• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2024

Some heathy gusts this morning. Hopefully, this will be the last big wind event until next fall—barring any tropical systems that come our way. 

And with the exceptionally active season predicted there will be at least one bound to head our way :blink:

The way the wind has been a steady roar for hours is kind of at odds with most of the stations around here (on WU), it seems that it should be higher than 6-9 with gusts to 13. The local mesonets are ~20/G30-35. Are most homeowner setups just too low to get decent measurements when it's like this? It sure is nice out of the wind in the sun :sun:

31 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

The way the wind has been a steady roar for hours is kind of at odds with most of the stations around here (on WU), it seems that it should be higher than 6-9 with gusts to 13. The local mesonets are ~20/G30-35. Are most homeowner setups just too low to get decent measurements when it's like this? It sure is nice out of the wind in the sun :sun:

Most are too low right out of the gate and then questionable installation locations. Throw in there trees/bushes, other buildings and it’s tough to get decent wind readings from a PWS. I have my anemometer mounted about 10 feet higher up a pole that the station itself but it’s still well below 30’ and while it’s in an open spot in the yard it’s a lower spot overall and there are still plenty of trees around. Had a couple gusts to 29mph here this morning which is right up there with some of the highest I’ve recorded here. KMGJ had a few gusts to 47mph this morning, still into the 30s and 40s now this afternoon. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2024 at 2:44 PM, IrishRob17 said:

@rclabits been a while, I hope that you are well.

Thank you Rob. I’ve been in a catch 22 loop with my account. I was only able to visit and couldn’t get help. I would request a password reset, put in my address and screen name and one or the other wouldn’t be recognized. My daughter, heaven bless her, asked me how the forum was doing, hearing my situation and not being able to contact Admins for help, she said she would get an account so that I could use it to contact the Administrators for help with mine. Today the reset request worked. This whole mess had to be something I did. My problem now is trying to figure out what it was so I don’t do it again. Im happy to be back. Firum withdrawal symptoms at my age are distinctly unpleasant. Thank you for asking ….. and …. As always 

• Like 2

As nice as these days have been my driveway is still wet and the sides are still soggy, not to the point where water comes up around your shoes when you step on it but it still squishes. Someday my neighbors will move and I can cut the thicket down so the sun and wind can get to the ground. Until then as long as this wet regime hangs around I guess I'll just watch the moss grow and crumble the terminally soggy pavement :( 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rclab said:

Thank you Rob. I’ve been in a catch 22 loop with my account. I was only able to visit and couldn’t get help. I would request a password reset, put in my address and screen name and one or the other wouldn’t be recognized. My daughter, heaven bless her, asked me how the forum was doing, hearing my situation and not being able to contact Admins for help, she said she would get an account so that I could use it to contact the Administrators for help with mine. Today the reset request worked. This whole mess had to be something I did. My problem now is trying to figure out what it was so I don’t do it again. Im happy to be back. Firum withdrawal symptoms at my age are distinctly unpleasant. Thank you for asking ….. and …. As always 

Glad to see you back Rich! Check your inbox, I sent you a PM. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, gravitylover said:

As nice as these days have been my driveway is still wet and the sides are still soggy, not to the point where water comes up around your shoes when you step on it but it still squishes. Someday my neighbors will move and I can cut the thicket down so the sun and wind can get to the ground. Until then as long as this wet regime hangs around I guess I'll just watch the moss grow and crumble the terminally soggy pavement :( 

The plant diseases and soil issues are gonna be totally unmanageable this year. I have close to zero motivation to grow anything at this point

On 3/14/2024 at 2:18 PM, Dark Star said:

But I'm jealous of your location...

We'll be out in a few years, come and get it. 

15 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

The plant diseases and soil issues are gonna be totally unmanageable this year. I have close to zero motivation to grow anything at this point

Right? I was looking at the garden area today and started cleaning up but kept sinking into mildewy ickiness. I'll probably just do hanging stuff with fresh soil this year. 

I can't deal with another wet weekend  It's really gonna suck if it's as wet as some of the models are showing. 

I’m tired of these record rains we have been having. I just replaced my sump pump and installed a silent check valve in my basement, so I guess this will be the chance to test it. Hopefully it works out.

Unfortunately I have to work Friday night into Saturday at the wastewater treatment plant and rain especially the amount being forecast means a rough night for all of us, hopefully the heavy stuff comes after 7 am.

9 hours ago, wishcast_hater said:

I’m tired of these record rains we have been having. I just replaced my sump pump and installed a silent check valve in my basement, so I guess this will be the chance to test it. Hopefully it works out.

Unfortunately I have to work Friday night into Saturday at the wastewater treatment plant and rain especially the amount being forecast means a rough night for all of us, hopefully the heavy stuff comes after 7 am.

It will be after 7

33 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

32.5 degrees and just under a half inch and pouring, a truly lovely morning...not

Good morning Rob. In the main thread you mentioned the trees and bushes are encased in ice. With winds possibly gusting later is yours and the surrounding northern areas in any danger. Please be careful if you go out. As always ….

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good morning Rob. In the main thread you mentioned the trees and bushes are encased in ice. With winds possibly gusting later is yours and the surrounding northern areas in any danger. Please be careful if you go out. As always ….

Good morning! I anticipate the ice to be melted off as the temps slowly rise before the winds get going later.  

• Like 2