Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 19th Storm OBS Thread

DCAlexandria

22 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Hold up. That map has FDK at over 6” with that storm. What the hell am I missing? There is no damn way I got that much snow. The radar even indicated we missed the best banding. I call significant BS on that. Unless this is both storms combined…then it would be low-balling. I’m beyond confused right now 

Probably just a geographical error. Northern FDK county and Wash cty up in Sabillasville received just over 6" 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, anotherman said:

Anyone else think this week reminded them of February 2010 on a smaller scale?

Not at all. More like Feb 2015 on a smaller scale. Or even December 2013. Fun times, but nothing like like 2010.

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

Hold up. That map has FDK at over 6” with that storm. What the hell am I missing? There is no damn way I got that much snow. The radar even indicated we missed the best banding. I call significant BS on that. Unless this is both storms combined…then it would be low-balling. I’m beyond confused right now 

I also question that 6.8” in the Hereford area of Baltimore county. That can’t be right. Probably measured the snow depth.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, nj2va said:

Definitely an over performer. Estimating 15-18”+. Epic month of January for the mountains.

Light upslope snow and 7 degrees.

7d9fd1d32fe8024a7f357b641e15a8b9.jpg
44f8f692a23a8a962d39308402c895d8.jpg

Thats amazing, hope you enjoyed! I would’ve loved to ski out there if it was maybe 15 degrees warmer.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2024 at 9:38 PM, MillvilleWx said:

I’m glad to see a pro met here disputing the map. You can do whatever you want with this info, as I believe you work for NWS?

There are a number of issues with that map, particularly with southern Maryland. You may have seen my complaint earlier ITT about how my spotter reports disappeared. I E-mailed LWX asking why.

The issue seems to be that this year they started using “Dept of Highways” measurements in the PNS reports, which are not accurate IMHO. They told me that because I live next to State Highway, we both came up as “Prince Frederick 1 S” so their software must have overwritten my reports. I was told not to worry though, that my reports are still in their system. I don’t believe that explanation, as my reports are not on this map, nor on LWX site. Furthermore, I sent my report in- twice- with a timestamp after State Highway, and yet it still is not there anywhere. They used the larger total from State Highway (2.5”) to make a 2” contour over Calvert.

I reported 1.4” while State Highway had 2.5” There is zero chance State Highway is correct- all I can think of is that State Highway measures snow depth. I have clear visibility of their entire site, there is definitely no snowboard, nor any open place for them to measure.

I also questioned the lack of spotter reports for Calvert, they told me I was the only spotter that sent in a report in Calvert. I have no idea if that’s accurate or not, but it seems odd. I always see multiple reports from Calvert with any storm.

So if you see any spots on that map whose totals seem odd, check and see if it was based on a “Dept. of Highways” measurement. I doubt I was the only one with this issue.

• Like 3

On 1/20/2024 at 11:11 PM, Fozz said:

Not at all. More like Feb 2015 on a smaller scale. Or even December 2013. Fun times, but nothing like like 2010.

I also question that 6.8” in the Hereford area of Baltimore county. That can’t be right. Probably measured the snow depth.

That 6.8 was measured by a highway worker, probably in a snow pile. no where close to 6.8 in the monkton area. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I’m glad to see a pro met here disputing the map. You can do whatever you want with this info, as I believe you work for NWS?

There are a number of issues with that map, particularly with southern Maryland. You may have seen my complaint earlier ITT about how my spotter reports disappeared. I E-mailed LWX asking why.

The issue seems to be that this year they started using “Dept of Highways” measurements in the PNS reports, which are not accurate IMHO. They told me that because I live next to State Highway, we both came up as “Prince Frederick 1 S” so their software must have overwritten my reports. I was told not to worry though, that my reports are still in their system. I don’t believe that explanation, as my reports are not on this map, nor on LWX site. Furthermore, I sent my report in- twice- with a timestamp after State Highway, and yet it still is not there anywhere. They used the larger total from State Highway (2.5”) to make a 2” contour over Calvert.

I reported 1.4” while State Highway had 2.5” There is zero chance State Highway is correct- all I can think of is that State Highway measures snow depth. I have clear visibility of their entire site, there is definitely no snowboard, nor any open place for them to measure.

I also questioned the lack of spotter reports for Calvert, they told me I was the only spotter that sent in a report in Calvert. I have no idea if that’s accurate or not, but it seems odd. I always see multiple reports from Calvert with any storm.

So if you see any spots on that map whose totals seem odd, check and see if it was based on a “Dept. of Highways” measurement. I doubt I was the only one with this issue.

1 hour ago, mappy said:

That 6.8 was measured by a highway worker, probably in a snow pile. no where close to 6.8 in the monkton area. 

Just gonna throw my 0.02 in here. Not sure about NWS Sterling, but Blacksburg made a BIG push for CoCoRaHS folks and trained spotters to please send in snow reports, especially if using snowboards, sending emails out to folks. WHY would the Dept Of Highways suddenly be the 'source' for reports if that is the case? I've never seen a snowboard placed next to a road or highway, or seen a state truck stop and take a measurement, just saying. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wxdude64 said:

Just gonna throw my 0.02 in here. Not sure about NWS Sterling, but Blacksburg made a BIG push for CoCoRaHS folks and trained spotters to please send in snow reports, especially if using snowboards, sending emails out to folks. WHY would the Dept Of Highways suddenly be the 'source' for reports if that is the case? I've never seen a snowboard placed next to a road or highway, or seen a state truck stop and take a measurement, just saying. 

LWX used to be really engaged with spotters too. They’d send out mass E-mails to spotters, etc. Years ago they would often call me up or E-mail me directly asking for info, especially if Prince Frederick was being particularly impacted by some event. That seems to have changed recently, I never hear anything nowadays.

11 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I know people that work at LWX and I’m going to make sure they see this response. It is very important we gain the most accurate information possible, and I have reason to believe that some of these measurements are from snow depth and not storm total based on what is shown on this map. 

In Texas, we used TXDot for measurements away from populated areas because we didn’t have much of a choice. With such a density of reports available in areas around Central MD, this shouldn’t be the primary method of measurement and should very well be a secondary need if no data is available. That’s my 2 cents on the matter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1