Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '23-'24 Piss and Moan/Banter Thread

IWXwx

1 hour ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Was just thinking, wasn't that storm yet another 11th hour collapse of what had been consistently modeled high-end totals? All it was was f**king cold.

It looked like a major blizzard for places as far west as this area, and then it started bumping it eastward as guidance kept delaying the bomb.  

Got <2" with that here as well, but the high winds/extreme cold were extremely impressive.  Can't imagine how bad that would have been with 6"+ OTG.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Are you guys starting to see some buds on trees? Noticed Ontario twitter has been sharing photos of really green grass, tiny buds and some very early spring gardens trying to come to life.

No buds that I've seen here. Its your typical dark gray winter landcsape but without snow and with green and brown grass. Not sure how familiar you are with trees, but some trees winter buds are big, and during winter mild spells people sometimes confuse them for budding (ie magnolia trees). Not saying your wrong, just an observation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

It looked like a major blizzard for places as far west as this area, and then it started bumping it eastward as guidance kept delaying the bomb.  

Got <2" with that here as well, but the high winds/extreme cold were extremely impressive.  Can't imagine how bad that would have been with 6"+ OTG.  

We had 2.4" here with blizzard conditions. More like a plains blizzard than the publics perception of blizzard = deep snow. 

After the wind finally calmed down Christmas Eve we picked up another 2.4" overnight which gently blanketed the drifty landscape and made for a postcard worthy Christmas.

Screenshot_20231230_112025_Photo Editor.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

No buds that I've seen here. Its your typical dark gray winter landcsape but without snow and with green and brown grass. Not sure how familiar you are with trees, but some trees winter buds are big, and during winter mild spells people sometimes confuse them for budding (ie magnolia trees). Not saying your wrong, just an observation. 

Ya, I haven't seen any tree buds personally. The gardens on the other hand I have seen and I have seen insects out flying around. Not to often I see those end of December. 

• Like 1

A couple weeks ago we discussed all time low snowfall records being possibly broken. Though it still is really early are you starting to at least entertain the idea? 

I think Toronto ends up around 20" on the season which is well below average but not record low. Just enough events in the second half of winter to make sure we don't hit record low.  Going to be interesting though. 0.5" expected NYE 

1 hour ago, mississaugasnow said:

A couple weeks ago we discussed all time low snowfall records being possibly broken. Though it still is really early are you starting to at least entertain the idea? 

I think Toronto ends up around 20" on the season which is well below average but not record low. Just enough events in the second half of winter to make sure we don't hit record low.  Going to be interesting though. 0.5" expected NYE 

I say this every year at this time, and this December's pattern was about as bad as it gets, but personally I think it's way way too early to entertain. We have nearly 4 more months of measurable snow potential. I don't think it's too early to think we finish below average snowfall, or that this will definitely not be a favorite winter of anyone's lol, but wayyy too early to talk futility. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I say this every year at this time, and this December's pattern was about as bad as it gets, but personally I think it's way way too early to entertain. We have nearly 4 more months of measurable snow potential. I don't think it's too early to think we finish below average snowfall, or that this will definitely not be a favorite winter of anyone's lol, but wayyy too early to talk futility. 

When would you start to talk futility? 

If I remember correctly April 2016 was coming out of Nino and Toronto saw a 4” storm in early April and a few more 1” event. I believe that April was our snowiest month that winter. 

That December also saw almost no snow. That winter ended with around 25” with 8” coming in April. So I feel pretty good starting to talk top 5 least snowiest winter for Toronto in the next few weeks.  

8 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

When would you start to talk futility? 

If I remember correctly April 2016 was coming out of Nino and Toronto saw a 4” storm in early April and a few more 1” event. I believe that April was our snowiest month that winter. 

That December also saw almost no snow. That winter ended with around 25” with 8” coming in April. So I feel pretty good starting to talk top 5 least snowiest winter for Toronto in the next few weeks.  

There's too many factors in play, but I would say to give an example, earliest I could talk futility would be late February with above average temperatures forecast for the foreseeable future and 10 inches or less of snow on the season so far. Detroit's least snowy winter on record was 12.9" in 1936-37. 

What is Torontos top 5?

45 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

There's too many factors in play, but I would say to give an example, earliest I could talk futility would be late February with above average temperatures forecast for the foreseeable future and 10 inches or less of snow on the season so far. Detroit's least snowy winter on record was 12.9" in 1936-37. 

What is Torontos top 5?

Wow 1936-37 saw about 24” (had to find that as Pearson starts a year later) 

1st 2011-2012 saw 16.8”

2nd 2009-2010 saw 20.6”

3rd 1952-1953 saw 21.2” 

4th 2006-2007 saw 23.7” 

5th 2015-2016 25.9” (1936-37 but that wasn’t Pearson) 

Currently Toronto has seen 4.1” so we would need to see a pretty snowy mid January to mid April to make sure we don’t crack the top 5 this year 

47 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Wow 1936-37 saw about 24” (had to find that as Pearson starts a year later) 

1st 2011-2012 saw 16.8”

2nd 2009-2010 saw 20.6”

3rd 1952-1953 saw 21.2” 

4th 2006-2007 saw 23.7” 

5th 2015-2016 25.9” (1936-37 but that wasn’t Pearson) 

Currently Toronto has seen 4.1” so we would need to see a pretty snowy mid January to mid April to make sure we don’t crack the top 5 this year 

Detroits at 2.5". The top five lowest:

12.9" - 1936-37

13.2" - 1881-82

13.7" - 1948-49

15.2" - 1918-19

15.4" - 1965-66

• Like 1

1 minute ago, michsnowfreak said:

Detroits at 2.5". The top five lowest:

12.9" - 1936-37

13.2" - 1881-82

13.7" - 1948-49

15.2" - 1918-19

15.4" - 1965-66

So for you guys to have a bad year you really have to have a bad year lol 

One storm in March can make sure you don’t finish top 5. Toronto doesn’t have that luxury 

Just now, mississaugasnow said:

Just enough distance between Detroit and Toronto to have different record low years. I think 2009-2010 you guys had an okay winter and obviously the opposite happened in 1936-1937 

I don't remember the specifics but I do remember how snow was for some reason. evading Toronto and Maine in 2009-2010. Detroit finished with 43.7" that winter and I had 46.1" in my backyard. Not surprised to see 2006-07 on your list because Lake effect snow really saved us here. The only noteworthy synoptic storm was the Valentine's Day storm but we ended up with more lake effect than we would normally see this far out of the belt. Detroit finished with a still low 30.3". We all know that 2011-12 sucked, but Detroit's 26.0" does not rank other than just being sucky. What's interesting about seeing 2015-16 on your list is that while Detroit did ok at 35.3", Toledo did terrible and Flint had a snowy winter. So definitely a gradient year. Lastly, 1952-53 was pretty much a disaster everywhere. At 16.6" it just missed Detroit's top 5.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Toronto saw 49.6” in 1948-49

And 52” in 1965-1966 

wild the difference!

1948-49 was a warm snowless winter here. 13.7" Detroit, 13.6" Toledo, 14.3" Chicago. Not sure what happened in Toronto, but sounds like a lot of good luck lol.

1965-66 is actually a winter that is on many people's analog list this year. It featured a warm snowless december followed by an abrupt early-mid january turn towards bitterly cold weather which lasted into mid february. For Detroit, it was the definition of cold and dry with the only saving grace that we did manage to keep white ground throughout that month long CAD stretch while the east coast was pummeled with storms 

• Like 1

Just now, michsnowfreak said:

1948-49 was a warm snowless winter here. 13.7" Detroit, 13.6" Toledo, 14.3" Chicago. Not sure what happened in Toronto, but sounds like a lot of good luck lol.

1965-66 is actually a winter that is on many people's analog list this year. It featured a warm snowless december followed by an abrupt early-mid january turn towards bitterly cold weather which lasted into mid february. For Detroit, it was the definition of cold and dry with the only saving grace that we did manage to keep white ground throughout that month long CAD stretch while the east coast was pummeled with storms 

Toronto is far enough east that I might take a look at Rochester-Albany in 48-49. Could be some inland runners? 

I’m excited for the second half of winter because I do think we see a turn towards more snow and cold and even if we hit top 5 least (25”) it will feel like a snowy second half 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Rochester in 1948-1949 saw 50.9” and 103.2”in 1965-66

Albany in 1948-1949 saw 44.2” and 67.1 in 1965-66 

4 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Rochester in 1948-1949 saw 50.9” and 103.2”in 1965-66

Albany in 1948-1949 saw 44.2” and 67.1 in 1965-66 

Very interesting. 1965-66 is not a surprise whatsoever, it was well-known that a lot of storms were  hitting the East and missing my area, but I'm a bit more surprised about 1948-49.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Pretty sure he ate it and weirdly enough mittenwx showed up the same day with the same vibe.

Yup exactly. December 23 palm guy out, December 23 mittenwx in. The new England moderators will gladly assist in removing trolls if need be, so assuming mittenwx is cromartie (Brown City, nice touch :lol:) the leash will not be long.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Yup exactly. December 23 palm guy out, December 23 mittenwx in. The new England moderators will gladly assist in removing trolls if need be, so assuming mittenwx is cromartie (Brown City, nice touch :lol:) the leash will not be long.

He is gone, it was him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All of you winter weenies are so triggered by anyone that says the word warm. Well, guess what. Dec. is going to come in warm. Warm, warm and warm. Sweating in your sweaters all you winter weenies? Going to ban someone else that says the word warm a lot?

Solidary for hardypalmguy and anyone else that says the word warm.

8G3A3106.thumb.JPG.4b4a190649b17f5e57d4ff290e35e111.JPG

The palm here is doing just fine. Getting so big it is larger than my biggest black background. Going to have to get creative to keep it isolated from now on.       Palms in the midwest for the win. Warm, Warm and lets hope for more warm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1