• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ECLIPSE CHASING!!!!

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

No, it's not about there being eclipses in those years, it's about the similarity in the path between 1994 and 2024.

Both are going from Texas to Upstate NY, the percentage of the sun covered is even the same in NYC (89%)

There are most definitely eclipse cycles-- they are called Saros Cycles.

1994 was also annular, so this year is very unique and rare for the area, can't wait!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

If New York is truly going to be as clear as what I just saw in the forecasts (unlikely, it's still 10 days out), then this will be where a lot of people will be coming.

The forecast I just saw for Syracuse (the closest big town to New York City for totality) is 0% high clouds, 0% midlevel clouds and 1% low clouds at 2 PM, about an hour and a half before totality.

https://spotwx.com/products/grib_index.php?model=gfs_pgrb2_0p25_f&lat=43.04795&lon=-76.14745&tz=America/New_York&label=Syracuse, New York

Who cares if it's a big town or not? 

20 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

I have a room booked in SYR area, but just in case clouds sneak in faster, I’ve also booked a room just north of Albany. The plan would be to drive to Plattsburgh that morning. I assume 87 will be a zoo.

Plan on leaving Jersey early (5:00, maybe 4:00) Monday morning.  Tentative destination Batavia, NY but will adjust along the way depending on any cloud coverage or arriving clouds.  Thinking of getting room Monday night to avoid the crowds heading back.  

33 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Plan on leaving Jersey early (5:00, maybe 4:00) Monday morning.  Tentative destination Batavia, NY but will adjust along the way depending on any cloud coverage or arriving clouds.  Thinking of getting room Monday night to avoid the crowds heading back.  

I can't leave until 7.30 am for personal reasons, really hampering my options.  I am thinking somwhere in the eastern fingerlakes - auburn or skaneateles.  Not the best totality duration, but better than no totality for sure

20 minutes ago, rygar said:

I can't leave until 7.30 am for personal reasons, really hampering my options.  I am thinking somwhere in the eastern fingerlakes - auburn or skaneateles.  Not the best totality duration, but better than no totality for sure

You might be fine.  I'm only leaving extra early because have no idea what traffic will be like.  Hoping most get in place by Sunday night and traffic is ok on Monday morning.  Bigger concern is everyone leaving once it it done.  That's why thinking of getting a room Monday night and coming home early Tuesday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superstorm said:

I have a room booked in SYR area, but just in case clouds sneak in faster, I’ve also booked a room just north of Albany. The plan would be to drive to Plattsburgh that morning. I assume 87 will be a zoo.

I'm thinking there's a chance clouds might creep in plus Syracuse is on the edge of totality, I'm thinking that heading north from there would be a good idea.  The further north and east the better I would think.

People from NY are panicking for some reason in the other eclipse thread..... are the chances of clouds in the totality region getting higher?  Specifically talking about Syracuse and the area just north of there.

wow Lee Goldberg talking about cloud cover moving in for next Monday too-- but he said it looks like high clouds for now.

Just now, gravitylover said:

Yeah the downslope areas of the 'Daks might be the clearest. @Superstorm I expect 87 to be terrible so if all goes according to plan I'll be off it by about sunrise. It might be nice to sit in the park on the lake in Plattsburgh. 

People from NY are panicking for some reason in the other eclipse thread..... are the chances of clouds in the totality region getting higher?  Specifically talking about Syracuse and the area just north of there.

wow Lee Goldberg talking about cloud cover moving in for next Monday too-- but he said it looks like high clouds for now.

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Who cares until about Friday or Saturday-forecasts this far out are too iffy

26 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

The ridge looks like it will be much narrower now than earlier runs were showing so we’ll  probably have to wait until  the weekend for the specific cloud conditions for the eclipse.

New run

2C4A6AB2-F3C5-46F5-8DA5-393369780B88.thumb.png.24fe1afb43b53cb65e84fce505b2309c.png

Old run

607251C9-67B4-400F-832A-72720961ABBE.thumb.png.534d0df77b70590c971fe237538cf5ad.png

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The ridge looks like it will be much narrower now than earlier runs were showing so we’ll  probably have to wait until  the weekend for the specific cloud conditions for the eclipse.

New run

2C4A6AB2-F3C5-46F5-8DA5-393369780B88.thumb.png.24fe1afb43b53cb65e84fce505b2309c.png

Old run

607251C9-67B4-400F-832A-72720961ABBE.thumb.png.534d0df77b70590c971fe237538cf5ad.png

are the models becoming worse now for the same reason they were bad all winter?

38 minutes ago, bluewave said:

New run

Old run

Looks like that trough is moving east more quickly, this might be better for Texas and Arkansas and worse for us (but still good northeast of here)

Oddly enough, 6 days out and the best looking area, as of now, is probably VT/NH/Maine and one of the worst is Texas, which is not what climo would tell us (good friends of mine are departing for Texas shortly for the eclipse and a week of vacation), although we know this can change significantly over the next several days. All three sources below are fairly similar on this (I'm guessing the Times and AccuWeather are both using the NWS NBM for cloud cover, but not sure).

We're continuing with our plan of waiting until the day before to make a decision on where to go within fairly easy driving distance, i.e., roughly between about Cleveland (~7.5 hrs/470 miles) and Jackman Maine (~8 hr/500 miles), with Watertown, NY being the closest point of totality (~5 hrs/310 miles), although we'd likely pick a bit north of Burlington VT as our top choice if Burlington and Watertown were looking both clear (north of BTV is ~5.5 hr/340 miles). We'd then drive close to that destination Sunday afternoon/evening, stay in a hotel and then drive the rest of the way Monday morning to some point of totality (right on the center line if possible).

https://www.accuweather.com/en/sola...orecast-what-will-the-weather-be-like/1636042

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/science/solar-eclipse-cloud-cover-forecast-map.html

ybpNLH0.png

Screenshot-2024-04-02-at-9.43.03-AM.png?w=632

11 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Oddly enough, 6 days out and the best looking area, as of now, is probably VT/NH/Maine and one of the worst is Texas, which is not what climo would tell us (good friends of mine are departing for Texas shortly for the eclipse and a week of vacation), although we know this can change significantly over the next several days. All three sources below are fairly similar on this (I'm guessing the Times and AccuWeather are both using the NWS NBM for cloud cover, but not sure).

We're continuing with our plan of waiting until the day before to make a decision on where to go within fairly easy driving distance, i.e., roughly between about Cleveland (~7.5 hrs/470 miles) and Jackman Maine (~8 hr/500 miles), with Watertown, NY being the closest point of totality (~5 hrs/310 miles), although we'd likely pick a bit north of Burlington VT as our top choice if Burlington and Watertown were looking both clear (north of BTV is ~5.5 hr/340 miles). We'd then drive close to that destination Sunday afternoon/evening, stay in a hotel and then drive the rest of the way Monday morning to some point of totality (right on the center line if possible).

https://www.accuweather.com/en/sola...orecast-what-will-the-weather-be-like/1636042

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/science/solar-eclipse-cloud-cover-forecast-map.html

ybpNLH0.png

Screenshot-2024-04-02-at-9.43.03-AM.png?w=632

Beware that the forecast is quickly changing, you're better off in Vermont, looks like both Syracuse and Watertown will be close to the cloud line and the trend isn't good.

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Just read that 33% of people are unaware that looking directly at the Eclipse can cause retinal damage.  In 1970, I dared to take a glimpse, after miserably failing at the pinhole through cardboard "scam" technique, and now I was diagnosed with a 20% hearing loss in one ear.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Beware that the forecast is quickly changing, you're better off in Vermont, looks like both Syracuse and Watertown will be close to the cloud line and the trend isn't good.

That's why I said the forecast could change significantly, which is why we're keeping our options wide open...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

Just read that 33% of people are unaware that looking directly at the Eclipse can cause retinal damage.  In 1970, I dared to take a glimpse, after miserably failing at the pinhole through cardboard "scam" technique, and now I was diagnosed with a 20% hearing loss in one ear.

Huh?  Hearing?  How would your hearing be affected?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

during totality it's perfectly safe, but not during the partial phases.

I bought this double filter system to take pictures, one filter blocks 99.999% of all visible light and the other one blocks all UV and all IR.

• Thanks 1