Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Someone has to mention Feb 23 obs

40/70 Benchmark

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Wasn’t meaning you..just think it’s kind of a waste of effort.   But to each their own. 

I didn't take it personally, but how is it a waste of effort? Why didn't we just quit medicine back in the 1800's?? We couldn't keep people alive past 55, anyway...why bother upgrading models past the LFM...forecasting weather is hard, so why bother....loser's lament.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Unless it’s a major event, I’m out too. But obviously there’s still like 5-6 weeks left for something like that. 

The problem with “being out” in New England in snow threats and cold in favor of warmth is that it rarely ever acquiesces to that particular demand. 2012 was a rare exception. Usually it’s mostly a shit sandwich which then makes me start rooting for snow stat-padder events because it beats 41F mist with a “nice” day being 54F self-destructing sunshine day. 

Well, if there was ever a period to take your chances with that, its during this Pacific regime.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Unless it’s a major event, I’m out too. But obviously there’s still like 5-6 weeks left for something like that. 

The problem with “being out” in New England in snow threats and cold in favor of warmth is that it rarely ever acquiesces to that particular demand. 2012 was a rare exception. Usually it’s mostly a shit sandwich which then makes me start rooting for snow stat-padder events because it beats 41F mist with a “nice” day being 54F self-destructing sunshine day. 

I’ve said this like 3 times last week, when folks wanted out and giving up before Tuesday happened.  Folks want out, but what they will get isn’t any better lol. 

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I’ve said this like 3 times last week, when folks wanted out and giving up before Tuesday happened.  Folks want out, but what they will get isn’t any better lol. 

The irony of the dude calling seasonal forecasting "a waste of time" implying that that there isn't a better use of time than tracking storms that will never arrive. :lol: To me there is something liberating in the acceptance of weather and withdrawing emotional investment, regardless of how quickly it becomes more pleasant to be outside.

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I didn't take it personally, but how is it a waste of effort? Why didn't we just quit medicine back in the 1800's?? We couldn't keep people alive past 55, anyway...why bother upgrading models past the LFM...forecasting weather is hard, so why bother....loser's lament.

For the pro forecasting world sure. Hobbyists that spend so much time and effort, and have families and full time jobs and other responsibilities etc etc… I don’t see the point.   But it’s a free country still, so knock yourselves out by all means.  

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

People say they’re out, yet they’re daily checking every model run and posting. Thats not out. Out means leaving weather , models etc …

I'm not checking models.....draft hasn't started yet, so there really isn't. much to do when I have a break from the kids and work.

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

For the pro forecasting world sure. Hobbyists that spend so much time and effort, and have families and full time jobs and other responsibilities etc etc… I don’t see the point.   But it’s a free country still, so knock yourselves out by all means.  

I don't see the point in riding around aimlessly on a snowmobile for an entire weekend in North Pube Brook, ME, but like you said...to each their own. Everyone has their own outlets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The irony of the dude calling seasonal forecasting "a waste of time" implying that that there isn't a better use of time than tracking storms that will never arrive. :lol: To me there is something liberating in the acceptance of weather and withdrawing emotional investment, regardless of how quickly it becomes more pleasant to be outside.

That will never arrive… you’re a fortune teller now?  I have investments up north, so that’s why I’m curious as well. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

We all check models. Hell I do in the summer. I think being out just means I’m done. Nothing to look forward to. That’s where I am. Been a very long 2+ months. 

I honestly don't unless there is a threat...I will to do a March preview next week, but after that, I won't.

So there won't be anything better? Maybe I borrowed your crystal ball? Sorta, kinda?

Better meaning some real nice sustained spring weather.  We aren’t gonna get that for quite a long time …especially since we are on Feb 18th currently, that is a pretty sure bet. Don’t need a crystal ball for that.  

You want to continue to make long range forecasts…that’s great Ray.  I didn’t single you out.  And I didn’t mean you in particular either when I said they shouldn’t.    But most all the time, they don’t usually work out all too well.  Just an opinion and there was no malicious intent.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Personally even if it’s not sustained Spring, 60F on the nape is good. Fine by me. Just get me out of this purgatory of a winter. 

Ya I hear that too. But it’s tough when it doesn’t last but a day or two, and we’re back to misery mist and 43 degrees too. 

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We all check models. Hell I do in the summer. I think being out just means I’m done. Nothing to look forward to. That’s where I am. Been a very long 2+ months. 

The NMME and Canadian may or may not be suggesting an East Coast tropical system in September.  Looking out is why the El Nino/la Nina threads get multiple posts per day.

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Better meaning some real nice sustained spring weather.  We aren’t gonna get that for quite a long time …especially since we are on Feb 18th currently, that is a pretty sure bet. Don’t need a crystal ball for that.  

You want to continue to make long range forecasts…that’s great Ray.  I didn’t single you out.  And I didn’t mean you in particular either when I said they shouldn’t.    But most all the time, they don’t usually work out all too well.  Just an opinion and there was no malicious intent.

This is true, but there are plenty of worthwhile endeavors that involve a relatively high rate of failure....and like I said, it's also about the learning experience. I just don't see the need to judge, that's all....we all have our shit and no one forces you to read it. There are plenty of people who would think we are nuts for spending hours upon hours lifting every week, too lol

• Like 1

This is true, but there are plenty of worthwhile endeavors that involve a relatively high rate of failure....and like I said, it's also about the learning experience. I just don't see the need to judge, that's all....we all have our shit and no one forces you to read it. There are plenty of people who would think we are nuts for spending hours upon hours lifting every week, too lol

All good points…I don’t disagree at all.  Fair enough my friend.  Point taken :-). 

• Like 1

Long range outlooks like anything else you have a passion for is all good. Nothing wrong with continuing something that gets your mind off the everyday bullshit.

That’s part of the reason I’m so aggravated. Winter does that for me. Even though I’m not exactly in the snowiest place in New England, tracking storms and eventually watching them occur gets me by. Without that, it’s redrum lol. But there is something satisfying for me with that besides the love for snow. 

I’ve paid the price for sure last two winters. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• dendrite changed the title to Someone has to mention Feb 23 obs
  • dendrite pinned this topic
  • dendrite unpinned this topic