Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15th-17th 2024 Arctic Blast/Snow Event

John1122

1 minute ago, realdeal2414 said:

Can someone explain what QPF means? I’m just along for the ride here l, don’t have much to offer. Thanks everyone who brings the info!

It stands for the amount of precipitation. Quantitative Precipitation Forecast

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wonder if it has ingested the 0Z GFS, I would assume so.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I think it’s a combination of all mods with some tweaks.

Regardless, that’s one of the best runs I’ve ever seen for Tennessee

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

I think it’s a combination of all mods with some tweaks.

Regardless, that’s one of the best runs I’ve ever seen for Tennessee

As George Constanta might say, there is shrinkage

Screenshot_20240112-235930_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240112-235943_Chrome.jpg

Just now, John1122 said:

The GEFS mean was similar to the OP but lesser amounts towards Chattanooga and more towards the Kentucky border north of Nashville. One member just absolutely crushed the Eastern Valley near the mountains and it skewed the mean a little and there's a 5 inch bullseye east of Knoxville. 

The Dandridge Dollop?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There was a set up like this in the early 2000s, I can't remember the year but I was probably 10 miles north of the snow band and it just went on all day with light snow where I got about an inch in 10 hours and just south of me got 4 to 6 inches. It was painful, 24 hours out I was in the bullseye, and was under a WSW for 4-8 inches.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Stovepipe said:

The Dandridge Dollop?

Sort of but bigger. About the southern half of Jefferson and a good part of Sevier co. The mean is a bit more East Tn centric than I'd noticed. The 3.5+ inch mean is basically Scott down to Cumberland and points east. Surprised that no one out west made it to 3.5 inches. 

These are all 10:1 btw.  

• Like 1

I'm not as good as Lil Flash but this seems to be the window. 

The UKIE/NAM are around the middle line to the NW line. The RGEM/ICON are around the middle line with some spillover. The GGEM and GFS are around the middle line and tilted toward the southern line. That's our window and I feel like it's set. Some but probably not all in the window will see 3+ inches and some will be on the outside looking in ala the Kermit picture from a few days ago. 

JYCUzcG.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There was a set up like this in the early 2000s, I can't remember the year but I was probably 10 miles north of the snow band and it just went on all day with light snow where I got about an inch in 10 hours and just south of me got 4 to 6 inches. It was painful, 24 hours out I was in the bullseye, and was under a WSW for 4-8 inches.  
I actually like the current placement of the precip shield 60-72 hrs out. I feel like suppression might increase totals for the eastern Valley to TN/NC border as we dial into the event. But not so shifting that the I-75 corridor doesn't score big in your neck of the woods. I suppose this is our biggest chance of a good snow in a number of years if modeling doesn't crap the bed this weekend. Hopefully, as the higher resolution mesoscales come into better range, they maintain 3-6" coverage for all or most of East Tennessee.
  • Like 2

I'm honest to goodness not even sure what to make of that NAM run. Sends a massive dry warm nose north while a monster snow/sleet and freezing rain band sits over the same area for a good 12 hours then pops a low off the South Carolina coast, but the precip band still sits in the same place for a few more hours.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic