Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan/Early Feb Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

Just now, brooklynwx99 said:

yeah, every ensemble has been leading to that look with no push back on the timing. it’s kind of uncanny

As long as it's not kick-canny!! :D  But seriously, yeah, the level of consistency with that look even as it is now almost approaching the edge of the ops range is unreal.  Let's hope it is real!!

• Haha 4

I know everyone thinks I think it shouldn’t snow anymore. No. My arguments are just we are losing marginal events. 20% maybe v 50 years ago. By whatever metric though and even factoring that in we’re so overdue for an epic dump.  This is our chance. It’s been forever but everything’s lined up at the right time of year (I’d rather slightly late than early!) in a Nino and an stj about to go bonkers. It’s time to cash in. 

• Like 19

4 minutes ago, LeesburgWx said:

Question, it appears we have an amazing potential pattern setting up. Would you rather be in NYC to Boston for this or PA south to say Richmond? I like where we are, especially if we get the 50/50 low in place for a bit

Mid Atlantic seems like a good spot. Maybe even further south if we do really go into a sustained +PNA (which may or may not happen). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LeesburgWx said:

Question, it appears we have an amazing potential pattern setting up. Would you rather be in NYC to Boston for this or PA south to say Richmond? I like where we are, especially if we get the 50/50 low in place for a bit

NYC south, really. BOS might have a hard time with strong blocking

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Not me. Just about every Nino pattern match produced multiple big storms 

Did you think by next week 2/3 we begin to see the modeled snow mean start to move South closer to our area, as well as increase? 

Or, do you think it is still too early? 

2 minutes ago, frd said:

Did you think by next week 2/3 we begin to see the modeled snow mean start to move South closer to our area, as well as increase? 

Or, do you tyhink it is still too early. 

I don't typically look at or pay much attention to those snow maps, but a couple of people the other day posted the Euro extended mean and extended control, and there was a mention that those had a fair bit more snow for this area compared to awhile back.  So maybe it's "moved" that way somewhat?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I don't typically look at or pay much attention to those snow maps, but a couple of people the other day posted the Euro extended mean and extended control, and there was a mention that those had a fair bit more snow for this area compared to awhile back.  So maybe it's "moved" that way somewhat?

Thanks, I would hope, and expect as the ops get closer to the extended range modeling the snow mean, given the potential of the pattern should indeed move South and increase. I have not seen any snowfall mean maps recently. I am pumped for what the models are showing.   

13 minutes ago, frd said:

Or, do you think it is still too early? 

It jumped south a bit the last 2 days already. My guess it continues to bleed that way 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, frd said:

Thanks, I would hope, and expect as the ops get closer to the extended range modeling the snow mean, given the potential of the pattern should indeed move South and increase. I have not seen any snowfall mean maps recently. I am pumped for what the models are showing.   

The potential storm for the 5th is showing signs of being a southern slider. Have to see about temps but the snow mean has ticked up to our south. I made a post this morning illustrating why this storm may track further south, or even dampen/weaken as it moves towards the SE coast. Long way to go though, and lots of details to be worked out.

1707156000-H6F5fL8IGRM.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I know everyone thinks I think it shouldn’t snow anymore. No. My arguments are just we are losing marginal events. 20% maybe v 50 years ago. By whatever metric though and even factoring that in we’re so overdue for an epic dump.  This is our chance. It’s been forever but everything’s lined up at the right time of year (I’d rather slightly late than early!) in a Nino and an stj about to go bonkers. It’s time to cash in. 

We sure are overdue!  Epic dumps (some did not hit the whole region):  1979, 1983, 1987, 1993, 1996, 2000, 2003, 2010 (2), 2016 -- every 4th to 5th winter on average with the longest stretches being 7 and 6 years.  Now we are at 8 years...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

shift the Aleutian low west a bit and there you have it

there were seven major storms in these three years in Feb thru early March

It's going to be hard for the NAO to get that negative though. Your composites are more than double the ensemble mean in the NAO area... today was the first major +NAO Jan 21-28 since 1997. Sometimes it takes a little while to shift that state, especially recently, we haven't been able to sustain a -NAO for several Winters/decades. 

Just now, stormtracker said:

@CAPE i went ahead and did it bro.  Its Friday. What the hell why not. Dude said they didn’t make any last year and he can’t get any. I got the last bottle.  Gratuitous Superman watch pic. 

IMG_3325.jpeg

IMG_3324.jpeg

Awesome. It really is worth it, and even 12 bucks a bottle isn't really out of line. Get it cold, then sip it slow, and savor it- as it warms and opens up, the complex notes become more apparent. Enjoy it!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

It's going to be hard for the NAO to get that negative though. Your composites are more than double the ensemble mean in the NAO area... today was the first major +NAO Jan 21-28 since 1997. Sometimes it takes a little while to shift that state, especially recently, we haven't been able to sustain a -NAO for several Winters/decades. 

we have gotten multiple significant blocks over the last two years

Just now, weatherCCB said:

Nice. And you got the right glass for it too.

sorry for the banter. 
pattern looks ripe, when the rubber band snaps back, look out

I grabbed that from Google images lol, but I am going to pour it in a glass like that(minus the logo)

55 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

NYC south, really. BOS might have a hard time with strong blocking

Ok cool, so breaking this down further, this means my popcorn eating entertainment of weenie meltdowns is likely going to be best found in the NE/Bos area forum if this pattern sets up as advertised. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Omfg an ensemble mean 30 days out is never going to have comparable anomaly depth to an actual historical period. Any outlier members mute the anomaly. You’ve made this statement two days in a row and it’s ridiculous 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, LeesburgWx said:

Ok cool, so breaking this down further, this means my popcorn eating entertainment of weenie meltdowns is likely going to be best found in the NE/Bos area forum if this pattern sets up as advertised. 

With the amount of moisture available, I don't see why Boston couldn't get in on it too. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Omfg an ensemble mean 30 days out is never going to have comparable anomaly depth to an actual historical period. Any outlier members mute the anomaly. You’ve made this statement two days in a row and it’s ridiculous 

There is a big difference between the advertised pattern and your analogs. That +200dm anomaly over Greenland vs +70dm is a big difference.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 4