work missed-the LIRR out of Long Beach is closed and the nearest station with added stops is Lynbrook, although I hear trains are experiencing delays. Not to mention my car is re-buried!!

It really reminds me of Jan 1996 when the LIRR was shut down for three days! The two best analogs for this storm might end up being Feb 1969 and Jan 1996 and not all for meteorological reasons lol.

Its great to see some consistency between the measurements, though, so it seems like we all probably got somewhere between 19-24 inches in SW Nassau-- just think-- had that band which reached into Staten Island and SW Brooklyn expanded just 20 miles east-- we would have gotten 25-30 inches ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt_r-jO3lKE&feature=player_embedded

From what I see the front end loader operator had no business being behind the wheel of that piece of equipment.

That's not an accurate measurement due to snow blowing off the roof. You can take at least 10" off that measurement.

Funny as hell

OK...if this is even a real poster (some check the IP address) versus someone started their third or forth account just to troll or post stupid stuff.

If you were plowing for 36 hours on 3 hours of sleep....they your really stupid, dangerous and need to be fired just like these folks on the video. If you can't deal with people, and be compassionate about folks asking about their street being plowed...than you are in the wrong line of business. It's like tow truck drivers with zero sympathy. I always laugh how plow truck drivers are ALWAYS saying people are in their way...as if they owned the street. IT'S NOT YOUR STREET. You are just providing a service....that's it!

They were legally parked....don't assume something you don't know. I gave the intersection in my previous post and from streetview you can see some restriction (no parking Tuesday, which I think is for the street sweeping), but not for where the two cars are parked. Behind them is a fire hydrant, so there is a no parking zone with a sign for that. Regardless of the parking restriction, it is UNLAWFUL to destroy a car over it. While I was joking about the Mafia thing, I was NOT joking that I suspect this was done on purpose...the stupidity is just way out there. I (unlike many) don't think most NYers are idiots...even the blue collar workers. If it was simply tiredness, then I can see 'accidentally' hitting the car as the passed or something, but this ongoing purposeful destruction of two vehicles (primarily the Ford Explorer...WHICH IS OWNED BY THE CITY).

Yes, it believe it was on purpose. Why would the front loaded lift and lower the front scoop to a height that would create worse damage. If the plow was sooo stuck, why was it turning in the direction of the vehicles. Why would the tow truck driver FLOOR the accelerator when first taking off with the chain tight. I'm sorry, I've covered a good number of storms, including DC's huge storms last year. THERE IS NO WAY that front loader was stuck. I've seen video from media friends in Minnesota and Chicago, and these loaders don't get stuck, not in snow that is 30" or even 40" (not that it was even that deep there at all).

For the mission is accomplished. I wanted a video that likely would have faded and got it viral....and got it on the air (seen it making the rounds on TV this AM). Stupid, on purpose, whatever, folks needed to see the disregard, and the likelihood these employees will be fired.

Archived