Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

4 minutes ago, Heisy said:

The way we sort of failed tonight on the models runs is certainly feasible. I wouldn’t discount these solutions at all. We still need the right spacing and timing of all the shortwaves involved. Cmc/ GEFS shows that method of failure where you have the stalled out front near TN valley and then once the main shortwave finally redevelops it’s too late except for NYC/NE whatever.

So much to figure out I wouldn’t panic about this one until we get around 96 hours.

6z gfs can easily suddenly be a huge hit. I’ve seen it a million times in these situations

You see how the snow mean kind of skips us? That’s from the redevelopment factor and it’s def possible.

c3af79aeab90f317f09df4a72a0c08eb.jpg
e4439224ce472f8064c3472d74b82b62.jpg

The big reason to consider discounting any of the solutions we’ve seen so far is that we still have to clear that second cutter before the models can zero in on a likely outcome. Until then, everything is low confidence and low skill.

I don’t think the model runs tonight “failed” at all. If anything, they’ve picked up a signal that there will be a storm or two with cold air, plus some favorable trends. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

LR GFS has a nice -EPO.. that's what I want to see.. and +PNA. Let's get this thing going.. Whole world and the subtropics are really wet right now. 

i think the moon is wet too

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ji said:

its not fine...i need to see something big and blue like i saw 9 days out in Jan 2016

Yeah like something over the Gulf of Alaska.  Correlation works less after Jan, into Feb-Mar though. +0.53 in Jan, +0.3 in Feb, +0.2 in March <(closer we can get to GOA low with a mean trough over the east). 

Terp is right about that cutter. It’s a big storm and will impact how things look up top leading into the 16-17th event. Models are trying their best to hone in on the 500mb setup, but it’s pretty clear that theyre having trouble deciphering what’s going on given the significant run to run changes at h5 on each model. Once that cutter comes and goes, the envelope of outcomes should tighten drastically.

I actually thought today’s trends at 500mb were encouraging. Surface didn’t quite get there due to timing / strength of certain features but there’s plenty of time for those pieces to come together between now and Tuesday. Snow mean on the EPS looked the best it’s looked all season earlier today. The GEPS median looks much better tonight as well. It’s doable, but we will need a little luck to get there - as always.

Pretty obvious we all want to see something significant after what we’ve endured the past few years, but I’d sure as heck take a light to moderate snow event to get everyone on the board and get this late winter snow rally started. Some snow cover leading into the 19th and beyond when the longwave pattern gets tasty AF? Yes please.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic