• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

I know I took a break at the right time when I return and the chat is focused on Kamu's shrinking snow pile, honeybees, and sunflower seeds/millet/wild bird food.

Nothing has changed from the thought I posted last week. Tantalizingly close tease 12th-15th (still think more wet than white, could be wrong). Pattern change happens at HL....stj becomes active and kicks a wave under us (suppressed?) 18th-20th. Bigger shortwave in the stj moves east after the 21st and will likely be the first legit threat for a juiced southern storm 23rd give or take. Then weeklies Continue the look into the first part of March with maybe a pattern-ending large threat as the calendar flips...give or take a couple days....but that is wayyyy out in fantasy land. 

Biggest takeaway for now....patience still. Not over yet. 

41 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I know I took a break at the right time when I return and the chat is focused on Kamu's shrinking snow pile, honeybees, and sunflower seeds/millet/wild bird food.

Nothing has changed from the thought I posted last week. Tantalizingly close tease 12th-15th (still think more wet than white, could be wrong). Pattern change happens at HL....stj becomes active and kicks a wave under us (suppressed?) 18th-20th. Bigger shortwave in the stj moves east after the 21st and will likely be the first legit threat for a juiced southern storm 23rd give or take. Then weeklies Continue the look into the first part of March with maybe a pattern-ending large threat as the calendar flips...give or take a couple days....but that is wayyyy out in fantasy land. 

Biggest takeaway for now....patience still. Not over yet. 

384 hrs away from another great run at 384 hrs. Keep fighting the good fight!

• Like 1

Since 2000 using the 1991-2020 average temperature for December through February which is 32.8 degrees here in Chester County - we have seen 10 winters that have averaged below normal temps.... but none have been below normal since the DFJ of 2015 - winters with below normal DJF have been 2000/2001/2003/2004/2005/2009/2010/2011/2014/2015

In comparing the NCEI average post observation temperature adjustments applied to the actual recorded averages recorded by the NWS Chester County Coop data show the average temperature data was adjusted downward every single year from 1895 through 2004 or for 110 consecutive years. The greatest adjustments were reductions in average temperatures of 2.76 degrees in 1945 / 2.69 degrees in 1943 /2.62 degrees in 1942 / 2.58 degrees in 1951. Conversely. In the 18 years since 2005 every year has been adjusted upwards with the exception of 2019 with the greatest adjustments upward to temperatures being applied to 2018 +1.87 degrees and 2005 with a +0.66 degree adjustment. https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/monitoring/climate-at-a-glance/county/time-series/PA-029/tavg/ytd/12/1895-2023

It's been good to see the sun for a somewhat extended period and my obs for highs the past couple days have been mainly mid 40s (45/46/45) with lows in the upper 20s - mid-30s (35/29/30).

This morning the radiational cooling and dry air got me much colder, where so far my low has been 27.

Currently 27 with dp 15.  Looks like a torchy weekend ahead.

Sunny skies should be the rule through Thursday. Chillier today with temps remaining in the 30's but warming trend starts tomorrow topping out well into the 50's by Saturday. Shower chances increase on Sunday night and much colder air appears likely with even some wintry weather chances next week.
Records for today: High 66 (2008) / Low 6 below (1895) / Precipitation 3.00" (1896) / Snow 12.3" (2010)
image.png.a369fcd1c96dbceec55681f5f42ecc60.png

5 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

It's been good to see the sun for a somewhat extended period and my obs for highs the past couple days have been mainly mid 40s (45/46/45) with lows in the upper 20s - mid-30s (35/29/30).

This morning the radiational cooling and dry air got me much colder, where so far my low has been 27.

Currently 27 with dp 15.  Looks like a torchy weekend ahead.

Wiggum criteria for 2/14?

• Weenie 1

Some really interesting statistics for Chester County that really makes you question some of the historical temperature trending data we see. Incredibly the NCEI data set for Chester County PA. Of note from 1895 through 1970 (77 years) the reported average Chester County temperatures for 73 of those 77 (95%) years is now reported as lower than any available reporting site in the county in those years. So are we to assume all stations in Chester County were faulty for 95% of the reporting observations through 1970??

7 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Well we didn't quite get there the last time it hit close to 60, let alone 80 down in D.C. (although I think more north could still get flakes)!

I think the model "climatology" pieces are unable to handle the changes in climate.

I think it is just we are due for less snow after completing 2 of our most snowy decades in our history in the 2000's and 2010's - cyclical pattern of climate change

image.thumb.png.e4c021b121a633c9295ccecb38923658.png

15 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Are we not interested in a  973 low over Wilmington Tuesday? 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_25.png

That's a Harrisburg, north and west special!  Even with us now being pretty much at the "coldest" time of year for water temps (due to the natural lag), the surface temps are still in the mid-upper 40s off the coast.

240207.038.0900.n24.jpg

The 0z Euro has that low further south.

floop-0z-ecmwf_full-2024020700.prateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp.us_ne-02072024.gif

• Like 1