• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

With most spots seeing over an inch of rain yesterday we are now up to 7.55" of rain this month our 4th wettest January on record - so in the last 2 months we have recorded 16.32" of rain and melted snow. That is about 1/3 our normal annual precipitation. The good news it looks dry this week with seasonable temps near normal. Colder weather looks likely by next weekend.
Records for today: High 69 (1947) / Low 7 below (1928) / Rain 1.46" (1990) / Snow 13.0" (1966)

image.png.e4ad3f8b4629939d989f6b4b08766966.png

On 1/25/2024 at 1:56 PM, JTA66 said:

To be clear, I'm just mangled flake hunting imby. To see white rain during our relax/Pac-puke/MJO-hates-us phases/biblical jet extension/every teleconnection we need negative is positive and vice versa pattern would be a small victory. :weenie:

Another post that didn't age well, but again, it was a long, long shot at best.

Finished with 1.10", currently breezy, 38F. Sounds like all our eggs are now in the late Feb basket. At least it's a leap year, so we got that going for us. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

38F/Mostly cloudy, breeze picking up. Squirrels making silly noises in the trees...must mean something is in the future.

cloudy.jpg

Kamu's squirrels are looking for their mound and traveled up there to find one! :lol:

The sun did manage to pop out earlier this morning but that didn't last long.  It's currently 40 and overcast with dp 32.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Kamu's squirrels are looking for their mound and traveled up there to find one! :lol:

The sun did manage to pop out earlier this morning but that didn't last long.  It's currently 40 and overcast with dp 32.

A couple 2ft or so mounds still around at the train station, apt complexes and shopping centers but slim pickings for the squirrels...  

1-29-2024 11-56-35 AM.jpg

32 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Mostly cloudy today, tomorrow and cloudy Wednesday to wrap up the cloudiest January ever.

I'm looking forward to more cloudy, cool, breezy, squirrels making silly noises in the trees days since snow is off the radar for now.

Adam Joseph had his tight whites in a uproar during his noon broadcast today about January cloudy days....

38F/Cloudy

aj.jpg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

They've still got a little to work with, the little brother pile in the background is now the bigger of the two, due to the fact that it's in the shade. Some relief tonight, first night below freezing in a while, according to the forecast (30F).

20240129_182754.thumb.jpg.6725ba6f11d8c553f31827215f94d3a3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

Here it usually means that the cat is outside, lol.

Probably. I don't own a cat but there is one who roams around time to time.

Overall, I'm trying to convince myself they know something we don't about a upcoming blizzard...we're running out of time.

35F/Cloudy

T minus 50: 

sp.jpg

12 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Overall, I'm trying to convince myself they know something we don't about a upcoming blizzard...we're running out of time.

35F/Cloudy

T minus 50: 

sp.jpg

Yeah, looking at the forecast it's going to be a pretty boring week. Models aren't exactly encouraging in the near term either. But the weenie in me sees this calm period as a lead up to some interesting weather. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

Yeah, looking at the forecast it's going to be a pretty boring week. Models aren't exactly encouraging in the near term either. But the weenie in me sees this calm period as a lead up to some interesting weather. 

I may have to sit down and have a talk with myself for the 10th time and realize this winter may not pan out. The one week we had w/ below freezing temps and 2 minor-mod snow events may be all she wrote. 

At least we'll be below freezing tonight (pred low 25F)....so your snow pile and fellow snow piles existing will live another day.

34F/cloudy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

The ensembles scream storm but it's hard to get all amped up for Hrs 384-507.  

What has been a mighty cloudy month looks to finish that way with a couple days in our future. Temps across the area while near freezing this morning are a good 10 degrees warmer than normal. The clouds will help keep our high temps not too far from normal in the upper 30's the next 2 days. We could see some light snow showers in some spots tonight but otherwise a dry seasonably chilly stretch of weather with maybe some sunshine for Thursday through the weekend for a change.
Records for today: High 69 (1947) / Low minus 7 (1928) / Precipitation 1.47" (1939) / Snow 5.1 (2000)
image.png.94bf7aff07e1bb2db218e4dd24a22dbd.png

12 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

35F/Cloudy

T minus 50: 

sp.jpg

Yeah, this is why playing the 10 days away from being 10 days away game is getting to be dangerous now. Still, I'll remain optimistic late Feb into March produces.

32F

25 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Yeah, this is why playing the 10 days away from being 10 days away game is getting to be a dangerous now. Still, I'll remain optimistic late Feb into March produces.

32F

Cecily last night pretty much cancelled/postponed winter till "maybe" around mid-Feb with graphics and such which is probably true so we're probably screwed for another couple weeks.

I may punt winter soon and root for a cool, cloudy Spring with some house rattling- transformer exploding T-Storms...

32.jpg

• Weenie 1

32 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Cecily last night pretty much cancelled/postponed winter till "maybe" around mid-Feb with graphics and such which is probably true so we're probably screwed for another couple weeks.

I may punt winter soon and root for a cool, cloudy Spring with some house rattling- transformer exploding T-Storms...

32.jpg

I've basically already punted. December was a bust, we got a week of winter in Jan, and now we're counting on the back half of Feb to produce just as we're leaving our prime snow climo.

Again, maybe we go on a heater for a few weeks late Feb into March, but overall this has been another disappointing winter as a whole.

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Had a few flurries blow past here. 36 degrees.

If your looking for something way out in the boonies, GFS fantasy land had a Valentines Cleveland Steamer this morning to a nice SECS off OC Maryland on the 12Z..

Hey, it looks trackable. 

Yep, a couple of stray things falling...

35F

7 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Never tracked clouds before but studying the data the last hour it's been every bit as bad as it seemed to be. Also the last five years about the cloudiest period on record.

I don't speak Chuck, but he posted in the MA forum a few months back that the increase in cloud cover indicates we are headed for a snowier era in the years ahead, so there's that.

12 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

I don't speak Chuck, but he posted in the MA forum a few months back that the increase in cloud cover indicates we are headed for a snowier era in the years ahead, so there's that.

Family member says why did they do whole house solar if it's always going to be cloudy lol

• Haha 1